The decline of USPS

Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act (2006; 109th Congress H.R. 6407) - GovTrack.us

Hmmmm 2 dem co-sponsors..

Just how stupid are American Postal workers and other leftists? | Steve Bussey

Votes: Dec 8, 2006: This bill passed in the House of Representatives by voice vote. A record of each representative’s position was not kept.
Cosponsors:
Danny Davis [D-IL7]
John McHugh [R-NY23]
Henry Waxman [D-CA30]

Dec 9, 2006: This bill passed in the Senate by Unanimous Consent. A record of each senator’s position was not kept.

97 of 168 cosponsors were Democrats.
But TM swears the Republicans were solely responsible.
I guess all 97 cosponsors were threatened with certain death had they not voted yes on the Bill.

Why do you guys think that when you get Democrats to sign on to your stupid ideas, they suddenly become less stupid?

This was a stupid idea. Yeah, Democrats went along with it, probably because it got linked to a bunch of other stuff that needed to happen right now.

Let us stipulate we use it much less..
Quite frankly as far as residential mail, deliveries from business for exceed outgoing mail from residences.
In fact, the last time we used the USPS for anything was to mail 15 Christmas cards. The time before that was to mail a check to a friend of mine to pay to get into a football pool.
That was in September.

if your trying to say Mail for Businesses far exceeds outgoing from Residential.....your right.....but it has always been like that.....75-80% of mail volume has always been business to business....

SO the question I have is..Does the significant drop in first class volume have enough of an affect so that it contributes to the bleeding we now see?
I ask this because for at least the business mail I receive has a "bulk rate" mark.

im sure it contributes to it......but since the Parcel and Bulk rate volume has gone up i would think that that would offset that.....but like i have been saying.....these guys blow money real easy.....if the PMG had to go before some kind of board every year to justify the money they spend, things would be much different......this guy that is PMG right now would have been fired months ago,he is the worst i have seen in my time here.....no leadership skills and not many ideas.....and he comes off like a dumbfuck.....they have to many middle managers who have very little purpose,but they let these guys make decisions that affect the Business....and many will make those decisions to try and justify their jobs.....and by and large.....they suck at it.....the workers who actually move the mail get the job done in spite of the bullshit these people throw at us....

Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act (2006; 109th Congress H.R. 6407) - GovTrack.us

Hmmmm 2 dem co-sponsors..

Just how stupid are American Postal workers and other leftists? | Steve Bussey

Votes: Dec 8, 2006: This bill passed in the House of Representatives by voice vote. A record of each representative’s position was not kept.
Cosponsors:
Danny Davis [D-IL7]
John McHugh [R-NY23]
Henry Waxman [D-CA30]

Dec 9, 2006: This bill passed in the Senate by Unanimous Consent. A record of each senator’s position was not kept.

97 of 168 cosponsors were Democrats.
But TM swears the Republicans were solely responsible.
I guess all 97 cosponsors were threatened with certain death had they not voted yes on the Bill.

Why do you guys think that when you get Democrats to sign on to your stupid ideas, they suddenly become less stupid?

This was a stupid idea. Yeah, Democrats went along with it, probably because it got linked to a bunch of other stuff that needed to happen right now.
so you have come from how it was just the Republicans doing this to, well ok a few Democrats, to now making excuses as to why the party let this happen......you are a piece of work Joe.....

I can identify with a lot of the moves you outline in terms of what the post office should probably do for its own sustainability. Do you think the PRA of 2013 is an adequate solution to the financial woes the USPS/Government is experiencing? Or do you think that by cutting/dismantling employee positions/post office locations is a viable solution to create efficiency in a digital age?

They do Passports already. Voter Registration would be easy. Federal ID's would be easy. Who is better set up? Get rid of the Voter Registration Scam set ups, and transfer it to the Post Office, with the consent of the States, of course. Give the State DMV's a break, too. :)

Beating a Dead Horse, Why the U.S.P.S. is Really Failing - by jwc2blue - Newsvine
US Postal Service: On the Brink of Financial Collapse

They are in the red for 5.5 billion dollars
They survive on junk mail, it is decling BTW

Reducing the postal workforce. USPS has proposed cutting 220,000 positions, leaving its workforce—which once ranked with Indian Railways and the People’s Liberation Army as among the world’s largest—at 425,000 employees. Some 120,000 of these cutbacks would be through layoffs, which are barred under current union contracts. For most private companies, such provisions would be lifted as part of the normal bankruptcy process. As a federal agency, however, USPS cannot enter into bankruptcy. Nonetheless, Congress should adopt legislation to allow USPS to reduce its workforce.
■Closing post offices and other facilities. USPS plans to reduce the number of retail facilities it operates from 32,000 to 20,000 by 2015 and has already identified 3,700 for closure. In addition, it plans to cut its 500 processing plants to 200. With declining mail volume and improved technologies, this makes sense. Yet the efforts are hindered by a warren of federal rules restricting the closure of facilities and requiring cumbersome processes for doing so. Congress should eliminate these restrictions.
■Discontinuing Saturday delivery of mail. Moving to five-day-a-week delivery would save $2 billion–3 billion per year. Such an adjustment is not unprecedented. Before telephone service was widely available, mail deliveries were sometimes made several times a day. Just as telephony made such multiple deliveries unnecessary, Internet communication has made Saturday delivery nonessential. Under current law, however, USPS is barred from paring back its current delivery schedule. This prohibition should be lifted.

They are losing 75 million a month!
$5.5 billion Postal Service default won't stop the mail - Economy Watch on NBCNews.com

Cutting workers, cutting back delivery time, defaulting on payments etc and some of you folks say they are doing "fine"?

And you want the gov't to run healthcare? I thought you wanted it FIXED?
How much should a USPS worker make? Tell Harry Dresden

Beating a Dead Horse, Why the U.S.P.S. is Really Failing - by jwc2blue - Newsvine

Reducing the postal workforce. USPS has proposed cutting 220,000 positions, leaving its workforce—which once ranked with Indian Railways and the People’s Liberation Army as among the world’s largest—at 425,000 employees. Some 120,000 of these cutbacks would be through layoffs, which are barred under current union contracts. For most private companies, such provisions would be lifted as part of the normal bankruptcy process. As a federal agency, however, USPS cannot enter into bankruptcy. Nonetheless, Congress should adopt legislation to allow USPS to reduce its workforce.
■Closing post offices and other facilities. USPS plans to reduce the number of retail facilities it operates from 32,000 to 20,000 by 2015 and has already identified 3,700 for closure. In addition, it plans to cut its 500 processing plants to 200. With declining mail volume and improved technologies, this makes sense. Yet the efforts are hindered by a warren of federal rules restricting the closure of facilities and requiring cumbersome processes for doing so. Congress should eliminate these restrictions.
■Discontinuing Saturday delivery of mail. Moving to five-day-a-week delivery would save $2 billion–3 billion per year. Such an adjustment is not unprecedented. Before telephone service was widely available, mail deliveries were sometimes made several times a day. Just as telephony made such multiple deliveries unnecessary, Internet communication has made Saturday delivery nonessential. Under current law, however, USPS is barred from paring back its current delivery schedule. This prohibition should be lifted.

$5.5 billion Postal Service default won't stop the mail - Economy Watch on NBCNews.com

Cutting workers, cutting back delivery time, defaulting on payments etc and some of you folks say they are doing "fine"?

You necroed this thread for THAT? Loser

25-30 bucks an hour....and i believe anyone who has done the job for a decent length of time would agree....and there are many reasons for that....

25-30 bucks an hour....and i believe anyone who has done the job for a decent length of time would agree....and there are many reasons for that....
Sure anyone doing the job thinks they are underpaid. What do republicans think? Manual labor does not deserve high pay

No wonder republicans hate the post office. I’m glad you guys make good money. If I was going to cut pay I’d start with the senators

Postal Regulatory Commission - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The PAEA stipulates that the USPS is to make payments of $5.4 - $5.8 billion into the Postal Service Retiree Health Benefits Fund, each year, from 2007 to 2016 in order to prefund 75 years of estimated costs. This requirement also explicitly stated that the USPS was to stop using its savings to reduce postal debt, which was stipulated in Postal Civil Service Retirement System Funding Reform Act of 2003.[4] This is in addition to deductions from pay for federal contribution to social services.[5] This pre-funding method is unique to the USPS. In June 2011, the USPS had to suspend its weekly payment of 115 million into the fund because it had reached 8 billion dollars in debt and the retirement plan had a surplus of 6.9 billion dollars.[6] The schedule rate of payment has been changed and the USPS is currently expected to make a payment of 5.6 billion no later than September 30, 2012.[7

I agree. If they didn't have to come up with that every year the USPS would be in fine shape.

Forum List

Back