The Filibuster MUST Go

So Mitch McConnell says the Debt Ceiling MUST be raised.

But he and all the GOP Senators are going to vote against it.

That's bad enough...but they are also FILIBUSTERING even the VOTE!

This has to stop.

Dem Senators have to remove that tool from these cynical bastards
In its current form it should be abolished. That cannot be argued.

BUT

I'd prefer we first try going back to the form before the changes in the 70s.
The filibuster must hold the floor and speak. No breaks, no help, no sitting.
Bring the Senate to a full halt and speak, on TV, on the internet, for hours and hours.
How 'bout some o that old school governing?

In its current form it should be abolished. That cannot be argued.

BUT

I'd prefer we first try going back to the form before the changes in the 70s.
The filibuster must hold the floor and speak. No breaks, no help, no sitting.
Bring the Senate to a full halt and speak, on TV, on the internet, for hours and hours.
How 'bout some o that old school governing?
Still sounds stupid and childish.

Do we want every bill to require a supermajority, or don't we? Simple as that.

Go for it, just don't cry when you lose the House and Senate. Manchin gets that, other Democrats do too. Your short term hissy fit would have long term consequences.
So you think passing federal legislation to block all of the GOP anti-vote legislation would threaten Democrats?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Trump said it himself "we'll never win another federal election."

Go for it, just don't cry when you lose the House and Senate. Manchin gets that, other Democrats do too. Your short term hissy fit would have long term consequences.

As long as Joe is president I don't care if you have both houses and the rest of the street.

So you think passing federal legislation to block all of the GOP anti-vote legislation would threaten Democrats?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Trump said it himself "we'll never win another federal election."
Looking at Biden's crap poll numbers, I'm not concerned.

That isn't all you said. Now you are just shamelessly lying. So boring.
That is all I said, that the democrats have used the filibuster and that the democrats changed the rules to make it easier to use the filibuster.

You have given me the opportunity to post that fact over and over so that it is much easier for other users to see that fact in different places in this OP. Other people can also see that nobody has been able to make a comment that disputes the fact that the Democrats were more than happy to use the filibuster in the past and that the democrats changed the filibuster rules so they could use the filibuster more often.

Didnt hear you saying this when it was your team blocking shit with the filibuster.

In 2020 it was a 327-1 ratio D to R using the filibuster.......

Those damn R's and their Jim Crow 2.0 tactics.......
AND?

Try putting qualified nominees up and they won't be filibustered.
Try putting actual legislation up and it won't be filibustered.
BUT, Don't be like Mitch
Propose legislation then filibuster your own legislation when you find Obama likes it.

So Mitch McConnell says the Debt Ceiling MUST be raised.

But he and all the GOP Senators are going to vote against it.

That's bad enough...but they are also FILIBUSTERING even the VOTE!

This has to stop.

I like how the dems are laying this solely at the repubs feet.

It's not just the repubs holding it up. Dems have a sure fire way to raise the debt ceiling. You can just use your reconciliation, but you don't want to use it for that, you want to use it for the big spending bill coming down the line. So, if the debt ceiling isn't raised, it's as much your fault as it is the repubs.

Yeah, it sucks, but it's politics, and a game that the left would also play if the situations were reversed.

Having said that, if you do remove the filibuster, make it permanent. Don't want the dems trying to reestablish it should they find themselves in the minority.

What needs to happen is legislative reform. Heres an idea. Put two bipartisan committees with equal numbers from each party into locked rooms and direct them not to come out until they formulate a plan that they all would put their names on. The two committees would compete against each other to be the one with the better plan.

Also, how about limiting that amount of items that can be in a bill so we can stop all the pork stuffing. Bills do not need to be 1000 pages.

Get a little teamwork and competition going instead of these lopsided political grandstands that go nowhere.
Can they bring weapons? I was thinking maces and broadswords, no armor!

We lose elections and simply wait for the next one.

You shitheads lose an election...

Pack the court,

get rid of the filibuster

take over elections by the feds..

get rid of the electoral college

You fascists never get tired of being fascists...

The Founding Fathers saw you shitheads coming way back at the founding...
That's not all they want to do. Lefty radio has been talking about how Schumer should either fire the parliamentarian or just overrule her.

Still sounds stupid and childish.

Do we want every bill to require a supermajority, or don't we? Simple as that.
You mean taking the senate back to when it actually a functional political institution?

Yeah, childish

There are times when events can sweep us into making bad decisions. See the Patriot Act for reference.
The filibuster should serve to slow the stupid while calmer head reconsider.
The filibuster should not serve simply to kill legislation or as often happens bills are submitted with no intent of passage just to the other side can be forced to filibuster.
The good intent of the changes in the 70s were crushed when McConnell became minority leader.
There are no rules to punish abuse so both sides abuse the process.

Abusing the process in any way will put someone in the well to either bring sanity to the process or act like a complete idiot (reading from the phonebook). In either case the entirety will be on TV for all to see. There will be a political penalty to pay for abusing the process.

Never!

tenor.gif

The Filibuster MUST Go​

You only think this because you are stupid enough to believe the GOP will never hold another majority in the senate.
That's their plan. Guy on lefty radio today laid it all out.

End the filibuster, pack the Supreme court, then pass the John Lewis voting rights act. He said when the gop can't "gerrymander" the votes anymore, and everyone can vote, the gop will never have a sizeable enough presence to ever have control to need the filibuster. Basically, he laid out his plan to negate the gop.

You mean taking the senate back to when it there actually a functional political institution?

Yeah, childish
No, i meant what i said, which is that having a person stand there for hours (and basically stream gibberish) seems childish.

You mean taking the senate back to when it actually a functional political institution?

Yeah, childish

There are times when events can sweep us into making bad decisions. See the Patriot Act for reference.
The filibuster should serve to slow the stupid while calmer head reconsider.
The filibuster should not serve simply to kill legislation or as often happens bills are submitted with no intent of passage just to the other side can be forced to filibuster.
The good intent of the changes in the 70s were crushed when McConnell became minority leader.
There are no rules to punish abuse so both sides abuse the process.

Abusing the process in any way will put someone in the well to either bring sanity to the process or act like a complete idiot (reading from the phonebook). In either case the entirety will be on TV for all to see. There will be a political penalty to pay for abusing the process.
I agree with pretty much all that.

Forum List

Back