The fallacy of self defence by gun

So you're out shopping and your house is burgled. How did you gun help you?

That's the same nonsense the Harvard study you posted is based on.
They counted crimes that had nothing to do with self-defense or a firearm.

They counted the number of arsons and petty theft that didn't even involve a firearm or another individual
as a means to come up with a number they could pretend supported the conclusion they decided on before ever doing a study.

Lies, Damn Lies, and Statistics

That's the same nonsense the Harvard study you posted is based on.
They counted crimes that had nothing to do with self-defense or a firearm.

They counted the number of arsons and petty theft that didn't even involve a firearm or another individual
as a means to come up with a number they could pretend supported the conclusion they decided on before ever doing a study.

Lies, Damn Lies, and Statistics

Did you know, 65% of burglaries occur between 6am and 6pm, and most of those are between 10am and 3pm because most houses are empty during those times.

So tell me again, when your house is burgled and you're at work, how did your gun save you?

I know 2 people who use a gun to stop criminals.

One was the owner of a restaurant I worked at. Some piece of shit pulled a knife on one of the waitresses and demanded money. My boss walked out of the back with a shotgun and put it against the head of the asshole who pissed his pants on the spot. Just like you would do

The other was my neighbor who pulled a pistol on some piece of shit breaking into his cars
So my question is, when did the home invaders run off because they saw your gun?

If you took the time to read the link in the OP, straight out of the bat, it states -

1-3. Guns are not used millions of times each year in self-defense

We use epidemiological theory to explain why the “false positive” problem for rare events can lead to large overestimates of the incidence of rare diseases or rare phenomena such as self-defense gun use. We then try to validate the claims of many millions of annual self-defense uses against available evidence. We find that the claim of many millions of annual self-defense gun uses by American citizens is invalid.

So you can run off and find the odd newspaper article on self defence, but many of the millions of reported cases were found to be invalid. Do you understand this?

It's probably gun nuts hyping the situation up, but reality and evidence proves otherwise.

The OP begins with a lie.

Epic fail is the result.

westwall , please provide a peer reviewed study that supports your fallacy millions of self defence incidents were saved by a gun.

Studies have to be non biased and undertaken in a strict scientific way. So it has to be neural, objective, and rational.

So that's you fucked, you won't find anything like that on your NRA comics

I've always stated that needing a gun for self defence was a fallacy, and we all know it is. So what's with the gun nuts running off and copying pasting articles from shady sources?

Well look no further, just simply check with Harvard and the studies -

You have the balls to call out "shady studies" and then post an author selected collection of his 18 - 25 year old papers, all written by one anti-gun activist who is the Director of the Harvard Injury Control Research Center and the Harvard Youth Violence Prevention Center and is a Senior Soros Justice Fellow?

Pardon the pun, Harvard blow holes in the gun nut's self defence argument.

Even if we were to accept Mr. Hemenway's selected bibliography as unbiased, broad-based research and a scholarly representation of defensive gun use, (it's not) it is a snapshot of the situation in the mid-90's to early 2000's.

Are you really arguing the atmosphere of armed self-defense hasn't changed since then, given the expansion of jurisdictions that have liberalized citizen carriage of guns for self-defense?

1997:

RTC_1997.jpg

RTC_2022.jpg

What's next for you?

How about a discussion of current internet security and identity theft threats, citing papers from 1997-2004?

Last edited:
westwall , please provide a peer reviewed study that supports your fallacy millions of self defence incidents were saved by a gun.

Studies have to be non biased and undertaken in a strict scientific way. So it has to be neural, objective, and rational.

So that's you fucked, you won't find anything like that on your NRA comics

There have been dozens posted. Even the Uniform Crime Reports from the FBI refute your crap.

Those too have been posted.

You are intellectually dishonest and a liar.

I've always stated that needing a gun for self defence was a fallacy, and we all know it is. So what's with the gun nuts running off and copying pasting articles from shady sources?

Well look no further, just simply check with Harvard and the studies -

Pardon the pun, Harvard blow holes in the gun nut's self defence argument.

So anyone arming up for the mistaken belief they need to for self defence against others, they're the worst candidate to own a gun.
🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕
And if you didn't understand go fuck yourself you worthless foreign piece of shit. Come and take'em

Did you know, 65% of burglaries occur between 6am and 6pm, and most of those are between 10am and 3pm because most houses are empty during those times.

So tell me again, when your house is burgled and you're at work, how did your gun save you?

Which would have nothing at all to do with whether or not a firearm would provide self-defense capabilities ... Try to stay on topic.

Which would have nothing at all to do with whether or not a firearm would provide self-defense capabilities ... Try to stay on topic.

It's on topic. You feel you need a gun for self defence, one fallacy you guys patter is that you need it against home invaders. So people are wanting to steal from your house when you're at work. So please explain how your gun saved you when your home was invaded when you were at work? Or do people only want to break into you house when you're at home??

Please engage both brain cells this time.

It's on topic. You feel you need a gun for self defence, one fallacy you guys patter is that you need it against home invaders. So people are wanting to steal from your house when you're at work. So please explain how your gun saved you when your home was invaded when you were at work? Or do people only want to break into you house when you're at home??

Please engage both brain cells this time.

Petty theft, arson and burglary are Property Crimes ... Not Assault Crimes.
They have nothing to do with self-defense ... Which is something the nitwits at Harvard who produced the study you posted failed to realize as well.

Forum List

Back