The Death Penalty is going out of style

I am in favor for the death penalty in theory. If the certainty of guilt in all death penalty cases were 100% and if the penalty were administered in a timely fashion ( like in less than one year), then I would be all for the death penality for the crimes that deserve it. However, The Innocents Project has proven many convicted people innocent using DNA. I don't want the execution of one innocent person on my conscious, even if it means that 100 guilty people get the death penality they deserve.

Also, people usually spend twenty years or more on death row while going through the appeals process. Because of the high expense of court cost, it would be much cheaper to simply lock theses people for life without the added court cost. I am sure some would still go through the appeal process, but it would not be to the extent as of now.

As a matter of practicality I would be in favor of banning Capitol punishment although I am in favor of it in theory.

Last edited:
I am in favor for the death penalty in theory. If the certainty of guilt in all death penalty cases were 100% and if the penalty were administered in a timely fashion ( like in less than one year), then I would be all for the death penality for the crimes that deserve it. However, The Innocents Project has proven many convicted people innocent using DNA. I don't want the execution of one innocent person on my conscious, even if it means that 100 guilty people get the death penality they deserve.

Also, people usually spend twenty years or more on death row while going through the appeals process. Because of the high expense of court cost, it would be much cheaper to simply lock theses people for life without the added court cost. I am sure some would still go through the appeal process, but it would not be to the extent as of now.

As a matter of practicality I would be in favor of banning Capitol punishment although I am in favor of it in theory.

Most of the world and most of the US realizes that the Death Penalty just isn't worth it.

Not only do we risk killing an innocent man but we bring ourselves down to the level of those murderers

I'm against the death penalty not because it's enlightened or "civilized" to be so.

I am against it because people (juries, cops, judges, etc) make mistakes. I don't want someone to be put to death because of a mistake or some preconceived conclusion based on prejudice or emotion.

That said life without parole should be exactly that and it should be a life sentence devoid of any creature comfort.

I'm against the death penalty not because it's enlightened or "civilized" to be so.

I am against it because people (juries, cops, judges, etc) make mistakes. I don't want someone to be put to death because of a mistake or some preconceived conclusion based on prejudice or emotion.

That said life without parole should be exactly that and it should be a life sentence devoid of any creature comfort.

Jesus was a victim of the death penalty

capital punishment is only a deterrent to crime when it is actually carried out in a timely manner.

I agree with the previous poster who said that some crimes are so abhorrent that capital punishment is the only remedy. What has Charles Manson contributed to society during his years in prison? What has society gotten for the millions spent to house, feed, and clothe that animal?

Dear Redfish:
1. How many more killings occur because people want to kill off witnesses to their crimes?

2. It seems clear that the people who would not be deterred from crime are not deterred by the death penalty; and those who would be deterred by the death penalty would also be deterred for fear of prosecution and other consequences period.

3. there is a small drop in crime reported after an execution is carried out. in Singapore, the fact they have *CONSISTENT consequences* for crime acts as a deterrent (and they also have some correctional requirement that literacy is required before leaving prison).

4. how much more effective and longterm deterrence would be accomplished if people were sentenced to restitution proportionately and directly related to the crime committed?

for example, for every act of premeditated murder, if someone had to pay $5 million in restitution and perhaps forfeit citizenship while working off this debt in a prison work program (while trading citizenship to immigrants applying to work as lawabiding citizens)

wouldn't that act as a stronger and more consistent deterrent?

what if all citizens were required to sign agreements upon turning legal age at 18, AGREEING to pay costs of policing, prosecution and/or incarceration if convicted of premeditated crimes? wouldn't that act as a deterrent, and set up means of saving taxpayer money for expense of lawabiding citizens instead of wasting billions on crime?

Jesus was a victim of the death penalty

So? I'm not a religious man so I really don't care about some guy dying 2000 years ago.

I'm more worried about the innocent people in jail right now.

Forum List

Back