The Anti-Hero and American Politics

From Australia:

An anti-hero, a word normally associated with fictional characters, is someone who plays the central role in a story despite possessing none of the virtues associated with a traditional heroic lead character. In a paper last year, a pair of researchers described the anti-hero as “a bewitching, unrepentant, amoral outsider who breaks old rules and creates new ones while leaving chaos in his wake”.

They argued that Trump’s popularity was “foretold by decades of pop-cultural obsession with, and adulation for, the anti-hero”. One can think of Tony Soprano in The Sopranos, Walter White in Breaking Bad, or Michael Corleone in The Godfather as examples of the huge cultural popularity of the anti-hero in the run-up to Trump.

People love [the anti-hero] because they are fascinated by their amoral or even immoral stance – a stance which they cannot really take because they would get into trouble,” says Igor Prusa, co-author of the paper and a lecturer at Ambis University in Prague. “We admire them despite their transgressions, corruption and wrongdoing, which become a kind of aesthetical achievement.”

I'd be very surprised to see this SC uphold this. Not with its present makeup.

Oh well. We'll see.
that is the danger of even attempting to find a common sense redress of grievances in the age of trump and the federalist society.

they may be setting precedents that will allow future presidents to pardon themselves or to hunt homeless for sport.

The important characteristic of the anti-hero is that there are endearing qualities about them that aren't always recognized. It's why some women like the "bad boy", or the Leader of the Pack. Even songs like Bohemian Rhapsody. A guy commits murder but people sympasize with him because they see him as a poor kid who is a victim of the system. There is some truth to this in life.without question, like a.dog.kicked everyda who.one day bites his owner. Do.we blame the dog? This is also.why so many hate those who have power snd abuse it, they are often far worse than the anti-hero because they don't have any endearing qualitiesbut to exploit. They are WORSE for.society than one single bad guy

that is the danger of even attempting to find a common sense redress of grievances in the age of trump and the federalist society.

they may be setting precedents that will allow future presidents to pardon themselves or to hunt homeless for sport.
We do seem to specialize in short term thinking while ignoring possible long term effects.

It's been REALLY interesting watching some lefties react to this. There is a degree of initial glee over the decision, but then it seems to quickly turn into something else. This could pretty easily end up looking like overkill.

As far as I'm concerned, what happens in 2024 takes a back seat to the condition of this country, and what we have learned about it over the last seven years. 2016 was pretty goddamn instructive about who we are, sadly.
2016 was pretty goddamn instructive about who we are, sadly.
How libs reacted to trump’s victory was far worse for the country

The obama Deep State lied and fabricated evidence in the finest traditions of a banana republic

Last edited:
We do seem to specialize in short term thinking while ignoring possible long term effects.
Such as biden importing millions of foreigners that serve no purpose except to change the demographics of the country

and further impoverish us

For biden-voting libs like mac1958 its just a stick in the eye of concerned MAGAs

but the longterm damage is huge

I'll put it to you this way.....

I'd not walk across the street to see Trump and I had planned on voting for someone else in Virginia's Super Tuesday primary.

No more.....Trump will now get my primary vote out of sheer spite at what the leftists have done.

Dems wanted it, they got it.....I'll spit my last vote at thee.

16g3xn.jpg

Something hit me this morning as I was thinking about the reaction to the Colorado court ruling on Trump, and I thought I'd toss it out here to see your opinions (amongst the standard personal insults and name-calling).

Growing up in the Bay Area, I was a big Oakland Raider fan back in the day. Their reputation was always The Bad Guy, and we just loved that. We loved backing The Bad Guys. And certainly America loves its Anti-Heroes, particularly in our movies and teevee shows. I'll bet all of us can think of a few Bad Guy Anti-Hero movies and characters we've enjoyed, from Pirates of the Caribbean to Scarface to Pulp Fiction.

Anyway, those judges in Colorado did what they figured they had to do. But I expect this Supreme Court to throw it out, and it wouldn't surprise me at all to see Trump's popularity increase because of this, when all is said and done.

Thoughts?

There is a secret to being the bad boy and being popular. To being the beloved anti hero and admired. That secret is you have to win.

Trump is a loser. He lost in 2020, and every court case since he’s lost. Every motion he files is rejected out of hand. He isn’t a winner. And the bad boys or anti heroes who lose? Well they are just Dicks.

A man who proclaims he has mountains of evidence he never produces is a blowhard. A man who feels big only when he belittles others, and never turns that critical eye on himself, is an ass.

But we are talking about Donald. And he isn’t the antihero. He is just a Charlatan. A snake oil salesman. A revival preacher with a fancy tent.

Look at the great leaders from history. You had Eisenhower. A man who ordered the D-Day invasion and then sat down and wrote out his resignation letter accepting all the blame if it failed. Taking responsibility for his decisions. Prepared to go into the history books as a massive failure.

Same war. Chester Nimitz. A man who risked everything on the battle of Midway.

Japanese leaders, many of them committed suicide in shame for losing the war.

Ronald Reagan who walked away from the summit in Iceland when removal of all nukes was on the table. Because he was willing to risk it all for his Strategic Defense plan. A decision denounced and derided at the time, and which History has viewed as brilliant as people realized it was the final death knell in the coffin of the Soviets.

LBJ who assumed responsibility for the war in Vietnam and withdrew from the Presidential Race in 1968 after Tet.

Leaders accept responsibility for failures. Trump doesn’t. Leaders admit when they lost. Trump doesn’t.

As for the court case. It’s interesting. When it comes to Abortion that is a states rights issue the Feds have no business in. Elections? The legislature calls it and the Feds only count it up. Except when Trump doesn’t like the outcome and demands that the VP reject the votes.

Trump was never going to win Colorado. The idiot is now insuring the debate revolves around how it was or was not an insurrection. Oh and if the actions that may have been an insurrection are actually barred by the Constitution.

Trump is the biggest dumbass we have ever had in the White House. And that is saying something.

There is a secret to being the bad boy and being popular. To being the beloved anti hero and admired. That secret is you have to win.

Trump is a loser. He lost in 2020, and every court case since he’s lost. Every motion he files is rejected out of hand. He isn’t a winner. And the bad boys or anti heroes who lose? Well they are just Dicks.

A man who proclaims he has mountains of evidence he never produces is a blowhard. A man who feels big only when he belittles others, and never turns that critical eye on himself, is an ass.

But we are talking about Donald. And he isn’t the antihero. He is just a Charlatan. A snake oil salesman. A revival preacher with a fancy tent.

Look at the great leaders from history. You had Eisenhower. A man who ordered the D-Day invasion and then sat down and wrote out his resignation letter accepting all the blame if it failed. Taking responsibility for his decisions. Prepared to go into the history books as a massive failure.

Same war. Chester Nimitz. A man who risked everything on the battle of Midway.

Japanese leaders, many of them committed suicide in shame for losing the war.

Ronald Reagan who walked away from the summit in Iceland when removal of all nukes was on the table. Because he was willing to risk it all for his Strategic Defense plan. A decision denounced and derided at the time, and which History has viewed as brilliant as people realized it was the final death knell in the coffin of the Soviets.

LBJ who assumed responsibility for the war in Vietnam and withdrew from the Presidential Race in 1968 after Tet.

Leaders accept responsibility for failures. Trump doesn’t. Leaders admit when they lost. Trump doesn’t.

As for the court case. It’s interesting. When it comes to Abortion that is a states rights issue the Feds have no business in. Elections? The legislature calls it and the Feds only count it up. Except when Trump doesn’t like the outcome and demands that the VP reject the votes.

Trump was never going to win Colorado. The idiot is now insuring the debate revolves around how it was or was not an insurrection. Oh and if the actions that may have been an insurrection are actually barred by the Constitution.

Trump is the biggest dumbass we have ever had in the White House. And that is saying something.
So tell me: What does it say about a country when a person like this is leading in the polls for President? Or that even 10% or 20% of that country adores him?

The connection I made in the OP between showbiz and politics was deliberate. Are we now nothing more than a shallow, rotted-out, celebrity-based society?

Who's next -- Kim Kardashian?

So tell me: What does it say about a country when a person like this is leading in the polls for President? Or that even 10% or 20% of that country adores him?

The connection I made in the OP between showbiz and politics was deliberate. Are we now nothing more than a shallow, rotted-out, celebrity-based society?

Who's next -- Kim Kardashian?

The Cope is delicious, I hope you know

This will be the other thing to watch for, if they overturn it is it due to him not being convicted or the 14th not applying to the office of President.
Hopefully it would be the former. This just seems like a stretch from Colorado.

And by the way, if it were not overturned, it would invite copycats from all over the country. From both parties.

We continue to go in the wrong direction.

Hopefully it would be the former. This just seems like a stretch from Colorado.

And by the way, if it were not overturned, it would invite copycats from all over the country.

We continue to go in the wrong direction.

Were the members of the CSA that were the target of this amendment, as we have been told over and over again, ever convicted in a trial?

There is a lot to unpack here.

Something hit me this morning as I was thinking about the reaction to the Colorado court ruling on Trump, and I thought I'd toss it out here to see your opinions (amongst the standard personal insults and name-calling).

Growing up in the Bay Area, I was a big Oakland Raider fan back in the day. Their reputation was always The Bad Guy, and we just loved that. We loved backing The Bad Guys. And certainly America loves its Anti-Heroes, particularly in our movies and teevee shows. I'll bet all of us can think of a few Bad Guy Anti-Hero movies and characters we've enjoyed, from Pirates of the Caribbean to Scarface to Pulp Fiction.

Anyway, those judges in Colorado did what they figured they had to do. But I expect this Supreme Court to throw it out, and it wouldn't surprise me at all to see Trump's popularity increase because of this, when all is said and done.

Thoughts?

You might have something there. Trump is definitely the bad guy when it comes to attacking the establishment and the swamp and the more the swamp attacks him the more popular Trump gets, and not with just his cult followers. Trump is gaining with blacks, young people, and independents. And yet the left continue attacking Trump. How stupid is that?

i think trump may have a point on this one. the intent of the 14th amendment was clearly accomplished with the death of the last confederate.

on the other hand, a society that regards an oath or a vow so casually needs to stop bragging about gods exceptional love long enough to consider their use of his name in vain.
SCOTUS will over turn for two reasons

They are a highly partisan body

The basis of this is shaky. Trump has not been found guilty of insurrection

The law that would disallow him to run is solid but Courts will find that it doesn’t apply without conviction

Forum List

Back