The Civil War.....Was it not as in the old days?

The archer that shot the arrow that eventually killed King Richard the Lionheart, was made to come out of the castle and apologize to Richard ... face-to-face ... yeah, war was different back then ... kings fought other kings ... the American Civil War was the first nation against nation war ... and it was vicious ... and unprecedented in it's brutality ...

Railroads change warfare ... at least until July 19th, 1945 ...

The archer that shot the arrow that eventually killed King Richard the Lionheart, was made to come out of the castle and apologize to Richard ... face-to-face ... yeah, war was different back then ...
And Richard forgave him, gave him money and a horse and told him to flee. After Richard died he was tracked down, brought back to the castle, and skinned alive.

I have the three volume set...1st edition.
I wonder what value might be attached to his first edition trilogy.

Another fantastic trilogy, and one that predates Foote's trilogy, is by Bruce Catton. I've read two of the three.

"A Stillness at Appomattox" won the Pulitzer Prize in 1954, and it is an amazing read.

I wonder what value might be attached to his first edition trilogy.

Another fantastic trilogy, and one that predates Foote's trilogy, is by Bruce Catton. I've read two of the three.

"A Stillness at Appomattox" won the Pulitzer Prize in 1954, and it is an amazing read.
$350 - $500 depending on the binding.

Lots of relics along Lee's retreat. The ironic thing is that you can piss and shit in most public parks and shoplift at will but the feds will take your car and put you in jail if you pick up a mini ball on federal property.

Lots of relics along Lee's retreat. The ironic thing is that you can piss and shit in most public parks and shoplift at will but the feds will take your car and put you in jail if you pick up a mini ball on federal property.
Yep....Above Burnside's Bridge at the Sharpsburg Battlefield there is a cornfield (or whatever is planted there from year to year) just off the parking area on the Confederate side of the bridge where you can still see mini-balls and shell fragments poking up out of the ground after a rain if the field has been harvested.

Odd thing though, the creek bed itself is not under the protection of the feds so I guess if you found something in the creek you could keep it.

Yep....Above Burnside's Bridge at the Sharpsburg Battlefield there is a cornfield (or whatever is planted there from year to year) just off the parking area on the Confederate side of the bridge where you can still see mini-balls and shell fragments poking up out of the ground after a rain if the field has been harvested.

Odd thing though, the creek bed itself is not under the protection of the feds so I guess if you found something in the creek you could keep it.
I live about 15 miles from Lexington Va. and I dug a VMI button in my garden.

The archer that shot the arrow that eventually killed King Richard the Lionheart, was made to come out of the castle and apologize to Richard ... face-to-face ... yeah, war was different back then ... kings fought other kings ... the American Civil War was the first nation against nation war ... and it was vicious ... and unprecedented in it's brutality ...

Railroads change warfare ... at least until July 19th, 1945 ...
Um, you should research what they did to the archer before you say that...

They still find things at the Little Big Horn.

I live about 15 miles from Lexington Va. and I dug a VMI button in my garden.
I was digging a place in my AO that was fought-over a couple times and a camp for one side or the other pretty much throughout the war. The first thing I ever found digging was a CS tongue & wreath belt buckle.

One morning I kept digging Yankee eagle breast and cuff buttons and then I pulled out a whole clump of seven buttons on a copper wire. They were all Confederate buttons from seven different states. I guess the Yankee had the buttons on him as souvenirs.

I dug that place for six years and never saw where anyone else was ever in there. I found a footlocker full of stuff not counting bullets and shells. Sadly they cleared it and built a Walmart/Lowes and and bunch of chain eateries on it.

I bet every evening for a week or better after they cleared it diggers were in there till they ran them off when a couple got into a fight.

I would ride by and just smile, knowing I got the good stuff. ;)

I was digging a place in my AO that was fought-over a couple times and a camp for one side or the other pretty much throughout the war. The first thing I ever found digging was a CS tongue & wreath belt buckle.

One morning I kept digging Yankee eagle breast and cuff buttons and then I pulled out a whole clump of seven buttons on a copper wire. They were all Confederate buttons from seven different states. I guess the Yankee had the buttons on him as souvenirs.

I dug that place for six years and never saw where anyone else was ever in there. I found a footlocker full of stuff not counting bullets and shells. Sadly they cleared it and built a Walmart/Lowes and and bunch of chain eateries on it.

I bet every evening for a week or better after they cleared it diggers were in there till they ran them off when a couple got into a fight.

I would ride by and just smile, knowing I got the good stuff. ;)
Early detectors got the big stuff. I found a C.S. tongue portion at a local home site with a Garrett clunker years ago. I imagine more sophisticated stuff gets deeper and smaller targets these days.

Early detectors got the big stuff. I found a C.S. tongue portion at a local home site with a Garrett clunker years ago. I imagine more sophisticated stuff gets deeper and smaller targets these days.
I had a old Garrett "groundhog" for a bit but moved to a Whites 5900, I still use it. There are deeper machines but it keeps me busy enough. That and I like the manual ground balance many don't offer these days.

Um, you should research what they did to the archer before you say that...

As a former landlord, I can assure you I have first hand experience with what was done to the archer ... and his wife and children ... I'd have to research to find out if the archers parents were also put to death ... war was used for population control for the commoners ... not the nobility, this is strictly entertainment for them ...

Doesn't change the my point that this kind of respect and dignity in warfare ended after Christmas 1914 ... and on July 19th, 1945, real warfare ended ... technology isn't polite ...

I found a fired minie ball on the ground at Shiloh in October 2020. I almost stepped on it before I saw it.

Forum List

Back