The Democrat March Toward Future Unemployment

1. "Dunkin’ Donuts announces shutdown of 100 stores citing fear of ‘outrageous’ minimum wage hikes"
Dunkin’ Donuts announces shutdown of 100 stores citing fear of 'outrageous' minimum wage hikes

Do you ever stop to think (of course you don't) that maybe the Dunkin Donuts are closing down because there's one on every corner?

Gads!!!

You've actually tried to post an argument!!!!

Bravo.

Sadly....it doesn't apply as it represents only one specific example of the general problem: Democrat policy of command and control.

More to the point...can you give some examples of business run successfully by Obama?

Bill's wife?

Any of the Marxists known as Democrats?

Waiting.

1. "Dunkin’ Donuts announces shutdown of 100 stores citing fear of ‘outrageous’ minimum wage hikes"
Dunkin’ Donuts announces shutdown of 100 stores citing fear of 'outrageous' minimum wage hikes

Do you ever stop to think (of course you don't) that maybe the Dunkin Donuts are closing down because there's one on every corner?

Gads!!!

Bravo.

Sadly....it doesn't apply as it represents only one specific example of the general problem: Democrat policy of command and control.

More to the point...can you give some examples of business run successfully by Obama?

Bill's wife?

Waiting.
Congress, I guess you leave them out of this now that they are GOP controlled, yet the economy is more influenced by them, than the president...

Before the internet age, this OP would cut articles out of The New American, paste it onto stationary, and mail it to her local newspaper's Letters to the Editor.

I wasn't around before the internet age.

Now....why is it I reduce all of you Liberal drones to complaining about the method I use to provide the facts?

Could it be that you can't deny the facts themselves?

Could be?

Gads!!!

Bravo.

Bill's wife?

Waiting.
Congress, I guess you leave them out of this now that they are GOP controlled, yet the economy is more influenced by them, than the president...

The current GOP congress is made up of capons.

6. "More Businesses Shutting Down than Starting Up
'Business deaths now exceed business births for the first time' in decades.

The American economy is less entrepreneurial now than at any point in the last three decades. That's the conclusion of a new study out from the Brookings Institution, which looks at the rates of new business creation and destruction since 1978.

Not only that, but during the most recent three years of the study -- 2009, 2010 and 2011 -- businesses were collapsing faster than they were being formed, a first. Overall, new businesses creation (measured as the share of all businesses less than one year old) declined by about half from 1978 to 2011." More Businesses Shutting Down than Starting Up

How do the Democrat administrations hide the damage???

7. "The Big Lie: 5.6% Unemployment
The official unemployment rate, as reported by the U.S. Department of Labor, is extremely misleading.

Right now, we're hearing much celebrating from the media, the White House and Wall Street about how unemployment is "down" to 5.6%. The cheerleading for this number is deafening. The media loves a comeback story, the White House wants to score political points and Wall Street would like you to stay in the market.

While you are as unemployed as one can possibly be, and tragically may never find work again, you are not counted in the figure we see relentlessly in the news -- currently 5.6%. Right now, as many as 30 million Americans are either out of work or severely underemployed. Trust me, the vast majority of them aren't throwing parties to toast "falling" unemployment.

Right now, the U.S. is delivering at a staggeringly low rate of 44%, which is the number of full-time jobs as a percent of the adult population,..." The Big Lie: 5.6% Unemployment

a. ".... the number of Americans not in the labor force rose once again, this time to 93,194K from 93,175K, with the result being a participation rate of 69.45 or just above the lowest percentage since 1977, will merely catalyze even more upside to the so called "market" which continues to reflect nothing but central bank liquidity, and thus - the accelerating deterioration of the broader economy." Americans Not In The Labor Force Rise To Record 93,194,000 | Zero Hedge

Gads!!!

Bravo.

Bill's wife?

Waiting.

That's what was said when the dems had it also......so you can see the dilemma...

Gads!!!

Bravo.

Bill's wife?

Waiting.

Every failed policy is of Democrat/Liberal design.

Every single one.

Democrat polices are wrong, shortsighted and destructive.

As I will prove.....

1. They elected and untried, inexperienced ideologue who instituted every permutation of said endeavors......with this effect:

a. "... in today’s recovery — the slowest in the modern era going back to 1947 — private capital investment has lagged badly. ... so has the jobs situation, with 92 million dropping out of the workforce altogether. A labor-participation rate of 62.8% and an employment-to-population rate of 58% are historic lows indicative of the anemic jobs recovery. "Big Business Swings Behind a Mantra of Growth - The New York Sun

b. Obama is the first President never to have had a year of 3% or better economic growth: "... annual growth during Obama’s “recovery” has never topped 3%. By comparison, it never fell below 3% during the Reagan recovery. And in the nine years following the 1990-91 recession, GDP grew faster than 3% in all but two. Heck, even Jimmy Carter had some strong growth years." President Obama's Growth Gap Hits $1.31 Trillion | Stock News & Stock Market Analysis - IBD

"The years since 2007 have been a macroeconomic disaster for the United States of a magnitude unprecedented since the Great Depression." Obama: Always Wrong, Never In Doubt

".... first president since Hoover to never have a single year above 3% GDP growth." Obama economy is 'amazing,' says hedge fund billionaire

2. As the saying goes, all politics is local. The following from my local Brooklyn paper, foresadowing the result of Democrat economic policies:

"Gravesend staple the Del Rio Diner will serve its last meal on July 24 after 40 years, and industry insiders say the iconic eatery’s closure is just an appetizer, because Brooklyn’s 24-hour mom-and-pop eateries are toast in the wake of the minimum wage hike Gov. Cuomo signed in April.

“The minimum wage, that’s what broke the camel’s back. It killed us,” said Del Rio co-owner Larry Georgeton. “The only way to compensate is you gotta hammer the menu — raise it 25 percent every year. If I was somewhere in Park Avenue Manhattan, people will pay $20 for a burger — this is Bensonhurst–Gravesend, this is working people, this is the real America, and I can’t do it to them.”

3. And Georgeton is not the only one hurting, an expert said.

“Very soon, all the Brooklyn diners will be gone. It’s the minimum wage, the Health Department, water bills,” said John Gavallas, a food distributor whose clients include the Del Rio, the Vegas in Dyker Heights, the Mirage in Midwood, and the Floridian in Marine Park.

4. The wage hike, .... is just the icing on top —[Democrat] lawmakers have been serving up onerous regulations for at least a decade, the insiders said. .....— inspections are a necessity, but under Bloomberg’s reign, they went sour and turned into a revenue-generator for the city, Gavallas said.

.....examinations are more stringent than the military’s.

“I used to be in the airforce — those inspections were easier,” said Georgeton, whose Del Rio got an A rating in June.

5. Diners are now a losing proposition, and Brooklyn’s are sure to go the way of Sheepshead Bay’s El Greco, which made way for condos in 2014 after operating for 40 years, he said."
Dine and dashed: Brooklyn’s 24-hour greasy spoons are toast, insiders say

Foresight is not a part of Democrat/Liberal economic policy....nor, if one were to judge by the unmatched list of Obama failures....

....any of their policies at all.
More lies from the ridiculous right.

As I will prove.....

1. They elected and untried, inexperienced ideologue who instituted every permutation of said endeavors......with this effect:

a. "... in today’s recovery — the slowest in the modern era going back to 1947 — private capital investment has lagged badly. ... so has the jobs situation, with 92 million dropping out of the workforce altogether. A labor-participation rate of 62.8% and an employment-to-population rate of 58% are historic lows indicative of the anemic jobs recovery. "Big Business Swings Behind a Mantra of Growth - The New York Sun

b. Obama is the first President never to have had a year of 3% or better economic growth: "... annual growth during Obama’s “recovery” has never topped 3%. By comparison, it never fell below 3% during the Reagan recovery. And in the nine years following the 1990-91 recession, GDP grew faster than 3% in all but two. Heck, even Jimmy Carter had some strong growth years." President Obama's Growth Gap Hits $1.31 Trillion | Stock News & Stock Market Analysis - IBD

"The years since 2007 have been a macroeconomic disaster for the United States of a magnitude unprecedented since the Great Depression." Obama: Always Wrong, Never In Doubt

".... first president since Hoover to never have a single year above 3% GDP growth." Obama economy is 'amazing,' says hedge fund billionaire

2. As the saying goes, all politics is local. The following from my local Brooklyn paper, foresadowing the result of Democrat economic policies:

"Gravesend staple the Del Rio Diner will serve its last meal on July 24 after 40 years, and industry insiders say the iconic eatery’s closure is just an appetizer, because Brooklyn’s 24-hour mom-and-pop eateries are toast in the wake of the minimum wage hike Gov. Cuomo signed in April.

“The minimum wage, that’s what broke the camel’s back. It killed us,” said Del Rio co-owner Larry Georgeton. “The only way to compensate is you gotta hammer the menu — raise it 25 percent every year. If I was somewhere in Park Avenue Manhattan, people will pay $20 for a burger — this is Bensonhurst–Gravesend, this is working people, this is the real America, and I can’t do it to them.”

“Very soon, all the Brooklyn diners will be gone. It’s the minimum wage, the Health Department, water bills,” said John Gavallas, a food distributor whose clients include the Del Rio, the Vegas in Dyker Heights, the Mirage in Midwood, and the Floridian in Marine Park.

4. The wage hike, .... is just the icing on top —[Democrat] lawmakers have been serving up onerous regulations for at least a decade, the insiders said. .....— inspections are a necessity, but under Bloomberg’s reign, they went sour and turned into a revenue-generator for the city, Gavallas said.

“I used to be in the airforce — those inspections were easier,” said Georgeton, whose Del Rio got an A rating in June.

5. Diners are now a losing proposition, and Brooklyn’s are sure to go the way of Sheepshead Bay’s El Greco, which made way for condos in 2014 after operating for 40 years, he said."

Foresight is not a part of Democrat/Liberal economic policy....nor, if one were to judge by the unmatched list of Obama failures....

More lies from the ridiculous right.

Gee...I searched your post for any such lies.....

....you couldn't find any, huh?

Soooo......you post was the only lie?

Excellent.

8. Thomas Sowell explains why the do it, and why they get away with policies that ultimately doom the economy:

His book, "Applied Economics: Thinking Beyond Stage One," should be required reading for aspiring politicians, and prospective voters:

Amazon review:

'Sowell takes the key political issues and challenges the reader to analyze not only their short term (Stage One) political impact but to also think ahead to their long term (Stage Two, Three, etc) economic impact.

He reminds the reader that politicians do not think beyond Stage One because they will be praised (and elected) for the short term benefits but will not be held accountable much later when the long term consequences appear.

He lays out the Stage One benefits of each political issue and then predicts the long term consequences that politicians don't address. Price controls on drugs and health care may have an immediate benefit, but the consumer will pay years later as health care quality decreases and new drug research declines. Reducing the price does not reduce the cost.

Does raising the minimum wage really help entry level workers? What happens in the long term when communities raise taxes on businesses? Is free health care really free, or better?
We need to look beyond Stage One and separate politics from economics on the hot election year issues.'

Liberals do this amazing thing: they put windbags with zero business experience in charge of regulating businesses.

There's a famous book about Democrat/Liberals business acumen...."Alice in Wonderland."

There's George McGovern:

9. "In 1988, I invested most of the earnings from this lecture circuit acquiring the leasehold on Connecticut’s Stratford Inn. … In retrospect, I wish I had known more about the hazards and difficulties of such a business, especially during a recession of the kind that hit New England just as I was acquiring the inn’s 43-year leasehold.

I also wish that during the years I was in public office, I had had this firsthand experience about the difficulties business people face every day. That knowledge would have made me a better U.S. senator and a more understanding presidential contender."
George McGovern How To Create Jobs, By George McGovern

a. Joe Biden: ‘I’ve Never Been Gainfully Employed In My Life’
Joe Biden: ‘I’ve Never Been Gainfully Employed In My Life’ - Breitbart

From the very first minimum wage laws, the careful observer has noticed that said law is not geared toward benefiting the low skilled, low wage worker.

There is something else at the heart of such economic absurdities....
a. Either making it more advantageous to bigots and racists to avoid hiring blacks

FDR talked Congress into creating Social Security in 1935 and imposing the nation’s first comprehensive minimum-wage law in 1938.....The minimum-wage law prices many of the inexperienced, the young, the unskilled, and the disadvantaged out of the labor market.
For example, the minimum-wage provisions passed as part of another act in 1933 threw an estimated 500,000 blacks out of work."
Great Myths of the Great Depression | Lawrence W. Reed

b. Or...to pretend some empathy for the low-skilled low-wage workers, and getting the soft-hearted, soft-headed to vote for them.

As I have shown, minimum wage laws, more often than not, mean no-wage laws and unemployment for such individuals.

1. While legislative bodies have the power to order wage increases, they have not as of yet found a way to order commensurate increases in worker productivity that make the worker’s output worth the higher wage.
  2. Further, while Congress can legislate the wage at which labor transactions occur, it cannot require that the transaction actually be made, and the worker hired.
    Race and Economics, Walter E. Williams.

11. Each day, Donald Boudreaux, professor of economics at George Mason University, writes a letter to the editor of a major American publication. Often, he writes in response to an absurdity offered up by a columnist or politician, or an eye-catching factoid misleadingly taken out of context. This guy is da' bomb!

Here's one of his poison darts....

And this one, spotlighting 'government economics,' minimum wage ....

1. "Program Director, 1010 WINS Radio New York City. Dear Sir or Madam:

You reported during today’s 11:00am hour that citizens of Utah are upset that the number of wild horses now being rounded up by the U.S. Bureau of Land Management is too few to protect the environment. In response, the BLM explains that its budget is too tight to justify spending additional sums to round up more horses.

2. An easy solution is available: politicians can simply declare that additional expenditures on horse round-ups are worthwhile.

3. After all, President Obama teaches us that government can make additional expenditures by businesses on employing low-skilled workers worthwhile simply by raising the minimum wage (that is, by government declaring that all low-skilled workers are now worth whatever wage government declares these workers to be worth).

4. In light of this “Progressive” economics lesson... government can make additional expenditures by the BLM on rounding-up more horses worthwhile simply by declaring that these additional expenditures are worthwhile. It’s really quite simple!

5. So let’s have no more ‘neigh’-saying by those who deny that government can use incantations to miraculously raise the market values of whatever economic activities government wishes to raise."
Competition, Job One - The New York Sun

A kick in the rump to all Progressives in government.....
....and, equally, to all the dunces who voted them into government:

"....simply by declaring that these additional expenditures are worthwhile. .....government declaring that all low-skilled workers are now worth whatever wage government declares these workers to be worth...."

As I will prove.....

So whom are you blaming all this on then? W ??

Lehman Brothers went to hell on W's watch.

History is now picking up the pieces.

Early forecasts were for a 5 to 10 year recovery to recoup all the lost value and recover the economy.

It has been 8 years so far.

Might end up being longer than 10.

Your rant contains no "proof" only stale undocumented opinions.

11. Each day, Donald Boudreaux, professor of economics at George Mason University, writes a letter to the editor of a major American publication. Often, he writes in response to an absurdity offered up by a columnist or politician, or an eye-catching factoid misleadingly taken out of context. This guy is da' bomb!

Here's one of his poison darts....

And this one, spotlighting 'government economics,' minimum wage ....

1. "Program Director, 1010 WINS Radio New York City. Dear Sir or Madam:

You reported during today’s 11:00am hour that citizens of Utah are upset that the number of wild horses now being rounded up by the U.S. Bureau of Land Management is too few to protect the environment. In response, the BLM explains that its budget is too tight to justify spending additional sums to round up more horses.

2. An easy solution is available: politicians can simply declare that additional expenditures on horse round-ups are worthwhile.

3. After all, President Obama teaches us that government can make additional expenditures by businesses on employing low-skilled workers worthwhile simply by raising the minimum wage (that is, by government declaring that all low-skilled workers are now worth whatever wage government declares these workers to be worth).

4. In light of this “Progressive” economics lesson... government can make additional expenditures by the BLM on rounding-up more horses worthwhile simply by declaring that these additional expenditures are worthwhile. It’s really quite simple!

5. So let’s have no more ‘neigh’-saying by those who deny that government can use incantations to miraculously raise the market values of whatever economic activities government wishes to raise."

A kick in the rump to all Progressives in government.....
....and, equally, to all the dunces who voted them into government:

"....simply by declaring that these additional expenditures are worthwhile. .....government declaring that all low-skilled workers are now worth whatever wage government declares these workers to be worth...."
Where do you get all this crap from?

Are you Mary Matlin?

As I will prove.....

Early forecasts were for a 5 to 10 year recovery to recoup all the lost value and recover the economy.

1. "So whom are you blaming all this on then?"

Ouch!
Your posts....like fingernails on a blackboard.
Upon reading your posts, one would never be led to suspect you had any covert literary leanings.

'On whom are you blaming this?' would be more apt.

2. And in your post we find not just an absence of ability to use the English language....

...but a a stupidity so dense that light would bend around it.

Clearly...and in several posts, I laid the blame on Democrat/Liberal policy: there is no way to find an efficacious use of "minimum wage" laws.

I was about to say 'how stupid can you be?'....but, then you'd take it as a contest.

3. And, further on, we find an admission that paints you as a liar, as well.
You wrote: "Your rant contains no "proof" only stale undocumented opinions."

Meaning that you understood from the start the villains in today's little passion play.....Democrats/Liberals.

Time for you to accrue those bonus miles on your trip back to the last seat in the dumb row.
Slither away.

Last edited:

As I will prove.....

1. "So whom are you blaming all this on then?"

Ouch!
Your posts....like fingernails on a blackboard.
Upon reading your posts, one would never be led to suspect you had any covert literary leanings.

'On whom are you blaming this?' would be more apt.

2. And in your post we find not just an absence of ability to use the English language....

...but a a stupidity so dense that light would bend around it.

Clearly...and in several posts, I laid the blame on Democrat/Liberal policy: there is no way to find an efficacious use of "minimum wage" laws.

I was about to say 'how stupid can you be?'....but, then you'd take it as a contest.

3. And, further on, we find an admission that paints you as a liar, as well.
You wrote: "Your rant contains no "proof" only stale undocumented opinions."

Meaning that you understood from the start the villains in today's little passion play.....Democrats/Liberals.

Time for you to accrue those bonus miles on your trip back to the last seat in the dumb row.
Slither away.

What I am impressed with, me con troll, is how you can make personal attacks with your head screwed up your ass. Funny thing is it causes an echo. Must be massive in there. Not many con trolls can do that.
By the way, the last seats on the dumb row have your name engraved in them.

What I am impressed with, me con troll, is how you can make personal attacks with your head screwed up your ass. Funny thing is it causes an echo. Must be massive in there. Not many con trolls can do that.
By the way, the last seats on the dumb row have your name engraved in them.

your mother must so proud of your liberal violence!! Are you proud too?

3 February 2014

Hon. Martin O’Malley, Governor
State of Maryland
Annapolis, MD

Dear Gov. O’Malley:

Reasoning that “[o]ur economy does best when our middle class is actually growing and thriving,” you today told attendees at a rally that you support a 39% hike in Maryland’s minimum wage. Contrary to the arguments of many economists who worry that raising the minimum wage prompts employers to hire fewer workers, you obviously believe that employers simply absorb higher mandated costs without changing their behavior.

So I’ve a question: If, as you believe, employers respond to higher mandated costs only by absorbing these costs rather than by changing their behavior to minimize their exposure to such costs, why are you confident that firms will pay the higher legislated minimum wage rather than pay the penalty specified for failure to do so?

You recognize that imposing costs — in the form of fines — on employers who disobey the legislation causes employers to adjust their behavior in order to minimize their exposure to the costs of fines. As a result, no firms pay workers wages below the legislated minimum. It’s odd, therefore, that you do not recognize that imposing costs — in the form of minimum wages — on employers causes employers to adjust their behavior in order to minimize their exposure to the costs of higher wages. In reality, just as raising firms’ costs of violating government regulations causes firms to commit fewer such violations, raising firms’ costs of employing low—skilled workers causes firms to employ fewer such workers.

If you think it’s silly to suppose that higher costs of employing workers reduces employment, then you must also think it’s silly to suppose that higher penalties for breaking the law reduces the amount of law breaking — and the latter proposition is one that you, as a government official, clearly do not think to be silly.

Sincerely,
Donald J. Boudreaux
Professor of Economics
and
Martha and Nelson Getchell Chair for the Study of Free Market Capitalism at the Mercatus Center
George Mason University
Fairfax, VA 22030

Forum List

Back