The Fighting Arts

So, I've been wrestling since I was 7 years old. That was a major focus of intense training through college, which was only possible due to an athletic scholarship. When that period drew to an end, I sold my car and anything of value I had and bought a ticket to China. I wandered around there until almost out of money, when I got a job teaching at a university. Over the next several years I worked and found the opportunity to train with some very distinguished teachers of taijichuan and wushu. I also hooked up with the provincial wrestling team for the area in which I lived for some good training/teaching. In the Muslim Quarter where I trained in various forms and weapons, I met some folks who put me in touch with some other folks and I learned a number of other styles and weapons that were not generally available to 'foreigners.' A number of situations provided unavoidable opportunities to put all this into practice in streets and alleys of parts of China the tour buses don't visit.

This was just the beginning.
You worked in the most Uppity neighborhood in Brookline lol With a bunch of elite democrats. I started my fighting on humbolt ave in Boston aka homicide Avenue.. any time you want to see whos MMA is better you let me know

I have noticed that a number of posters have mentioned study of various 'martial arts' if you will. I thought it might be interesting to see what compilation of experiences we have here in this area.
I wrote a buch of checks for martial arts. My eldest son acheived some degree of black belt for taekwondo. He then taught the marine core martial arts program out at twenty nine palms for about eight years. He then had a chance to teach it to reservists on the weeks ends and make some real money with it but decided he did not want to be gone on week ends. So he did not do it and all those years of money have pretty much gone to waist. Then after a few years he got into body building and is now gone on weeks ends for contests all the time and instead of a good pay check he brings home trophies. I guess as long as he pays his own bills i do not give a shit how he spends his time. Still from my perspective I would like to at least get even on those checks I wrote. My colt and my dog are a much cheaper and more effective means of protection than his martial arts.

Okinawa Shorin Ryu with Master Sensei Kise Fusei (seen here on left.) He was an awesome instructor.

Kise_and_Lazarus_01.jpg

After several years in China, I moved to Japan where I lived for an even longer time. It was there that I was able to study a wide variety of Japanese arts including kendo, Japanese kempo (buddy of mine ran a school and let me come in just to spar in exchange for teaching some wrestling), aikido, iaido, ninjutsu, and judo. Also found a local wrestling program (of course) and worked out from time to time at a K-1 gym. Great years for training and learning. The only real beef I got in street-wise while in Japan was with some mouthy Canadians, which I found strange since most Canadians I had met previously were very amiable folks.
So you're saying you even managed to piss off Canadians?

Wow, dude.....

After several years in China, I moved to Japan where I lived for an even longer time. It was there that I was able to study a wide variety of Japanese arts including kendo, Japanese kempo (buddy of mine ran a school and let me come in just to spar in exchange for teaching some wrestling), aikido, iaido, ninjutsu, and judo. Also found a local wrestling program (of course) and worked out from time to time at a K-1 gym. Great years for training and learning. The only real beef I got in street-wise while in Japan was with some mouthy Canadians, which I found strange since most Canadians I had met previously were very amiable folks.
So you're saying you even managed to piss off Canadians?

Wow, dude.....
What can I tell ya, they were bad-mouthing the US. That doesn't make me feel friendly.

I have noticed that a number of posters have mentioned study of various 'martial arts' if you will. I thought it might be interesting to see what compilation of experiences we have here in this area.
I have studied the art of 9mm and .45 for upclose and personal contact. At range, i found that the .223 and .308 work so much better than throwing stars....
Sounds mighty effective. What do you do when unarmed?

he runs like a coward and cries like a baby....

would be my guess

Didn't stay in South Korea as long as my other homes away from home, but I did manage to find the time to study a little taekkyon and even worked out with a ssireum club a few times.
I've tried lots of different stuff over the years myself, depending on what was in my area, or caught my eye, but about 15 years ago, I went ahead and streamlined it down to those 4. That was the most bang for my buck, IMO.
There is some dry-fire and pistol practice in there a few times a month as well, and knife work ain't all that complicated, especially if you have ever gutted an animal.

I don't need to know a couple dozen different ways to do things, I just need a few widely applicable, high-percentage techniques, and to be as strong as I can be with all my various injuries.

Most of all, I just keep moving...... I won't even buy a riding lawnmower, lol.

I may try BJJ again in the fall but i don’t think i can do bjj then wrestling on the same day

I am just a hobbyist and not a pro guy

I tend to only do the beginner classes and General

The advanced classes are NOT for me
The basics are everything - always. Just keep working what you know. Everyone wants to know the 'advanced' moves (and they are fun when you can use them), but when push comes to shove the basics win.

Didn't stay in South Korea as long as my other homes away from home, but I did manage to find the time to study a little taekkyon and even worked out with a ssireum club a few times.
I've tried lots of different stuff over the years myself, depending on what was in my area, or caught my eye, but about 15 years ago, I went ahead and streamlined it down to those 4. That was the most bang for my buck, IMO.
There is some dry-fire and pistol practice in there a few times a month as well, and knife work ain't all that complicated, especially if you have ever gutted an animal.

I don't need to know a couple dozen different ways to do things, I just need a few widely applicable, high-percentage techniques, and to be as strong as I can be with all my various injuries.

Buy the riding mower, and put the energy saved into weight training & cardio. Save what piss and vinegar you've got left for when you need it.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, watching any movie with lots of martial arts going on. Steven Seagal is my favorite and his early movies had him doing much more martial arts. I know people like to laugh at him for his lack of acting abilities and weight gain but I LOVE to look at him doing anything at all. I just like his style and the way he walks. I've long been very attracted to him and his intriguing style and would like to sit with him and just talk. He is not your stereotypical Hollyweird actor. I have a frame of reference on that one.

Chuck Norris, too. I heard years ago he was the highest kicker or was that Steven Seagal?

Bruce Lee, of course.

I have read of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu – 10 years. The black belt in BJJ is highly respected and known for being one of the hardest belts to achieve, and for good reason.

But, for me, Steven Seagal brings me to his movies as bad as they are.:)

Steven Frederic Seagal is an American actor, producer, screenwriter, martial artist, and musician who holds American, Serbian, and Russian citizenship. Seagal was born in Lansing, Michigan. Wikipedia
Born: April 10, 1952 (age 68 years), Lansing, MI
Height: 6′ 4″

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, watching any movie with lots of martial arts going on. Steven Seagal is my favorite and his early movies had him doing much more martial arts. I know people like to laugh at him for his lack of acting abilities and weight gain but I LOVE to look at him doing anything at all. I just like his style and the way he walks. I've long been very attracted to him and his intriguing style and would like to sit with him and just talk. He is not your stereotypical Hollyweird actor. I have a frame of reference on that one.

Chuck Norris, too. I heard years ago he was the highest kicker or was that Steven Seagal?

Bruce Lee, of course.

I have read of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu – 10 years. The black belt in BJJ is highly respected and known for being one of the hardest belts to achieve, and for good reason.

But, for me, Steven Seagal brings me to his movies as bad as they are.:)

Steven Frederic Seagal is an American actor, producer, screenwriter, martial artist, and musician who holds American, Serbian, and Russian citizenship. Seagal was born in Lansing, Michigan. Wikipedia
Born: April 10, 1952 (age 68 years), Lansing, MI
Height: 6′ 4″

Attachments

• 1593047224710.jpeg
    1593047224710.jpeg
    3.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 1593047224819.jpeg
    1593047224819.jpeg
    3.7 KB · Views: 19

Buy the riding mower, and put the energy saved into weight training & cardio. Save what piss and vinegar you've got left for when you need it.
I'm dying on my weight training right now..... I haven't been able to lift regularly for 6 months now. I can't get any weight equipment, everyone is sold out.
Part of buying my new place was so I could build my garage gym and I can't get it finished.

I'm dying on my weight training right now..... I haven't been able to lift regularly for 6 months now. I can't get any weight equipment, everyone is sold out.
Part of buying my new place was so I could build my garage gym and I can't get it finished.
Get yerself a couple tractor tires and toss 'em around like frisbees. Or else take a short course in Mexican karate and earn a black belt in about 5 minutes. Guaranteed.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back