The guy who wrote "Lone Survivor"

SmedlyButler

Gold Member
Jan 12, 2014
Hopeville
Patrick Robinson, has some other books you might like if you enjoyed "Lone Survivor". I'll let him do the description.

"The character I ultimately invented was a SEAL Lt. Commander named Mackenzie Bedford. Inevitably he had a lot of Marcus about him, because the character of Marcus Luttrell is the everlasting blueprint for the consummate Navy SEAL warrior. Mack Bedford is similarly strong, lethal, daring, wry, and, often, full of wit, uttering the unthinkable joke in the face of ensuing doom.

Returning for a moment to Lone Survivor, how could one ever forget the wounded Murphy's observation in the middle of the fire-fight, with the mountain littered with bodies, Danny shot, the escape route barred, Marcus with a nearly broken back. Said the Lieutenant from Long
Island, "Marcus, this really sucks !"

I've tried to gift that sense of deep irony to Mack Bedford in my latest hardback, "Diamondhead" in which I bring my new hero into being. And every time I read a bit, I think of my buddy Marcus.

The publishers were so pleased with the new character they insisted I write about him again -- and again. So this coming May there'll be a new one, "Intercept" with Mack Bedford front and center, tough as Marcus, smart as Matthew Axelson, brave as Danny, and funny as Mike Murphy. Oh, yes, and heroic as every one of them. He's a compilation, a man with the pedigree of an Emperor SEAL.

But, in a way, he's forever Marcus. And sometimes I'm almost taken up in reality, with his triumphs and heartbreaks. And sometimes I'm filled with a silent, overwhelming admiration all over again for the men of SEAL Team 10. And sometimes my own eyes merely fill with tears, at the thought of the everlasting anguish of Marcus Luttrell.

I've read the book. It was inspiring to say the least.

Lutrell is a survivor and its to bad the rest of the team didn't make it.

Oh and your avatar?? Not to many men out there with two Congressional Medals of Honor but he's one.

Last edited:
I've read the book. It was inspiring to say the least.

Lutrell is a survivor and its to bad the rest of the team didn't make it.

Oh and your avatar?? Not to many men out there with two Congressional Medals of Honor but he's one.

I guess you know he (Smedly) tried to give one back but they wouldn't take it and ordered him to wear it.

Forum List

Back