The land of the FAT

gipper

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2011
Americans are a bunch of fat people, but we’re not smokers.

Rates of obesity in the US had changed little during the 1960s and ’70s, according to the National Institutes of Health, but soon increased sharply: from 13.4% in 1980 to 34.3% in 2008 among adults, and from 5% to 17% among children.

Now, an estimated 68% of the American food supply is hyperpalatable, and most of those were introduced to consumers when the food makers were owned by tobacco companies. (Some of the aforementioned food makers are no longer owned by tobacco companies.)

According to Fazzino’s research team, foods developed by tobacco-owned corporations were 29% more likely to be fat-and-sodium hyperpalatable, and 80% more likely to be carbohydrate-and-sodium hyperpalatable, than foods that were not tobacco-owned.

“Tobacco companies were consistently involved with owning and developing hyperpalatable foods during the time that they were leading our food system,” she said. “Their involvement was selective in nature and different from the companies that didn’t have a parent tobacco-company ownership.”
How Big Tobacco created America’s junk food diet and obesity epidemic

I don't know if you can blame long gone Tobacco companies for the recent generations of fat people, especially kids. The food industry continues loading up food products with sugar, salt and fat and people keep buying it.

I don't know if you can blame long gone Tobacco companies for the recent generations of fat people, especially kids. The food industry continues loading up food products with sugar, salt and fat and people keep buying it.
According to the column I posted, tobacco companies own many processed food companies.

Am trying to think of really fat people in key decision making positions in the US .
Not many I guess as I cannot immediately think of any without research .

So the US problem must be Fat Heads .Lots and lots of them .

Americans are a bunch of fat people, but we’re not smokers.

Rates of obesity in the US had changed little during the 1960s and ’70s, according to the National Institutes of Health, but soon increased sharply: from 13.4% in 1980 to 34.3% in 2008 among adults, and from 5% to 17% among children.

Now, an estimated 68% of the American food supply is hyperpalatable, and most of those were introduced to consumers when the food makers were owned by tobacco companies. (Some of the aforementioned food makers are no longer owned by tobacco companies.)

According to Fazzino’s research team, foods developed by tobacco-owned corporations were 29% more likely to be fat-and-sodium hyperpalatable, and 80% more likely to be carbohydrate-and-sodium hyperpalatable, than foods that were not tobacco-owned.

“Tobacco companies were consistently involved with owning and developing hyperpalatable foods during the time that they were leading our food system,” she said. “Their involvement was selective in nature and different from the companies that didn’t have a parent tobacco-company ownership.”
How Big Tobacco created America’s junk food diet and obesity epidemic

Interesting.

Growing up, we sadly had that "one girl" who I thought at the time--all the way through elem to high school--was simply massive. Saw her in an old picture recently and was shocked. Not at ALL that big compared to kids in 2023.

Our foods suck

Interesting.

Growing up, we sadly had that "one girl" who I thought at the time--all the way through elem to high school--was simply massive. Saw her in an old picture recently and was shocked. Not at ALL that big compared to kids in 2023.

Our foods suck
I don’t recall any fat or obese kids in my high school. In fact, most of us were skinny. My how times have changed.

“Does this dress make me look fat,” she asked.

He sized her up and replied, “No; but your ass sure makes that dress look huge.”

— a slightly modified joke from James P. Connolly.
A married man and woman were at home and the woman was looking in the mirror. She said how she hated getting old. Her hair was turning gray and falling out, her teeth were giving problems, she had wrinkles, a double chin and her boobs were sagging.

Her husband said, "At least you eye sight is still good.

processed food companies.
1697416642288.png

maybe on netflix???? ~S~

Am trying to think of really fat people in key decision making positions in the US .
Not many I guess as I cannot immediately think of any without research .

So the US problem must be Fat Heads .Lots and lots of them .
Our leaders make decisions about things they know nothing about. They depend on lobbyists and experts for information, and these people always have a self-serving agenda. It is rare that the lobbyists and experts have the 'general welfare' in mind.

Forum List

Back