The future of this country

So the question is, why are US products too expensive? You have to look at what creates the cost. Labor is the #1 factor. So it's the #1 reason why Obama's & Trumps China trade deals would've never worked.
It's also the #1 reason why American manufacturers don't manufacture in the USA near as much as they did in the 70's & 80's.
To solve the problem, one has to address why companies have to pay $15 to $35hr for blue collar workers. The answer is easy. But solving the problem is almost impossible to accomplish because that would take the government forcing lower prices and wages on everything.

Who ever I would support for president would have to address this issue and then at least attempt to gather economic geniuses to come up with a way to get it done. To ignore it will only perpetuate the problem. And within a decade, the problem will continue to push manufacturing out of the country. Allowing automation to take over even the easiest jobs. Which is already happening to millions of jobs.

Automation only requires a mimicking of humans abilities and functions. Computers can be programmed to do just about anything a human can do. From moving objects, joining them together to thinking of solutions.
They just need to be programmed to the specifics of each task.

The end result is an economy where robots and computers do almost everything, leaving the US work force lazy and without incentive. It also means that the only money that too many Americans will have at their disposal comes in the form of welfare. IE Yang's idea of a guaranteed income (Those $1,000 checks)

So unless the government, with the help of those who run the economy and the corporation force, this country into a massive deflation cycle that leads our economy, wages and prices back to levels around the 1960's, the GenZ's and their kids and their kids, in this country will not be producing enough to keep the economy from dying a miserable horrible death.

Can anyone else (that isn't a surface level thinker) come up with a solution?
This is not a hypothetical question. If non-agricultural mftring products can be more cheaply purchased by Americans than domestically produced, why can't service jobs allow Americans to make decent wages, even if we have to use min wages to set a base for wages?

50+ years of idiotic trade deals that fucked this country over and shipped jobs overseas. Failing to use tariffs, failing to keep manufacturing jobs here, all thanks to politicians who sold this country out while they pocketed millions for themselves.

You are ignoring the role of capitalism played in the moving of jobs overseas. Companies are being judged by quarterly results, a bad quarter can cost people their jobs. Profit and higher stock prices are all that mattered, and really all that still matters.

It is interesting to see someone who pretends to be a Conservative arguing the government should have not let these private companies do what they did.

Since we do not fully understand how human function so well, no one yet knows how to program computers to be able to do much of anything still.
[/QUOTE]

You're joking right? They have semi trucks on the road as we speak driving in many states. We have automation that's doing millions upon millions of human tasks.

Computers are really, really bad at almost everything.
They can infer or imply, and require absolutely specific programming.
They do not have vision as we do, and have to be provided with some sort of sensor input, that they have to calculate from.

Robots and AI have come a long way. And the industry is growing at a much faster rate than US manufacturing. Computers are much more accurate and efficient (and costs a lot less in the long run) than humans.

But automation is just one huge issue. Outsourcing jobs to countries that have a much lower economy, where their currency is worth more than ours is also a huge problem. Couple those two and the worse our economy will get.
And if it's not fixed, within 20 years, 70 million jobs will be lost to automation alone. So far, millions of jobs have been outsourced in professions like medical, legal and construction.
Even South Park (cartoon) shows are finished in another country. All the coloring is done in China. Medical transcripts are done in another country. Medical test results are read and analyzed in another country. And the list goes on and on and on.

This is not a hypothetical question. If non-agricultural mftring products can be more cheaply purchased by Americans than domestically produced, why can't service jobs allow Americans to make decent wages, even if we have to use min wages to set a base for wages?

I don't fully understand your question. (Haven't finished my first cup of coffee yet).

The point I'm trying to make with this thread is why $50,000 per year a decent wage now, instead of $20,000.
If $20K bought us as much as $50,000, then having our wages cut 2/3rds wouldn't actually have anything more than a psychological effect on us all. But we'd get used to it quickly.
Going to the grocery store and instead of the grocery bill being $150, it would be (example) $50 for the same products.

Equalizing our USD value with that of the Yuan or even the Peso, would curb a huge amount of our monetary woes for the simple fact that US companies could afford to manufacture here. Not to mention, it would help save a lot of other jobs in hundreds of other sectors. Including the medical field, legal, construction, entertainment, retail, engineering and just about every other industry.

Yes he did, and as he explained, he had no choice because there was no way for him to compete with foreign made products.

Because the value of the USD is so over inflated. But Trump didn't have to have China make his or his families line of clothing. He could've had it all made here. He would've just had to charge more. Same as any company. Charging more means less sales.
And there in lies the symptom. And shines a bright light on the actual problem. The over inflated USD.

I don't fully understand your question. (Haven't finished my first cup of coffee yet).

The point I'm trying to make with this thread is why $50,000 per year a decent wage now, instead of $20,000.
If $20K bought us as much as $50,000, then having our wages cut 2/3rds wouldn't actually have anything more than a psychological effect on us all. But we'd get used to it quickly.
Going to the grocery store and instead of the grocery bill being $150, it would be (example) $50 for the same products.

Equalizing our USD value with that of the Yuan or even the Peso, would curb a huge amount of our monetary woes for the simple fact that US companies could afford to manufacture here. Not to mention, it would help save a lot of other jobs in hundreds of other sectors. Including the medical field, legal, construction, entertainment, retail, engineering and just about every other industry.
But if I make 50Kindollars and can buy shit made overseas with a dollar worth (say 2 yuan or pesos) why would I be ok being payed 50Kyaun/pesos?

Biden and the progs certainly did NOT pursue the policy. BUT, in theory at least, there's no reason parents should not have affordable after school care and healthcare for kids even if they work service jobs which cannot be offshored.

We may be on our way to killing the dollar as the reserve currency and devaluing it, but that's not a reason to support it.

But if I make 50Kindollars and can buy shit made overseas with a dollar worth (say 2 yuan or pesos) why would I be ok being payed 50Kyaun/pesos?

Biden and the progs certainly did NOT pursue the policy. BUT, in theory at least, there's no reason parents should not have affordable after school care and healthcare for kids even if they work service jobs which cannot be offshored.

We may be on our way to killing the dollar as the reserve currency and devaluing it, but that's not a reason to support it.

You're not even close to understanding the whole point of this thread. That could very well be my fault, do to not putting this in a way you can understand.
Or it could be you're just not capable of understanding the fact that our USD is over inflated or that our trade deficit isn't because we buy so much from China. But more so that our American manufacturing can't afford to manufacture in the US.

Think of this whole thing as a huge drop in prices and wages for every thing across this entire country. Including rent, the cost of houses, the cost of building materials and labor for home builders. Plumbers and plumbing supplies. Computer and computer chip manufacturing, food, water, clothes.. Put our economy (wages and prices) back to 1960's to 1980's levels. Same wages. Same prices.

My apologies for not being more articulate.

You're not even close to understanding the whole point of this thread. That could very well be my fault, do to not putting this in a way you can understand.
Or it could be you're just not capable of understanding the fact that our USD is over inflated or that our trade deficit isn't because we buy so much from China. But more so that our American manufacturing can't afford to manufacture in the US.

Think of this whole thing as a huge drop in prices and wages for every thing across this entire country. Including rent, the cost of houses, the cost of building materials and labor for home builders. Plumbers and plumbing supplies. Computer and computer chip manufacturing, food, water, clothes.. Put our economy (wages and prices) back to 1960's to 1980's levels. Same wages. Same prices.

My apologies for not being more articulate.
I understand what you're saying. But you're saying we were better off in the 50's and 60's, and you're very wrong. I don't want to be paid on the same scale as India.

You are ignoring the role of capitalism played in the moving of jobs overseas. Companies are being judged by quarterly results, a bad quarter can cost people their jobs. Profit and higher stock prices are all that mattered, and really all that still matters.

It is interesting to see someone who pretends to be a Conservative arguing the government should have not let these private companies do what they did.

No I am not ignoring that. The GOP was stupid to allow businesses to move overseas. It’s always been one of my biggest complaints about the GOP. Tariffs should had been used to protect essential industries, like how Europe and China use them.

No I am not ignoring that. The GOP was stupid to allow businesses to move overseas. It’s always been one of my biggest complaints about the GOP. Tariffs should had been used to protect essential industries, like how Europe and China use them.

I always knew you were a Big Government proponent.

China and Europe are not the US and do not have the same promise of freedom that we do.

Republicrats did this. Trumps China trade deal, same as Obama's was useless. And quite frankly, retarded. Because it doesn't address what causes the trade deficit. The fact that we outsource so much (creating the trade deficit) is only the symptom to the actual problem
The real problem is our over inflated USD, huge overhead in wages for US manufacturers, is what drives the trade deficits.
The solution is to equalize our currency and economy to match our largest competitor. A middle class wage in China is only about $20,000 per year. $20,000 per year here is a poverty wage.

The republicrats screwed the pooch with our economy. Inflation since 1913 has grown almost 2900%.
Yes, Republicans have been wrong on trade for 50 years. But Dems too usually supported those trade deals. NAFTA fucked us over too.

Then President Trump came along and started implementing tariffs, and brought back half a million manufacturing jobs, when the previous guy said he would need a “magic wand” to bring those jobs back.

I always knew you were a Big Government proponent.

China and Europe are not the US and do not have the same promise of freedom that we do.
No, I am not a proponent of “Big Government”. I do not support the government forcing experimental vaccines, you do.

Setting trade policy is not “big government“.

About 80 percent of lost manufacturing jobs were lost to automation, not China. Any huckster politician who makes the claim they will bring back manufacturing jobs is a lazy, lying, asshole.

The US is manufacturing more stuff than ever. That's a fact. It just takes less workers to do it.

At the founding of our country, it took 98 percent of the population to work in agriculture. Now it takes less than 2 percent and we are feeding the world.

What would you make of some dipshit con man who promised to bring back all those lost farm jobs?

That's how you should look at anyone promising to bring back manufacturing jobs.

An honest politician will tell you we need to re-calibrate our education system for the jobs of tomorrow.

But that takes hard work. It is easier to con the rubes with bullshit than do the necessary hard work.

About 80 percent of lost manufacturing jobs were lost to automation, not China. Any huckster politician who makes the claim they will bring back manufacturing jobs is a lazy, lying, asshole.

The US is manufacturing more stuff than ever. That's a fact. It just takes less workers to do it.

At the founding of our country, it took 98 percent of the population to work in agriculture. Now it takes less than 2 percent and we are feeding the world.

What would you make of some dipshit con man who promised to bring back all those lost farm jobs?

That's how you should look at anyone promising to bring back manufacturing jobs.

An honest politician will tell you we need to re-calibrate our education system for the jobs of tomorrow.

But that takes hard work. It is easier to con the rubes with bullshit than do the necessary hard work.
If that is true then why not produce the products here with “automation”?

If that is true then why not produce the products here with “automation”?
Sorry, I said 80 percent of manufacturing jobs were lost to automation.

It's 88 percent.

http://conexus.cberdata.org/files/MfgReality.pdf

Almost 88 percent of job losses in manufacturing in recent years can be attributable to productivity growth, and the long-term changes to manufacturing employment are mostly linked to the productivity of American factories.

As for why we aren't producing products here, we are! We are manufacturing more goods than ever before.

Auto manufacturing 40 years ago. You can see at least a dozen humans in the photo working on four cars:

5e26dc9d47d9b7fa847c24fbebd14253.jpg

Auto manufacturing today. Spot the two humans in this photo. What are they doing?

Robot_Integration.jpg

Forum List

Back