The American Worker

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
https://www.washingtonpost.com/goin...11e9-b873-63ace636af08_story.html?arc404=true

I haven't seen this documentary - only listened to a commentary on it on NPR, but it appears to focus on the culture clash between a Chinese owner and American workers in Dayton, Ohio.

One thing looming in the background is this: The most successful "transplant" companies in the U.S. are the auto factories built by Japanese, German, and Korean companies, most of which are profitably cranking out relatively high-quality cars that are competitive in the American market.

But here's the thing: With a few exceptions THOSE companies took great pains to locate their plants where they could find workers WHO WERE NOT INFECTED WITH THE CANCER OF COLLECTIVE BARGAINING. They went to Kentucky, rural Ohio, South Carolina, and Tennessee, places where the labor pool had very few people who had belonged to unions before and CERTAINLY NO FORMER UAW MEMBERS. This was not a coincidence.

Because THOSE people want high pay, un-demanding work, pleasant work schedules, and the ability to tell Management to fuck-off when things aren't going well.

The documentary interviews a woman who had worked for GM eight years earlier. She had been making around $29/hr for GM, and was now making about $12.50 for the Chinese billionaire's company. While she was "happy" to have the job (which was, by definition, the best job she could find), she had the attitude that she wasn't making what she was worth, and was clearly resentful.

But in the Real World, $12.50 is an OK level of pay for non-skilled workers, especially when overtime is frequently available. It's not enough to raise a family, but two such people could get by.

All in all, it is an interesting story.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/goin...11e9-b873-63ace636af08_story.html?arc404=true

I haven't seen this documentary - only listened to a commentary on it on NPR, but it appears to focus on the culture clash between a Chinese owner and American workers in Dayton, Ohio.

One thing looming in the background is this: The most successful "transplant" companies in the U.S. are the auto factories built by Japanese, German, and Korean companies, most of which are profitably cranking out relatively high-quality cars that are competitive in the American market.

But here's the thing: With a few exceptions THOSE companies took great pains to locate their plants where they could find workers WHO WERE NOT INFECTED WITH THE CANCER OF COLLECTIVE BARGAINING. They went to Kentucky, rural Ohio, South Carolina, and Tennessee, places where the labor pool had very few people who had belonged to unions before and CERTAINLY NO FORMER UAW MEMBERS. This was not a coincidence.

Because THOSE people want high pay, un-demanding work, pleasant work schedules, and the ability to tell Management to fuck-off when things aren't going well.

The documentary interviews a woman who had worked for GM eight years earlier. She had been making around $29/hr for GM, and was now making about $12.50 for the Chinese billionaire's company. While she was "happy" to have the job (which was, by definition, the best job she could find), she had the attitude that she wasn't making what she was worth, and was clearly resentful.

But in the Real World, $12.50 is an OK level of pay for non-skilled workers, especially when overtime is frequently available. It's not enough to raise a family, but two such people could get by.

Is the American Worker woefully underpaid? Yes.

My Plan

-Jail all employers that knowingly hire illegal aliens.

-End all Republican worker visa programs.

-Base Federal tax for corporations at 30% of revenue.

-Raise minimum wage to $23.50/hr. Based on where minimum wage should be using 1970-2020 rise in food, shelter, and transportation.

-Eliminate all business subsidies (deductions/write-offs/write-downs) except for employee expenses which are deducted dollar-for-dollar on all city, state, and Federal taxes and fees with the Feds refunding city, State, and fees.

-Companies with unlimited employees; employee expenses above the deduction are subsidized at 100% with funds usually give back to the States.

-Adjust Social Security and private/public retirement and pension payments using 1970-2020 price structure.

-Remove the FICA limit.

-Back down ALL costs, prices, fees, to January 1, 2009 levels and hold them for 15 years which will eliminate inflation.

-Recall ALL off-shore investments tax free, and disallow any further off-shore investments.

-Make inversion illegal.

My plan would reduce business costs for employees and taxes to 30%. That's a 15%-30% drop.

My plan would put BILLIONS into the economy daily.

My plan would put the $100 trillion plus currently owned by corporate America back into the economy.

My plan would end all welfare.

My plan would significantly increase social security and pension payments.

France, where unemployment has exceeded 9% for decades, has highest min wage in Europe. Switzerland has no min wage, 3.4% unemployment.

12.50 does not seem like a good GOAL.

France, where unemployment has exceeded 9% for decades, has highest min wage in Europe. Switzerland has no min wage, 3.4% unemployment.

Which has nothing to do with anything. Look at the unemployment rates of the $15/hour minimum wages cities in the US and compare to places like Alaska (no taxes), Mississippi (low taxes, low wages, low regulation) and other similar perpetually under-performing states.

Look at immigration if you want to get closer to understanding the differences between FR and CH.

Is the American Worker woefully underpaid? Yes.

My Plan

-Jail all employers that knowingly hire illegal aliens.

-End all Republican worker visa programs.

-Base Federal tax for corporations at 30% of revenue.

-Raise minimum wage to $23.50/hr. Based on where minimum wage should be using 1970-2020 rise in food, shelter, and transportation.

-Eliminate all business subsidies (deductions/write-offs/write-downs) except for employee expenses which are deducted dollar-for-dollar on all city, state, and Federal taxes and fees with the Feds refunding city, State, and fees.

-Companies with unlimited employees; employee expenses above the deduction are subsidized at 100% with funds usually give back to the States.

-Adjust Social Security and private/public retirement and pension payments using 1970-2020 price structure.

-Remove the FICA limit.

-Back down ALL costs, prices, fees, to January 1, 2009 levels and hold them for 15 years which will eliminate inflation.

-Recall ALL off-shore investments tax free, and disallow any further off-shore investments.

-Make inversion illegal.

My plan would reduce business costs for employees and taxes to 30%. That's a 15%-30% drop.

My plan would put BILLIONS into the economy daily.

My plan would put the $100 trillion plus currently owned by corporate America back into the economy.

My plan would end all welfare.

My plan would significantly increase social security and pension payments.
And put most small businesses out of business

Which has nothing to do with anything. Look at the unemployment rates of the $15/hour minimum wages cities in the US and compare to places like Alaska (no taxes), Mississippi (low taxes, low wages, low regulation) and other similar perpetually under-performing states.

Look at immigration if you want to get closer to understanding the differences between FR and CH.
Combination of low wage illegals, and EPA HAS destroyed education and jobs

Forum List

Back