The best college in the United States

Why do you believe it is the best?
How do you define "the best college"?
i believe Canisius is the best small class private college in the country. they have a high rate of career success with its graduates. Canisius is great for researching and for shaping tomorrow's leaders. And you can most likely receive alot of financial help to attend Canisius.

i believe Canisius is the best small class private college in the country. they have a high rate of career success with its graduates. Canisius is great for researching and for shaping tomorrow's leaders. And you can most likely receive alot of financial help to attend Canisius.
college is a waste of time...go to goodwill spend a hundred bucks on books...read them and get as good a education as most college can give you and a helluva lot cheaper

college is a waste of time...go to goodwill spend a hundred bucks on books...read them and get as good a education as most college can give you and a helluva lot cheaper
i still think you need to go to college to get better pay. it's the difference betweeen getting just a wage and a good salary.

For most occupations, as long as you have the piece of paper called a degree, that's all that matters. It doesn't matter if its from Harvard, University of Louisville or Bob's College.
yeah, but the difference between going to a public university like Harvard and a private college like Canisius is hundreds of students in one class versus just two dozen students in one class where the professor actually cares about each individual student and their academic growth and occupational future.

Career success might just mean they get the right students in, rather than actually teaching them much (I don't know).
A lot of time it's the individual teachers that make a difference, rather than a college itself.

Career success might just mean they get the right students in, rather than actually teaching them much (I don't know).
A lot of time it's the individual teachers that make a difference, rather than a college itself.
and i think private colleges get the best teachers.

and i think private colleges get the best teachers.
Well, it's debatable what a good teacher is. In the world of image is everything, perhaps those colleges get the teachers who are best at selling themselves, rather than the ones who give the students the most.

Well, it's debatable what a good teacher is. In the world of image is everything, perhaps those colleges get the teachers who are best at selling themselves, rather than the ones who give the students the most.
i think sometimes that's the case but not most of the time.

yeah, but the difference between going to a public university like Harvard and a private college like Canisius is hundreds of students in one class versus just two dozen students in one class where the professor actually cares about each individual student and their academic growth and occupational future.

Harvard is a private university

i think sometimes that's the case but not most of the time.
Essentially it's very hard to determine what the best college is, so we make league tables or we decide something is. But really, to know, you'd have to spend a life time studying to figure it out.

For most occupations, as long as you have the piece of paper called a degree, that's all that matters. It doesn't matter if its from Harvard, University of Louisville or Bob's College.
The real reason many jobs require you to have a degree is to cover the personal manager‘s ass who hired you if you fail to work out.

While I don't disagree .. Canisius is $32K / year, and you can reap the same post-college experience by attending a host of colleges and paying less than half. Unless you're going into a prestigious field, all employers care about is the piece of paper.

The real reason many jobs require you to have a degree is to cover the personal manager‘s ass who hired you if you fail to work out.
I'm not aligned with that justification. Employers require a degree for a number of reasons: as a screening tool to minimize the pool of candidates for a role, legal requirements such as law and some healthcare roles, demonstrated skills and knowledge and professional standards etc ..

But you just said that getting a degree is the difference between a wage and a good salary, you can get a degree anywhere why pay more when you don’t need to. Seems like that is not a smart thing to do.

Did you go to Canisius? I would question the college particularly because you believe Harvard is a private, not a public university. Just saying.

Last edited:
But you just said that getting a degree is the difference between a wage and a good salary, you can get a degree anywhere why pay more when you don’t need to. Seems like that is not a smart thing to do.
Exactly correct .. unless it is some type of prestigious role, it really doesn't matter where you get a degree, and you can pay substantially less than $32K/year at Canisius.

I support education and going to college even if you want to be an African american studies major and open a nail and weave salon in the hood. Society benefits from a more educated population. We just need to deconstruct the current model some and make college attainable for free locally instead of being a 4 or 5 year summer camp experience.

Forum List

Back