The founder of Rolling Stone thinks only white men are 'masters' of rock.

Hispanics can rock

The Chinese can rock

Indigenous siberians can rock

You guys starting to get the idea?

Interesting in that the loosely defined genre ‘rock’ was the result of a music form generated by blacks.
Yeah, but not really though. Rock uses electric guitars, which was invented by a white guy. Old timey slave music has nothing to do with Metallica's music.

And the accoutic guitars that the black blues guys used came from Spain, so forgive me if i reject this "blacks invented rock" nonsense.

Yeah, but not really though. Rock uses electric guitars, which was invented by a white guy. Old timey slave music has nothing to do with Metallica's music.

And the accoutic guitars that the black blues guys used came from Spain, so forgive me if i reject this "blacks invented rock" nonsense.
I didn’t say blacks invented rock. Blacks, as a matter of circumstance, stumbled onto blues and blues evolved into rock.
European music form as well as European instruments, primarily harmonica and guitar, resulted in blues form.

Wenner has long been an egotistical jerk.

Nobody has done R&R better than Chuck Berry or Little Richard.

Maybe some as good but none better.

And a black man invented peanut butter but that doesn't mean white people haven't made some awesome sandwiches.

You guys really need to stop with the stupid racist crap.

I didn’t say blacks invented rock. Blacks, as a matter of circumstance, stumbled onto blues and blues evolved into rock.
European music form as well as European instruments, primarily harmonica and guitar, resulted in blues form.
There were many contributions to Rock (Rock And Roll). IMO, the main thing the original black Blues artists contributed was (is) one instrument (guitar) being played in such a way that few other instruments were needed.

I think maybe some here have the wrong idea of what Wenner was talking about. Of course there have been many great artists from both sides of the color and gender lines who could rock but I believe Wenner is mostly referring to composers and lyricists.

There may be other attributes in the mix but that's the impression I got.

He is correct.

Sure you have some great black musicians like bb king, jimi Hendrix, Louis Armstrong. But all in all most famous black musicians are just singers or jazz muscians and very very very few are rockers.

For every Living colour you have 100 white rock bands. Nearly all of the best rock, metal, etc are all white. And all of the classic and influential rock bands are all white.

Most blacks don't even play an instrument anymore. Almost all the blacks that are in music today just have generic computer generated music and auto tunes.

He isn't rock, but Louis Armstrong had more musical talent and ability in his finger than modern black musicians poses in their entire bodies.

Even motley Crue has more talent than any black musician since them because at least they wrote their own music, played instruments and so on and had multiple songs people still know and sing even today.

So he never heard of Jimi Hendrix? Chuck Berry? Muddy Water?

Prince?

Prince was one of the best rock guitarist ever and musical composer. Usually the people who state these kind of things on either side are not great musicians themselves. I dont think they really understand what its all about.

He is correct.

Sure you have some great black musicians like bb king, jimi Hendrix, Louis Armstrong. But all in all most famous black musicians are just singers or jazz muscians and very very very few are rockers.

For every Living colour you have 100 white rock bands. Nearly all of the best rock, metal, etc are all white. And all of the classic and influential rock bands are all white.

Most blacks don't even play an instrument anymore. Almost all the blacks that are in music today just have generic computer generated music and auto tunes.

He isn't rock, but Louis Armstrong had more musical talent and ability in his finger than modern black musicians poses in their entire bodies.

Even motley Crue has more talent than any black musician since them because at least they wrote their own music, played instruments and so on and had multiple songs people still know and sing even today.

It's not that they wouldnt be capable.... it's mostly for lack of interest perhaps.

Forum List

Back