The Kentucky Derby-history is bad you know.

Ray9

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2016
“Tis summer and the darkies are gay”; words from a song by Stephen Foster in the 1850’s. The minstrel song is a sad ode to the plight of Black America and slavery purportedly inspired by Harriet Beecher Stowe’s Uncle Tom’s Cabin. The song is part of our history and it will be played at the Kentucky Derby. The lyrics have long since been sanitized in Foster’s “My Old Kentucky Home”.

Is it a shame that Foster cannot be resurrected so he could be burned at the stake for using such insensitive language? Foster no doubt believed he was calling attention to a tragic injustice but calling Black’s darkies? Well, that is the stuff of riots. Why don’t we just use modern education to wipe out everything Foster ever wrote so we can make the world a better place?

History is bad you know.

Why was Foster singing about Homosexual Darkies In his Kentucky home?

“Tis summer and the darkies are gay”; words from a song by Stephen Foster in the 1850’s. The minstrel song is a sad ode to the plight of Black America and slavery purportedly inspired by Harriet Beecher Stowe’s Uncle Tom’s Cabin. The song is part of our history and it will be played at the Kentucky Derby. The lyrics have long since been sanitized in Foster’s “My Old Kentucky Home”.

Is it a shame that Foster cannot be resurrected so he could be burned at the stake for using such insensitive language? Foster no doubt believed he was calling attention to a tragic injustice but calling Black’s darkies? Well, that is the stuff of riots. Why don’t we just use modern education to wipe out everything Foster ever wrote so we can make the world a better place?

History is bad you know.

Um, things are revised all the time.

For instance, the song "Money for Nothing" by Dire Straits originally had a lyric "

See the little f*****t with the earring and the makeup
Yeah buddy that's his own hair
That little f*****t got his own jet airplane
That little f*****t he's a millionaire

Even though the butt of the joke is the two working class guys commenting on what they see on music videos, you will be hard pressed to find anyone play the song with THAT lyric included. It has been edited out.

History is bad you know.
I have always been against censorship. I would have kept the lyrics and had open discussions about it.

The only good thing about the Kentucky Derby is it reminds me of the hilarious piece Hunter S. Thompson wrote about it and starting the rumor that the Black Panthers were going to attack the Derby. Well worth the read.

Where is Black Lives Matter? Don't they realize the RACIST heritage of Kentucky and the Derby? How dare we glorify White Privilege by letting women wear fancy hats and drink Mint Juleps, clearly harkening back to antebellum days. BOYCOTT BOYCOTT!!!!!
:aargh::aargh::aargh::aargh::aargh:

Forum List

Back