The entire notion of safe spaces and political correctness.

Don't you just fucking hate left wingers, for that?

Is there anyone else to BLAME?
My fiancee and I have been discussing this on and off for a few months. We both agree that it's a delicate balance. On the one hand family ties are important, but on the other we both understand that our child's safety will be absolutely paramount. We're thinking maybe about four for the initial meeting and supervised visits and seven or eight to be left alone. Strangers are a whole nother topic obviously. This is just parents, aunts/uncles, cousins. Close relations. We're still not sure how acquaintances will work. We know the clinic we'd use is staunchly pro-child and pro-life. Is that maybe too early? Too late? Thoughts?
Seems safe spaces cross political lines.

The tactic has been fabulously successful for them, for a long time.

It's a shame to see it only becoming more intense at our colleges, though, the place where freedom of expression and the voicing of contrary opinions should be valued highly and not silenced.

You have to define the words before you troll for hatred. While the term "political correctness" is relatively understood if often misused, "safe spaces" could be any freaking thing from a Christian run haven from inner city street thugs to a hiding place for illegal criminal aliens.

You have to define the words before you troll for hatred. While the term "political correctness" is relatively understood if often misused, "safe spaces" could be any freaking thing from a Christian run haven from inner city street thugs to a hiding place for illegal criminal aliens.
My guess is that the OP is referring to college campuses.

Within that context, what would your opinion of the OP be?

Holy shit

For that? They've been incrementally working on that for decades.

They pissed and moaned when conservatives tried to keep evolution out of schools (justifiably) but now ridicule the possibility of any divine aspect involved and are vehemently opposed to the utterance of Jesus unless it's in a negative context anywhere in public.

It's what regressives do. They penetrate institutions and render them tools of decline. Look at everything libturds have infected.

The whole country is in decline. The "safe spaces" do irritate people though. They alienate people who aren't bed wetters but still don't care to hear people tell jokes about queers. Let the moonbats go radical bat shit crazy. At some point they will bring the country down into chaos and most of them will dehydrate and die or be cannibalized by the ghetto rats. The rest of us who are resourceful and not terrified of guns will pick up the pieces and rebuild.

For that? They've been incrementally working on that for decades.

They pissed and moaned when conservatives tried to keep evolution out of schools (justifiably) but now ridicule the possibility of any divine aspect involved and are vehemently opposed to the utterance of Jesus unless it's in a negative context anywhere in public.

It's what regressives do. They penetrate institutions and render them tools of decline. Look at everything libturds have infected.

The whole country is in decline. The "safe spaces" do irritate people though. They alienate people who aren't bed wetters but still don't care to hear people tell jokes about queers. Let the moonbats go radical bat shit crazy. At some point they will bring the country down into chaos and most of them will dehydrate and die or be cannibalized by the ghetto rats. The rest of us who are resourceful and not terrified of guns will pick up the pieces and rebuild.
Divide and conquer.

And.... "body shaming" or "slut shaming" ...triggering... cultural appropriation... social justice warriors.

They never stop thinking up new things to be outraged over. The thing about it that bothers me most is they somehow think "tolerance" works one way. We're supposed to tolerate everything from them while they are intolerant of virtually everything from us.

The tactic has been fabulously successful for them, for a long time.

It's a shame to see it only becoming more intense at our colleges, though, the place where freedom of expression and the voicing of contrary opinions should be valued highly and not silenced.
Yes, anymore conservative's/libertarians are literally run out of colleges/universities...

Like I've always said there are no more intolerant people on the planet then progressives, except for Muslims...

I think "safe spaces" and "triggers" has gotten to the point of silliness....

I guess I don't really know what a "safe space" is. We've always had them, I thought--wherever we hang out with our friends?

I guess I don't really know what a "safe space" is. We've always had them, I thought--wherever we hang out with our friends?

Exactly...never thought it needed to be codified. At some point in time we all need to be able to learn to deal with unpleasant people, unpleasant or contrary ideas - how are we going to develop the tools to do so if we wrap everyone in cotton wool?

That's not to say people should be expected to tolerate frequent and over the top abuse - but it seems to me we've lost a balanced prospective and protecting people from exposure to IDEAS that might OFFEND them has become the goal.

No, these are specific areas around colleges designated to protect students from debate.

Trigger warnings, safe spaces: Guide to new school year - CNN.com: Safe spaces emerged from a similar intention dating back to the post-Civil Rights era, when racial minorities, women and gays and lesbians became larger presences on college campuses.Many remain today as refuges for like-minded people, where they don't have to explain or defend their politics, beliefs or practices. As Northwestern President Morton Schapiro wrote in 2015, "We all deserve safe spaces."

Something I never would have imagined, worst of all at colleges.

No, these are specific areas around colleges designated to protect students from debate.

Trigger warnings, safe spaces: Guide to new school year - CNN.com: Safe spaces emerged from a similar intention dating back to the post-Civil Rights era, when racial minorities, women and gays and lesbians became larger presences on college campuses.Many remain today as refuges for like-minded people, where they don't have to explain or defend their politics, beliefs or practices. As Northwestern President Morton Schapiro wrote in 2015, "We all deserve safe spaces."

Colleges are where you are supposed to be exposed to non-like-minded ideas.

I guess I'm torn on this one. If a 'safe space' is just a specific room or a lounge where folks who frequently get harassed can relax and hang out, I see nothing wrong with that.
I don't like to hear harassment, calling people faggots or n*ggers or rag heads or whatever, being equated with free speech, either. Perhaps college can also be a place to learn how to treat others respectfully, if you weren't taught it at home.
Of course I agree that we need to be exposed to other ideas. But to me hostility is different than an idea.

Yeah, it's pretty weird, I don't know much about it.

Although I do agree bullying should not accepted, but this seems to go beyond that. Not that I've ever seen much bullying in any of the universities I've been to, even though it wasn't recently. Although in elementary and high school I've seen bullying on a daily basis, more or less. O.k., maybe sometimes not EVERY day, but a lot.

No

Why?

I just want to go about my day without having to encounter views contrary to my own OR views that are an exaggerated version of my own (tree huggers + animal righters).

"Trigger Warnings" seem harmless to me. From Mac's article :
To me, there seems to be very little reason not to give these warnings. As a professor, it merely requires my including one extra line in a routine email to the class, such as: “A quick heads-up. The reading for this week contains a graphic depiction of sexual assault.” These warnings are not unlike the advisory notices given before films and TV shows; those who want to ignore them can do so without a second thought. The cost to students who don’t need trigger warnings is, I think, equally minimal. It may even help sensitize them to the fact that some of their classmates will find the material hard going. The idea, suggested by Professor Haidt and others, that this considerate and reasonable practice feeds into a “culture of victimhood” seems alarmist, if not completely implausible.

The article says Trigger Warnings began on social media, but they didn't. Teachers have used them for years, before school assemblies that were going to discuss abuse or sexual assault. Before teaching Huck Finn. It's a courtesy, because sure as shooting there will be a couple of students who go into a meltdown about prior sexual abuse after a guest speaker deals with the topic or a few students who don't understand what dialect is, why it is used in fiction, and what was considered common verbiage in 1870.

As the professor above explains, it's a courtesy. Why it is skin off anyone else's nose, I don't understand.

Forum List

Back