The conventional thinking that unemployment benefits are discouraging job seeking simply isn’t true

Well the stimulus IS the cause of the RECOVERy. Both gop and dems agree upon how an economy is restarted. LOL

No. I can posit that the recovery began the moment there was clear news of a vaccine coming in. Four vaccines were produced. It gave our overall economy reason to begin opening up again.

Injections of money (no pun) from the government are not the underpins of economic recovery. People earning steady incomes and spending more is. More jobs, more money, more spending.

That has nothing to do with Biden's policies.
Uhh it does actually. Unemployment benefits were in the stimulus law.

Except Trump passed the first two stimulus laws. And the recovery began during HIS administration.

That law was only playing off the successes of the previous two.
Lol so Biden gets no credit whatsoever for the economy now? It’s ALL Trump’s doing? Somehow Biden’s stimulus means dick but the other two do. Oh gee how convenient. You couldn’t explain how if your life depended on it.

Of course a key difference with the laws Trump signed off on is that his dumbass had nothing to do with their designs. Congress created them. Biden’s law, on the other hand, is his signature legislation.
Lol so Biden gets no credit whatsoever for the economy now?

Why should he?

May 2009---According to Dems, economy was still Bushs

May 2016---According to Dems, economy was still Obamas

May 2021---Biden created a miracle...ALL HAIL BIDEN.

Just read.
I did read, and I just read the title.

Consumer spending almost always goes up when a stimulus is passed. That doesn't necessarily translate into economic recovery.
As you may have noticed, incomes rose in part because of the stimulus.

And when the money is spent, the incomes drop again.

You seriously don't know how this works do you? Stimuli in this case are temporary.

And since that is an indisputable fact, that only means the economic recovery will be too.

You think stimulus bills are some sort of permanent solution to our economic crises. The only permanent stimulus is a steady income, a job.

Please, continue demonstrating how clueless you are on this subject.
Dude incomes are incomes lol. They are what people are making from their jobs.

Stimulus checks are not from a job, you idiot. They are direct disbursements from the government treasury. Taxpayer money.

I got a stimulus check, and I can guarantee you I didn't earn a dime of it.
Hey moron, the checks are not obviously not what I was referring to. I was referring to JOBS.

So uh, what was this?
No. He has barely been in office for 3 1/2 months.
And yet the stimulus law is in full force.

Regardless of why jobs are being created, the point of my thread is that those benefits are not discouraging seeking employment.

Nice deflection and dodge.

Hence the use of the word "regardless"

You are dismissed.

Except Trump passed the first two stimulus laws. And the recovery began during HIS administration.

Lol so Biden gets no credit whatsoever for the economy now? It’s ALL Trump’s doing? Somehow Biden’s stimulus means dick but the other two do. Oh gee how convenient. You couldn’t explain how if your life depended on it.

Of course a key difference with the laws Trump signed off on is that his dumbass had nothing to do with their designs. Congress created them. Biden’s law, on the other hand, is his signature legislation.

Why should he?

Just read.

Consumer spending almost always goes up when a stimulus is passed. That doesn't necessarily translate into economic recovery.

You seriously don't know how this works do you? Stimuli in this case are temporary.

And since that is an indisputable fact, that only means the economic recovery will be too.

You think stimulus bills are some sort of permanent solution to our economic crises. The only permanent stimulus is a steady income, a job.

Stimulus checks are not from a job, you idiot. They are direct disbursements from the government treasury. Taxpayer money.

Hey moron, the checks are not obviously not what I was referring to. I was referring to JOBS.

So uh, what was this?

Regardless of why jobs are being created, the point of my thread is that those benefits are not discouraging seeking employment.

You are dismissed.
Uh what I said? Incomes are rising in part because of the stimulus. Duh.

Why should he?

Ewe do know in May of 2016 Obama was still in office right,
MAGA
corrected

Why should he?

Just read.

So uh, what was this?

You are dismissed.

Thanks for undermining your own argument, Billy.

Move along, now.

Why should he?

Just read.

So uh, what was this?

You are dismissed.

Thanks for undermining your own argument, Billy.

Move along, now.
Lol whatever you say, TK.

Jobless claims are at a 14 month pandemic low.

Many states are lifting COVID restrictions and NEW jobless claims are "ONLY" 498,000...you're touting this as a good thing? Dumbass.
You idiots always miss the point. Regardless of why jobs are being created, the point is that unemployment benefits do not discourage work.

Talk about missing the point. Your link says jobless claims were 230,000 prior to the viral outbreak. Which according to "accurate" math is less than half of the number you're trying to brag about.

Many states are lifting COVID restrictions and NEW jobless claims are "ONLY" 498,000...you're touting this as a good thing? Dumbass.
You idiots always miss the point. Regardless of why jobs are being created, the point is that unemployment benefits do not discourage work.

Talk about missing the point. Your link says jobless claims were 230,000 prior to the viral outbreak. Which according to "accurate" math is less than half of the number you're trying to brag about.
What so the virus doesn’t matter?

You are very correct.

The problem is wages and working conditions.

Pay people a living wage with decent working conditions and they won't have a problem finding people to work for them.

It's classic capitalism, supply and demand.

Dumbass! Those are NEW jobless claims! How many people have been on unemployment for an extended period of time because the Democrats keep extending benefits? Duh?

Why should he?

Just read.

So uh, what was this?

You are dismissed.
Are incomes back to pre-pandemic levels? I really don't know. I assumed they were not. But maybe enough stimulus was applied to get us there.

I'm not sure what the discussion is anymore. LOL UI pretty much ends, or goes back to 'normal' eligibity sometime around Aug. I think we posted like 7% annualized growth last qtr, or are having it in the 2nd qtr. And it may hit 10% in the final two quarters.

Dumbass! Those are NEW jobless claims! How many people have been on unemployment for an extended period of time because the Democrats keep extending benefits? Duh?
You really shouldnt' call people names, esp considering you seem to have missed the pretty historic numbers of new hires.

But there are disinctives to getting jobs. Larger benefits in part, but also fear of getting sick ... and real wages have fallen for men since 1980. And it's pretty stagnant overall

The point of the thread is why is employment happening, and it by UUUUUG bigly numbers, despite benefits.

Yes it does.

My wife is the HR manager where she works and oversees 4 facilities in 3 states and will absolutely tell you people don't want to work because of unemployment.

I've seen it also where I work. Myself and 5 other people have been the only ones to never have been off work the past year.

Now where I work we see a lot of people applying but never taking calls to work. They just want to say they are looking for work so they can keep those unemployment checks coming. People got spoiled last year by not having to work and now a lot of them don't want to work again, they keep wanting uncle sucker to pay them for nothing.

If people are being paid more on unemployment than working where your wife works, that company needs to increase their wages.

Seems people are going to other employers who are paying them a living wage with decent working conditions.

I know when I worked in accounting, the company I worked for opened a store in Oregon. They offered a little over minimum wage in pay. No one even applied. This was in the 1990s.

The company increased the starting wage to a living wage and had no problem hiring good workers.

It's simple supply and demand. Do you understand capitalism?

Yes it does.

My wife is the HR manager where she works and oversees 4 facilities in 3 states and will absolutely tell you people don't want to work because of unemployment.

I've seen it also where I work. Myself and 5 other people have been the only ones to never have been off work the past year.

Now where I work we see a lot of people applying but never taking calls to work. They just want to say they are looking for work so they can keep those unemployment checks coming. People got spoiled last year by not having to work and now a lot of them don't want to work again, they keep wanting uncle sucker to pay them for nothing.

If people are being paid more on unemployment than working where your wife works, that company needs to increase their wages.

Seems people are going to other employers who are paying them a living wage with decent working conditions.

I know when I worked in accounting, the company I worked for opened a store in Oregon. They offered a little over minimum wage in pay. No one even applied. This was in the 1990s.

The company increased the starting wage to a living wage and had no problem hiring good workers.

It's simple supply and demand. Do you understand capitalism?
Well it may be that UI benefits are helping set a market floor. I'm not sure I'd like that as a permanent situation. But I thought the dems were on the right track in using middle class entitlement programs to do what unions once did, so that employers could have lower wages while employees still got healthcare and affordable educ.

Yes it does.

This fails as a hasty generalization fallacy.
IT's also totally non-responsive and even contrary to the OP. What Resnic says may actually be true, and it's not unlike what I've seen ..... yet there ARE less UI claims. There has to be a reason for that fact.

I think there's a very simple reason.

People are going back to work but they aren't going back to that employer.

I can't say for sure but the best bet is that employer isn't paying livable wages and doesn't have decent working conditions.

People are going back to work at companies that will pay them a wage they can live on with decent working conditions.

It's really simple supply and demand. There is a high demand for workers. There is a low supply of workers to hire. So the value of the worker has gone up but some employers aren't willing to acknowledge that to take the proper steps to attract new employees.

Capitalism.

Workers produce more when paid more and produce less when paid less. Economics 101. Better paying employers get the best workers.

Humans being human, you'll always find a significant number who will take something for nothing.

James and I were in Springfield yesterday.

You'd really have to look to find a business that wasn't hiring.

Same as the little town we live outside of.

A friend of ours owns a small business he may have to close because he can't find anyone who wants to work these days.

Get the fuck outta here with your bullshit lies.
If people pay shit, no would want to work there. That’s something people aren’t putting up with anymore.

Forum List

Back