The Jesus Nut.

Not what you're thinking.

In my line of work I occasionally have ride in or arrange for others to ride in helicopters. Personally I hate them. I don't like flying anyway and these are the worst way to do it. Anyway, now that my quarantine is over(as of this afternoon) I had to call on a local air taxi service to arrange for some rapid transportation (not for me) from the airport to a remote location. The were working on one of the 6 seater Bells they use All the time and I was shocked to see that the entire main rotor is held on by one, that's right, just one, single large nut. Known colloquially as the Jesus Nut for fairly obvious reasons.

I'm never getting in one of those things again.

Actually the situation is not much better for small 2 or 4 seat airplanes. I helped my Physics teacher restore a Belanca Viking back around high school.. Wings comes off with a single bolt.. But if you lose one wing -- LOL....

The famous film director (and genius imho) Stanley Kubrick got his pilot's license, He loved to fly until he read a book on the physics of flight. He never got in a plane again. :D

2600.jpg

My dad parachuted out of an airplane six times during WW2. He never set foot in a commercial flight after that and was deathly afraid of them.
I don't know if I could jump.

I do know I don't wanna try.

Me neither, screw that.

Sorry about the "leftist" joke, I know it was bad. :auiqs.jpg:
Sorry for my reaction.

In my line of work I occasionally have ride in or arrange for others to ride in helicopters. Personally I hate them. I don't like flying anyway and these are the worst way to do it. Anyway, now that my quarantine is over(as of this afternoon) I had to call on a local air taxi service to arrange for some rapid transportation (not for me) from the airport to a remote location. The were working on one of the 6 seater Bells they use All the time and I was shocked to see that the entire main rotor is held on by one, that's right, just one, single large nut. Known colloquially as the Jesus Nut for fairly obvious reasons.

Actually the situation is not much better for small 2 or 4 seat airplanes. I helped my Physics teacher restore a Belanca Viking back around high school.. Wings comes off with a single bolt.. But if you lose one wing -- LOL....

The famous film director (and genius imho) Stanley Kubrick got his pilot's license, He loved to fly until he read a book on the physics of flight. He never got in a plane again. :D

2600.jpg

My dad parachuted out of an airplane six times during WW2. He never set foot in a commercial flight after that and was deathly afraid of them.
I don't know if I could jump.

I do know I don't wanna try.

Me neither, screw that.

Sorry about the "leftist" joke, I know it was bad. :auiqs.jpg:
Sorry for my reaction.

No biggie. The fault was mine: You posted something and I jumped at the opportunity to make it political.

Last edited:
I'm certainly not an aircraft mechanic, but what they showed me looked different.
They got a cotter pin, it's not going anywhere.
Yeah, it had a big pin in it and a keeper on the end of the pin.

I'm still not getting in.
It's the same thing as a prop on a boat

View attachment 418222
The boat doesn't suddenly turn into a rock if it comes off.

I may never fly again.
I don't blame you, after 10 years of flying, I felt my luck ran out.

One time I flew in a helicopter and it was fun.

Was anybody shooting at you at the time?

Yes and it was fun.

I'm certainly not an aircraft mechanic, but what they showed me looked different.
They got a cotter pin, it's not going anywhere.
Yeah, it had a big pin in it and a keeper on the end of the pin.

I'm still not getting in.
It's the same thing as a prop on a boat

View attachment 418222
The boat doesn't suddenly turn into a rock if it comes off.
True but the cotter pin works , the nut never spins off, it gets jammed in place.

I may never fly again.
I don't blame you, after 10 years of flying, I felt my luck ran out.

One time I flew in a helicopter and it was fun.

Was anybody shooting at you at the time?

Yes and it was fun.

I figured as much. Notice I referenced a Kubrick film (Full Metal Jacket). I had a older buddy I worked with in my ER that was a Huey pilot in Vietnam. I asked about that scene in the movie. He said "yeah, some guys were that crazy, no question." Richard was a good man. Become a damn fine ARNP and helped many people and saved many lives. A quietly intense man. Loved working with him. :thup:

Ya gotta have faith.

Ya gotta have faith.
That's exactly what the mechanic said.

Forum List

Back