The ice melts on Kilimanjaro

Chris

Gold Member
May 30, 2008
For some years now, dramatic before-and-after pictures have shown a decline in the glaciers on Tanzania's Mount Kilimanjaro. But now, researchers have combined those photographic surveys with actual measurements of the ice taken on the mountain.

Satellite photos show snow and ice cover on Mt. Kilimanjaro in 1993 (top) and 2000
In a report published Tuesday, researchers say the melting on Kilimanjaro is accelerating and that in a few years there may be no ice left.

"Between the period of February 2000 to February 2009, we have lost over 50 percent of the ice thickness at a rate of 0.54 meters per year," said Prof. Lonnie Thompson of Ohio State University. "If you would project that into the future, that ice field will disappear sometime before 2018."

VOA News - Scientists Measure Accelerating Ice Loss on Kilimanjaro

1970: Mankind is making the Earth Cooler and we have the science to back it up

2000: Mankind is making the Earth Warmer and we have the science to back it up

So Chris ... why aren't the environmental protection laws enacted making any difference ... based on your assertions those laws seem to have done more damage and now you want more?

Maybe we could drop a shitload of golf balls on there... They are white and don't melt...

I've got a couple of old beat up ones I could donate to the cause...

I know that I must do what's right
As sure as Kilimanjaro rises like Olympus above the Serengeti
I seek to cure what's deep inside, frightened of this thing that I've become

Toto

Hmm ... Chris has fallen awfully silent suddenly ... it's a little late for him to decide to go to work now ... isn't it?

There was no scientific consensus that mankind was making the earth cooler in 1970.

There was no scientific consensus that mankind was making the earth cooler in 1970.

:eusa_eh: How many times do facts have to smack you across the face before you finally acknowledge them?

Chris is to facts as Superman is to bullets...totally impervious.

Forum List

Back