The Fighting Arts

Didn't stay in South Korea as long as my other homes away from home, but I did manage to find the time to study a little taekkyon and even worked out with a ssireum club a few times.
I've tried lots of different stuff over the years myself, depending on what was in my area, or caught my eye, but about 15 years ago, I went ahead and streamlined it down to those 4. That was the most bang for my buck, IMO.
There is some dry-fire and pistol practice in there a few times a month as well, and knife work ain't all that complicated, especially if you have ever gutted an animal.

I don't need to know a couple dozen different ways to do things, I just need a few widely applicable, high-percentage techniques, and to be as strong as I can be with all my various injuries.

Most of all, I just keep moving...... I won't even buy a riding lawnmower, lol.
Buy the riding mower, and put the energy saved into weight training & cardio. Save what piss and vinegar you've got left for when you need it.
I'm dying on my weight training right now..... I haven't been able to lift regularly for 6 months now. I can't get any weight equipment, everyone is sold out.
Part of buying my new place was so I could build my garage gym and I can't get it finished.
Get yerself a couple tractor tires and toss 'em around like frisbees. Or else take a short course in Mexican karate and earn a black in about 5 minutes. Guaranteed.
I been doing a kettlebell routine and using my sledgehammers on a big tractor tire. I got a ten pounder and a a twenty pounder.

And I got my thai bag hung last weekend.

... Steven Seagal is my favorite .... and would like to sit with him and just talk. ...
Maybe you could ask the scumbag clown why he abandoned his first wife, son and infant daughter. Maybe he'd like to discuss the nearly dozen women who have claimed he sexually assaulted them. Or maybe he'd rather regale you with stories of how he tried to abuse the stuntmen working on his horrible films so often that eventually 'Judo' Gene LeBell shut his clown ass up by choking him out until he shit himself.

Last edited:
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, watching any movie with lots of martial arts going on. Steven Seagal is my favorite and his early movies had him doing much more martial arts. I know people like to laugh at him for his lack of acting abilities and weight gain but I LOVE to look at him doing anything at all. I just like his style and the way he walks. I've long been very attracted to him and his intriguing style and would like to sit with him and just talk. He is not your stereotypical Hollyweird actor. I have a frame of reference on that one.

Chuck Norris, too. I heard years ago he was the highest kicker or was that Steven Seagal?

Bruce Lee, of course.

I have read of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu – 10 years. The black belt in BJJ is highly respected and known for being one of the hardest belts to achieve, and for good reason.

But, for me, Steven Seagal brings me to his movies as bad as they are.:)

Steven Frederic Seagal is an American actor, producer, screenwriter, martial artist, and musician who holds American, Serbian, and Russian citizenship. Seagal was born in Lansing, Michigan. Wikipedia
Born: April 10, 1952 (age 68 years), Lansing, MI
Height: 6′ 4″

SS is not much of anything
Chuck is the killer !!!

A black belt in BJJ is a fraction of 1 percent
Most guys take 2-4 yrs to even get the blue belt ( second belt ) then they quit

A black belt in BJJ is a fraction of 1 percent
Most guys take 2-4 yrs to even get the blue belt ( second belt ) then they quit
If you roll regularly, you will get submitted regularly, and most people don't like that. They want to do things they're good at and it takes a really long time before you get there in BJJ.
Same thing happens in judo except you're getting thrown a lot and people like that even less.

...Same thing happens in judo except you're getting thrown a lot and people like that even less.
Hurts more if you don't know how to get thrown.
And that takes a little while to learn.
The ones who are willing to put in the time will stick it out to black belt and beyond.
But most will just do it for awhile and then find another hobby.

Sounds mighty effective. What do you do when unarmed?
That is the premise of "martial arts."

The enemy has banned guns and isn't telling the truth.

The Sumo wrestler is obese, and the bodybuilder's muscle bulk is too much scar tissue for the strength.

There are ways. Taekwondo is the "kick-fist-way" and there are others. ...

...Same thing happens in judo except you're getting thrown a lot and people like that even less.
The ones who are willing to put in the time will stick it out to black belt and beyond.
It also helps to be young, since everything hurts more as you get older.
Read "Falling Hard" by Mark Law..... guy took up judo at 50.

....There are ways. Taekwondo is the "kick-fist-way" and there are others. ...
Taekwondo is counterfeit karate (like buying a Bolex watch from some guy with a rug down on the sidewalk in Seoul), and maybe the most practically useless martial art of all. Fun and a good workout though.

It also helps to be young, since everything hurts more as you get older.
Read "Falling Hard" by Mark Law..... guy took up judo at 50.
Being young makes recovery faster, but if you don't know how to fall (and/or your training partner is reckless) you can still get messed up. One kid on my team this past season (16 yrs old) ended up with an arm broken into an alarmingly unnatural shape. Poor kid was going into shock by the time the ambulance arrived. He toughed it out though; not a whimper out of him the whole time.

Tkd only works if you have insane flexibility and coordination and you combine it with boxing

Most men cannot do head Kicks

Forum List

Back