The first couple portrayed as apes

Short history lesson: Ota Benga - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

&

The Ape in American Bigotry, From Thomas Jefferson to 2009

...The effort to dehumanize black people by characterizing them as apes is central to our national history. Thomas Jefferson made the connection in his notorious book “Notes on the State of Virginia,” in which he asserted fantastically that male orangutans were sexually drawn to Negro women.

By defining Negroes not as human beings but as beasts, the nation rationalized subjugation and cruelty — and justified laws that stripped them of basic human rights. The case for segregation itself rested heavily on the assertion that animal origins made Negroes feebleminded, smelly and intolerably offensive to white sensibilities.

Acting on the ludicrous premise that people of color had coarser palates, Southern shop owners sometimes refused to sell them “white” foodstuffs, forcing them instead to buy inferior grades of flour and other goods.

Picture postcards, kitchen crockery and other media often showed Negroes with grotesquely distorted faces eating outsize slices of watermelon, which was said by racists to be catnip to the coloreds. In keeping with the animal theme, Negroes were typically depicted consuming food with their hands, while standing or sitting out in the open. White folks, of course, were shown sitting at the table, dining with utensils.

Ape propaganda reached a hysterical pitch during periods when African-Americans were winning rights or making racial progress.

During the 1950s, for example, racists reacted to the movement toward integration with placards and broadsides depicting apelike caricatures of Negro men performing heinous acts or making sexual advances on the flower of white womanhood.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/28/opinion/28sat4.html?_r=0

race-obsessed, perpetually aggreived left-wing nutjobs living in the past think it's still the 1950s

Satire? I don't think that word means what they think it means.

Belgian Newspaper Accused Of Racism For Picture Of Obama And Michelle As Apes

De Morgen apologized for the image in its Monday edition, admitting it was guilty of "bad taste."

"When you consider the fragment apart from its context, which is a properly worked out satirical section, then you don't see the joke but just a picture evoking sheer racism," the newspaper said. "We wrongly assumed that racism is no longer accepted, and that in this way it could be the subject of a joke."

Unigwe, who lives in Belgium, went on to tweet in depth about the controversial spread, noting that the fault lies with Belgian society moreso than De Morgen:

I really can't find the possible humor angle. I guess I need to evolve more, or something.

This doesn't surprise me at all.

I've been trying to say for years that racism is worse in some countries than in America. Heck, in Mexico the ethnicity of the population is closely controlled. Germans sometimes look at blacks like they're aliens from outer-space.

You are exactly right, although the Germans I met were friendly to me.

Conservatives on this board paste the same picture and then complain they are not racist

crying-obama.png

th

Sniff, sniff ... sorry your "feelings" are hurt. No, really.

Yup, the photo is racist (as is the one of Bush chimp), and the nature of such informs people do not let their children associate with the children of those who publish and or relish such photos. One simply does not associate with such folks; Mother would not let us play with the children of known or suspected Klan members.

The photo, however, is political and thus protected by free speech rules, as it should be. The principle helps separate the wheat from the tares.

The photo of Bush is in poor taste. The photo of Obama is racist

No, YOU are a racist, that's why you separate them out as if one is different from the other. You see the black man as a monkey, so it offends the years of trying to control such racist thoughts by putting it out there like this for you. You only think it's poor taste for Bush because you see him as a white man who is superior, so it's just in poor taste.

Stop projecting your racism onto others.

Our society has not had a history of portraying whites as apes

However, we have a 300 year history of portraying blacks as apes. We used it as a justification to enslave them (they are nothing more than animals) and to segregate them from society (who wants to sleep in a bed that a "negro" has used)

Even today, European Soccer fans throw bananas at black players. They do not do it for whites

That is why it is not equivalent

Yup, the photo is racist (as is the one of Bush chimp), and the nature of such informs people do not let their children associate with the children of those who publish and or relish such photos. One simply does not associate with such folks; Mother would not let us play with the children of known or suspected Klan members.

The photo, however, is political and thus protected by free speech rules, as it should be. The principle helps separate the wheat from the tares.

:eusa_hand:

Interesting. So you believe depicting African Americans as Apes has more to do with skin color than their behaviour or intelligence.

De Morgen apologized for the image in its Monday edition, admitting it was guilty of "bad taste."

"When you consider the fragment apart from its context, which is a properly worked out satirical section, then you don't see the joke but just a picture evoking sheer racism," the newspaper said. "We wrongly assumed that racism is no longer accepted, and that in this way it could be the subject of a joke."

Unigwe, who lives in Belgium, went on to tweet in depth about the controversial spread, noting that the fault lies with Belgian society moreso than De Morgen:

I really can't find the possible humor angle. I guess I need to evolve more, or something.

I love leftist hypocrassy

th

th
th

No, YOU are a racist, that's why you separate them out as if one is different from the other. You see the black man as a monkey, so it offends the years of trying to control such racist thoughts by putting it out there like this for you. You only think it's poor taste for Bush because you see him as a white man who is superior, so it's just in poor taste.

However, we have a 300 year history of portraying blacks as apes. We used it as a justification to enslave them (they are nothing more than animals) and to segregate them from society (who wants to sleep in a bed that a "negro" has used)

Even today, European Soccer fans throw bananas at black players. They do not do it for whites

I thought progressives weren't living in the past? Apparently that's just a facade they use for enslaving purposes.

The only way the pics could be seen as "racist" is if certain folks secretly harbor a sense that blacks are somehow more related to chimps than humans. So the real "racists" are the first ones who reached that conclusion and raised the battle cry. Are they decrying their own sense of guilt?
Don't know much about history, do you?

Enough to know that blacks aren't the ONLY folks who have suffered hardship over the centuries. Time to quit whimpering over spilled milk and focus on self-improvement and personal responsibility. This endless victim-complex is getting really old and all that these guilt-ridden whites are accomplishing is 1) revealing personal guilt and 2) telling the world that they don't really believe that blacks can make it without their (guilty whites) help. That, my friend, is true racism whether you want to admit it or not.

I believe that blacks can better themselves without YOUR help.

Until the left decided to depict Bush as one.

And when Bush was called or depicted as a chimp, it was because of his lack of intelligence, because he was dumb, because he was an idiot.

But with obama it's because he's black and 'YOU RACiST!".

You people scream the same shit when anyone disagrees with obama's policies but when people disagreed with Bush's policies it wasn't because he was white,it was because they disagreed with his policies.

Waddabunchofhypocriticalbananas.

Conservatives on this board paste the same picture and then complain they are not racist

Thanks for saving me some keystrokes.

I have been on hiatus for a month or so--after an infamous thread about Michelle Obama started by the poster who uses this as his avatar. Whether the individual is politically conservative or not --I don't know. A crude type of individual I have to assume.

It is one thing to disagree with 'anyone' and another to go far beyond 'ad hominem' attacks.

My political ideologies are different from those of the first couple--if I have a right to believe as I do--each and every other individual has the same right. That would seem to be a basic concept in becoming a civilized adult.

jmo.

I would think this newspaper would be eligible for a lawsuit--but--hurray--they apologized.

Making a mental note to never rely on that publication for veracity. Certain that will hit them where it hurts.

:eusa_hand:

Interesting. So you believe depicting African Americans as Apes has more to do with skin color than their behaviour or intelligence.

losers like Rightwinger are so self-deluded there is no mind-fuck they wont contort themselves through to stick with their false narrative that the rights' views are guided by racism of minorities in general or the inept obama in particular

The only way the pics could be seen as "racist" is if certain folks secretly harbor a sense that blacks are somehow more related to chimps than humans. So the real "racists" are the first ones who reached that conclusion and raised the battle cry. Are they decrying their own sense of guilt?

Enough to know that blacks aren't the ONLY folks who have suffered hardship over the centuries. Time to quit whimpering over spilled milk and focus on self-improvement and personal responsibility. This endless victim-complex is getting really old and all that these guilt-ridden whites are accomplishing is 1) revealing personal guilt and 2) telling the world that they don't really believe that blacks can make it without their (guilty whites) help. That, my friend, is true racism whether you want to admit it or not.

that's not going to happen, unfortuantly they have been fed a steady diet of how they were victims, of course none of them were slaves or probably even had a relative who was a slave today.... but that doesn't stop the Democrat party from EXPLOITING THEM with it...that's how they have put them BACK on a plantation, the Democrat party plantation

And now we have a white dude portraying himself as an ape. Progressives never cease to amaze me.

I thought progressives weren't living in the past? Apparently that's just a facade they use for enslaving purposes.

WTF?

How on earth does that have anything to do with our societies history of portraying blacks as apes?

Go back and try again

the fact that bananas are thrown at black soccer players in europe has nothing to do with the fact that LEFT-WINGERS HERE PORTRAYED BUSH AS A CHIMP FOR YEARS
left-wing losers like "Rightwinger" are simply pathetic losers who lie to themselves; and rationalize their own bigotry, intolerance and rabid partisanship away with straw men, red herrings and pure bullshit

that's not going to happen, unfortuantly they have been fed a steady diet of how they were victims, of course none of them were slaves or probably even had a relative who was a slave today.... but that doesn't stop the Democrat party from EXPLOITING THEM with it...that's how they have put them BACK on a plantation, the Democrat party plantation

Very true. But like you say ... some things will never change. Many folks truly enjoy being a victim. They get the attention they didn't get as a kid, I suppose.

Bingo.

So TPTB at De Morgen are cut off from other sources of news? 'We wrongly assumed racism is no longer accepted'. Meaning--what?

Racism is no longer accepted as an acceptable practice. Plenty of attention is given to those who experienced such injustice. Is there any humor in the Holocaust and other inhumane aspects of history?

Even in Belguim--I would think news of Oprah Winfrey's thoughts on racism would be known. In LA --'Twelve Years a Slave'--a good bit of focus on how racism is viewed there also. Just to name 2 more trivial means of gauging 'where we are' with racism.

Golly--someone from De Morgen could have researched this on the internet.

STFU--De Morgen. all that needs to be said.

Forum List

Back