The Issa/Cummings Exchange, an overview.

TemplarKormac

Political Atheist
Mar 30, 2013
The Land of Sanctuary
A blow by blow analysis of the exchange between Cummings and Issa during the IRS targeting hearing:

0:01 to 1:06 Issa asks Lois Lerner seven questions, she takes the 5th on each of them.

1:08 Right as Issa adjourns the hearing, Cummings says, "Mr. Chairman, Mr. Chairman, I have a procedural question."

1:21 Issa turns around to acknowledge him. Cummings, instead of asking his procedural question, proceeds to attack Issa by saying "Mr. Chairman, you cannot run a committee like this; you just cannot do this. We're better than that as a country, we're better than that as a committee. I've asked for a few minutes to--" (Issa leaves for a moment, camera moves to far end of room, Cummings is unintelligible at this point, camera then switches back to Cummings) "I am a ranking member of the committee and I want to ask a question!"

1:45 During Cumming's tirade, Issa returns and sits back down. Cummings can be heard saying, "What are we hiding, what's the big deal?"

1:52 Issa says to the crowd, "You are all free to leave, but the gentleman is free to ask his question." Cummings replies by thanking Issa at 1:58.

2:02 Cummings repeats, "Mr. Chairman, I have one procedural question, which goes by the way to get the information you just asked (for)!"

2:06 Issa asks Cummings, who at this point is becoming increasingly agitated: "What is your question?"

2:08 Cummings then replies, "Let me say what I have to say. I've listened to you for the past 15 or 20 minutes. Let me say what I have to say."

2:15 Cummings the again repeats: "Chairman, I have one procedural question."

2:16 Seeing that Cummings will not ask his question, Issa dismisses Lerner.

2:18 Cummings continues despite her being allowed to leave by saying, "But first I would like to use my time to make a few points: For the past year, the central Republican accusation in this investigation--- (unintelligible)."

2:30 Issa then, seeing that Cummings will not be asking any questions, says, "We're adjourned, close it down."

2:39 Issa can be seen giving the cut off gesture.

2:40 Cummings continues on his rant, with no attempt at a question being made.

2:44 During the rant, you can hear people chanting "shame, shame!"

2:58 Issa states one more time, "If you have a question..." Cummings interrupts, "If you will sit down and allow me to ask the question---" Afterwards he then goes on another tirade. At this point Cummings is out of order, and Issa proceeds to turn off his microphone.

3:29 Issa states in utter finality: "We had a hearing. It was adjourned. I gave you an opportunity to ask a question; you didn't have a question." Cummings answers, "I do have a question" at 3:35.

3:41 Issa leaves the room. At this time Elijah quips, "What are you hiding, Mr. Chairman?"

3:42 An individual on the floor, namely a liberal or a member of Cummings staff says, "He's taken the 5th, Elijah!"

(End of video at 3:45)

As you can see, Issa gave Cummings three distinct chances to ask his question, each time he continued making statements. This should dispel any notion by Democrats that Issa refused to let Cummings ask his question or arbitrarily shut off his microphone to "shut off the minority voice."

Jesse Jackson would have been wise to reconsider his words when he referred to Issa as "racist" for cutting off Cummings microphone, and that the Congressional Black Caucus should have known better than to file a resolution to have Issa removed from his chairmanship. It is clear by the video that Issa was acting well within his rights and within the Rules of Order governing the Committee on Oversight.

Last edited by a moderator:
A blow by blow analysis of the exchange between Cummings and Issa during the IRS targeting hearing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dqe8IVl2tt4

0:01 to 1:06 Issa asks Lois Lerner seven questions, she takes the 5th on each of them.

1:08 Right as Issa adjourns the hearing, Cummings says "Mr. Chairman, Mr. Chairman, I have a procedural question."

1:21 Issa turns around to acknowledge him. Cummings, instead of asking his procedural question, proceeds to attack Issa by saying "Mr. Chairman, you cannot run a committee like this; you just cannot do this. We're better than that as a country, we're better than that as a committee. I've asked for a few minutes to--" (Issa leaves for a moment, camera moves to far end of room, Cummings is unintelligible at this point, camera then switches back to Cummings) "I am a ranking member of the committee and I want to ask a question!"

1:45 During Cumming's tirade, Issa returns and sits back down. Cummings can be heard saying "What are we hiding, what's the big deal?"

1:52 Issa says "you are all free to leave, but the gentleman is free to ask his question." Cummings replies by thanking Issa at 1:58.

2:02 Cummings repeats "Mr. Chairman, I have one procedural question, which goes by the way to get the information you just asked (for)!"

2:06 Issa asks Cummings, who at this point is becoming increasingly agitated: "What is your question?"

2:08 Cummings then replies "Let me say what I have to say. I've listened to you for the past 15 or 20 minutes. Let me say what I have to say."

2:15 Cummings the again repeats: "Chairman, I have one procedural question"

2:18 Cummings continues despite her being allowed to leave by saying, "but first I would like to use my time to make a few points: For the past year, the central Republican accusation in this investigation--- (unintelligible)"

2:30 Issa then, seeing as how Cummings will not be asking any questions, says "We're adjourned, close it down."

2:44 During the rant, you can hear people chanting "shame! shame!"

2:58 Issa asks one more time. "If you have a question..." Cummings replies, "If you will sit down and allow me to ask the question---" Afterwards he then goes on another tirade. at this point Cummings is out of order, and Issa proceeds to turn off Cummings mic.

3:29 Issa states in utter finality: "We had a hearing. It was adjourned. I gave you an opportunity to ask a question; you didn't have a question." Cummings answers, "I do have a question" at 3:35.

3:41 Issa leaves the room. At this time Elijah quips "What are you hiding, Mr. Chairman?"

3:42 A individual on the floor, namely a liberal or a member of Cummings staff says "He's taken the 5th, Elijah!"

As you can see, Issa gave Cummings three distinct chances to ask his question, each time he continued making statements. This should dispel any notion by Democrats that Issa refused to let Cummings ask his question.

Jesse Jackson would be wise to reconsider his words when he referred to Issa as "racist", and that the Congressional Black Congress should have known better than to file a resolution to have Issa removed from his chairmanship. It is clear by the video that Issa was acting well within his rights and within the Rules of Order governing the Committee on Oversight.
What else is there to add? Nothing. The left just doesn't want the truth out there by this distraction. Mr. Cummings was given ample chance...but all he was there to do was grandstand if typical leftist fashion.

Perhaps this thread was a bit too overwhelming. But then again the silence is telling. It is clear to me that Cummings staged this display of his to paint Issa out as hiding something from the public. He uses ploys and exclamations such as "I AM A MEMBER OF THE CONGRESS OF THE UNITED STATES AND I AM TIRED OF THIS!"

It ultimately failed.

Maybe they know if they engage their brains would cause their heads to explode? That has to be it.

I dunno. I mostly attribute it to fear.
Indeed. Fear that they would have to admit the truth, hence cranial cramps.

Perhaps they are in need of this:

805-520-B.gif

1:08 Right as Issa adjourns the hearing, Cummings says, "Mr. Chairman, Mr. Chairman, I have a procedural question."

1:45 During Cumming's tirade, Issa returns and sits back down. Cummings can be heard saying, "What are we hiding, what's the big deal?"

1:52 Issa says to the crowd, "You are all free to leave, but the gentleman is free to ask his question." Cummings replies by thanking Issa at 1:58.

2:02 Cummings repeats, "Mr. Chairman, I have one procedural question, which goes by the way to get the information you just asked (for)!"

2:08 Cummings then replies, "Let me say what I have to say. I've listened to you for the past 15 or 20 minutes. Let me say what I have to say."

2:18 Cummings continues despite her being allowed to leave by saying, "But first I would like to use my time to make a few points: For the past year, the central Republican accusation in this investigation--- (unintelligible)."

2:30 Issa then, seeing that Cummings will not be asking any questions, says, "We're adjourned, close it down."

2:58 Issa states one more time, "If you have a question..." Cummings interrupts, "If you will sit down and allow me to ask the question---" Afterwards he then goes on another tirade. At this point Cummings is out of order, and Issa proceeds to turn off his microphone.

3:41 Issa leaves the room. At this time Elijah quips, "What are you hiding, Mr. Chairman?"

3:42 An individual on the floor, namely a liberal or a member of Cummings staff says, "He's taken the 5th, Elijah!"

As you can see, Issa gave Cummings three distinct chances to ask his question, each time he continued making statements. This should dispel any notion by Democrats that Issa refused to let Cummings ask his question or arbitrarily shut off his microphone to "shut off the minority voice."

Jesse Jackson would have been wise to reconsider his words when he referred to Issa as "racist" for cutting off Cummings microphone, and that the Congressional Black Caucus should have known better than to file a resolution to have Issa removed from his chairmanship. It is clear by the video that Issa was acting well within his rights and within the Rules of Order governing the Committee on Oversight.

Funny how Jackson's opinion is only good for liberals when they can use him, as they are Cummings.

I think Cummings' question was his concern for Guam, and it might tip over if we put too many military people on the Island.

OK, once again the liberal left is winning. What this whole thing is about is deflection, period and they are doing it. Jackson certainly is a spokes person for the liberal left and black people until it isn't convenient. That said here is another statement made:

"'Mr. Issa is a disgrace and should not be allowed to continue in a leadership role,' Rep. Marcia L. Fudge (D-OH), who leads the Congressional Black Caucus, wrote in a strongly worded letter to House Speaker John A. Boehner (R-OH)."

If Issa is not being accused of racism, instead of just using the rules for political advantage, then why the remarks from the racist black caucus?

This was a staged and planned event. Cummings obviously had no question or he would have blurted it out at his first chance. The liberals are using this to deflect from the real issue of Learner taking the fifth. They also are using a black man like they always use black men. Sad what they do.

Do you have a link to the section(s) of the committee's rules of order from which you determined that they proved Issa was in compliance?

Do you have a link to the section(s) of the committee's rules of order from which you determined that they proved Issa was in compliance?

For once why don't we ask you to prove he was not instead of your always implied BS?

For once why don't we ask you to prove he was not instead of your always implied BS?

The author of this thread claimed with certainty that Issa did not break the rules. I don't see it as unreasonable to expect some evidence to support that.

Otherwise it can be dismissed as an unsubstaniated opinion.

The author of this thread claimed with certainty that Issa did not break the rules. I don't see it as unreasonable to expect some evidence to support that.

Otherwise it can be dismissed as an unsubstaniated opinion.

Really?

Is that how you debate?

Issa was accused of not following protocol.

To this day NO ONE has been able to prove it.

Forum List

Back