The founder of Rolling Stone thinks only white men are 'masters' of rock.

I disagree.

Jimi is the one who realized the potential of the electric guitar and SRV was good but he was pretty much a one dimensional musician
There is nothing that Jimmy ever played that Stevie couldnt play better and cleaner.

There is nothing that Jimmy ever played that Stevie couldnt play better and cleaner.

Like I said SRV was not very original. He did nothing new

And clean is a matter of taste. SRV stuck with a simple overdriven guitar sound and didn't do anything sonically complex

Like I said SRV was not very original. He did nothing new

And clean is a matter of taste. SRV stuck with a simple overdriven guitar sound and didn't do anything sonically complex
Bullshit.

They invented the guitar. Chinese invented strings, so the guitar wouldnt exist without the Chinese. Do you see how fultile it is to go backwards?

If there were no guitars there still would have been blues just with other instruments.

And you are confusing the instrument with the genre. They are not the same.

If there were no guitars there still would have been blues just with other instruments.

And you are confusing the instrument with the genre. They are not the same.
The genre of rock relies on guitars.

What is original about the sound of that song?

Nothing. And it's a cover song to boot.
Being "original" is not a requirement for rock music, nor is it required in a discussion about great guitar players. There are plenty of rock bands that sound like each other.

No it doesn't it's just the sound you are used to.
It isnt a rock song if it doesnt have guitars. You could break out a violin and do a cover of Thunderstruck, but that doesnt make it "rock". :dunno:

Being "original" is not a requirement for rock music, nor is it required in a discussion about great guitar players. There are plenty of rock bands that sound like each other.
I never said he wasn't a great guitar player I said he was unoriginal.

IMO if you want to call a guitarist a great then he or she has had to advance the instrument in an original way.

SRV didn;t do that

I never said he wasn't a great guitar player I said he was unoriginal.

IMO if you want to call a guitarist a great then he or she has had to advance the instrument in an original way.

SRV didn;t do that
SRV is considered the most influential blues guitar player of all time. He made blues mainstream in a time when blues was dead.

It isnt a rock song if it doesnt have guitars. You could break out a violin and do a cover of Thunderstruck, but that doesnt make it "rock". :dunno:
I disagree.

I love guitar based rock but a guitar is not a must have for a song to be called rock.

I disagree.

I love guitar based rock but a guitar is not a must have for a song to be called rock.
Go form a band without guitars and try to sell yourselves rock musicians. Youll get booed out of every show.

Hendrix copied everyone who came before him too.
And SRV copied Hendrix.

Hendrix is responsible for the electric guitar becoming what it is today. He was original and extremely creative.

SRV not so much.

And SRV copied Hendrix.

Hendrix is responsible for the electric guitar becoming what it is today. He was original and extremely creative.

SRV not so much.
There is NOTHING in Henredix's style that plays any part in Eddie Van Halens guitar style. If Hendrix never lived, youd still have Black Sabbath and Tony Iommi, who were FAR more influential to rock.

Go form a band without guitars and try to sell yourselves rock musicians. Youll get booed out of every show.

Music is more than the instruments it is played on.

There is NOTHING in Henredix's style that plays any part in Eddie Van Halens guitar style. If Hendrix never lived, youd still have Black Sabbath and Tony Iommi, who were FAR more influential to rock.
I thought we were talking about SRV?

And who would EHV or Tony say were their biggest influences?

Forum List

Back