The 20 year anniversary of the United States invasion of Iraq. What are your thoughts all these years later?

The second part of the C-SPAN program they brought in the Vietnam veteran to provide his commentary and he took on callers questions. Andrew Bacevich from the Quincy Institute he is a Vietnam veteran… one caller an Iraq war veteran said to Andrew that the generals and the political establishment got the Iraq war wrong big time. One of the reasons why they felt the Iraqi people would happily welcome the Americans, would happily welcome getting rid of their government. They were wrong and it cost tons and tons of life including 4200 American soldiers and Americans who had there legs blown off.

Now today we hear the warmongers the neo conservatives and Democrats like Joe Biden making bold claims that the people of Russia don’t actually want Vladimir Putin. Now I don’t agree with Russia invading Ukraine and most people don’t …. of course there are the people in Russia who do. Kind of like how American people initially supported the Iraq war but years later disagreed …I think that’s gonna happen with Russia decades from now but here we are in the midst of history….. we are doing the wrong things in Russia and Ukraine. Right now most people in Russia actually support Putin so if the United States wants to put forth some military ideals to try and overthrow the government of Russia could you imagine what the outcome could be.

I just can’t believe what the Biden supporters and warmongers are saying today…. it’s like they haven’t learned anything from the mistakes in Iraq.
Yeah the Biden supporters hate Donald Trump the very man who got us involved in no new wars who wanted to bring Russia closer together with America to avoid the conflict in Ukraine.

we need Trump back.

The second part of the C-SPAN program they brought in the Vietnam veteran to provide his commentary and he took on colors questions. Andrew Bacevich from the Quincy Institute he is a Vietnam veteran… But one caller and Iraq war veteran said to Andrew that the generals and the political establishment got the Iraq war wrong big time. One of the reasons why they felt at the Iraqi people would happily welcome the Americans would happily welcome getting rid of their government. They were wrong and it cost tons and tons of life including 4200 American soldiers and tell us Americans with her legs blown off.

Now today we hear the same warmongers the neo conservatives and Democrats like Joe Biden making bold claims that the people of Russia don’t actually want Vladimir Putin. No I don’t agree with Russia invading Ukraine and most people don’t unless of course there are the people in Russia who do. Kind of like how America people initially supported the Iraq war but years later disagreed with it certainly many of them dead. I think that’s gonna happen with Russia decades from now but here we are in the midst of history….. we are doing the wrong things in Russia and Ukraine. Right now most people in Russia actually support Putin so if United States wants to put forth some military ideals to try and overthrow the government of Russia could you imagine what the outcome could be.

I just can’t believe what the Biden supporters in a warmongers are saying today it’s like they haven’t learned anything from the mistakes in Iraq.
Yeah the Biden supporters hate Donald Trump the very man who got us involved in no new wars who wanted to bring Russia closer together with America to avoid the conflict in Ukraine. Wow unbelievable we need Trump back.
Batshit crazy seems to be the order of the day with these MAGArats

People like me and practically most of the Americans in the thread are saying we disagreed with the invasion of Iraq. Saddam Hussein was not perfect he had his issues and so did Iraq but there was no point in the US getting involved there. Iraq is all the worse off after 2003. Now you have these crazy warmongers like Lindsey Graham and their supporters like candy corn and Lesh saying we need to remove Vladimir Putin from Russia. But they don’t take into account the next guy up could actually be much worse.

Candy corn Lesh , You have nothing but personal attacks toward people. You are hypocrites ..get God in your life get on the right side of history. Stop being warmongers.

We learn from the mistakes in Iraq but people like candy corn and lesh don’t care about humanity. They are acting like babies in this thread they actually don’t have any legitimate responses to key points being made other than calling people “Trump Magas “

She'd be a huge Zelensky simp.

"YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND YOU GUYS! TRUMP IS A RUSSIAN ASSET!!!!! HE'S RACIST!!!!! HE'S THE KKK TIMES A THOUSAND!!! I AM CRYING HERE!!!"

Just sayin'.
Geez...talk about triggered.

People like me and practically most of the Americans in the thread are saying we disagreed with the invasion of Iraq. Saddam Hussein was not perfect he had his issues and so did Iraq but there was no point in the US getting involved there. Iraq is all the worse off after 2003. Now you have these crazy warmongers like Lindsey Graham and their supporters like candy corn and Leasch saying we need to remove Vladimir Putin from Russia. But they don’t take into account but the next guy up could actually be much worse.

We learn from the mistakes in Iraq but people like candy corn and lash don’t care about humanity. They are acting like babies in this thread they actually don’t have any legitimate responses to key points being made other than calling people “Trump Magas “
What a load of crap.

If you were a Republican back then you supported Bush (as fervently as you now support Trump) and you supported the Iraq invasion.

So much so that anyone who questioned it was called a terrorist

If you were a Republican back then you supported Bush (as fervently as you now support Trump) and you supported the Iraq invasion.

Fact check FALSE.

Nearly all the Republican elites who supported Bush are against Trump, and some of them even work for MSNBC.

See Nicole Wallace.

You see politics as this simplistic little team sport exercise, but the truth is it's far more complex and no one is going to wait for your dumbass to figure that out.

Fact check FALSE.

Nearly all the Republican elites who supported Bush are against Trump, and some of them even work for MSNBC.

See Nicole Wallace.

You see politics as this simplistic little team sport exercise, but the truth is it's far more complex and no one is going to wait for your dumbass to figure that out.
Nicole Wallace is one of the worst in the business a big-time war monger.

let us remember our heroes, including Tyler Prewitt the medic who tried to treat his own wound, and instructed others to try to treat it, before giving his life for freedom, and for America!

Here was an excellent morning discussion on the 20 year anniversary of the United States led invasion of Iraq. All sorts of informative calls from fellow American citizens on the very issue

Viewers commented on a question concerning the 20th anniversary of former President George W. Bush declaring the start of Operation Iraqi Freedom and the start of the seven-year U.S. war in Iraq: “What is the legacy of that war?”

I was just a young kid when this invasion had occurred in March 2003…. operation “shock and awe”

and it was a very interesting thing remembering it I was thinking why is this happening what is the deal with this man Saddam Hussein but more than that what about the proud people of Iraq what about them what about these Arabs what about these proud Arab Christians and Arab Muslims. Is he that’s one thing before 2003 12% of Iraq was Christian now something like 4% of the country is Christian. before 2003 the second in command of Iraq the number to most powerful man was a Catholic Tarik Aziz…. where is the Christian leader ship in Iraq now.? Critics have said that Iraq is very much influenced or even controlled by the Islamic Republic of Iran something that is very ugly it certainly is not good for proud Arab women.

This is one of the last outlet’s of journalistic integrity in America which is Washington journal on C-SPAN. Where American citizens can call into the program and provide their opinion. You just don’t see that on CNN, Fox News or MSNBC.

My thoughts on the 20 year anniversary of the invasion of Iraq and the legacy of the Iraq war is first of all I stand by the United States military and by President George W. Bush. We as Americans we have freedom of speech that folks don’t have that in other countries of the world. But we have that in America at least for now. And I believe in supporting the office of the presidency just like it was during the Vietnam war when you had even Vietnam veterans who disagreed with the war but who fought because they were drafted and because they felt it was their duty.

I go back to the Iraq Iran war. I think that the United States should have supported Iraq more to crush Iran. Iran is a country that forces women to cover their hair has all sorts of sexist laws. They are problematic but they weren’t like that during the days of the shah. obviously we had the Iran contra affair I get this that was only for about four months during the Iran Iraq war and Ronald Reagan issued an apology to the Iraqi people for that episode.

One thing that stands out about this war is that Iraq was all alone…. they had no support from China no support from Russia that would’ve been a game changer if that support had occurred. Iraq did get some support from Arab volunteers across the Arab world but that hails in comparison to $100 billion in international military support for example. The hypocrisy of the international media between now and then is crystal clear.

To the other side of the argument one might say that the world is better off without the Ba’ath party of Iraq. But that is certainly very much debatable…. on the flipside you have ISIL and the terrorism brutality this was probably the worst state in the history of the world ….perhaps second to the third Reich. For a couple of years the Islamic state of Iraq and the Levant were throwing people into fires, they were feeding men to sharks in pools literally, ISIL would put men in a cage three or four of them and then drown them to death in a suburban swimming pool, they would Put men into a car and then blow the car up. They would chainsaw peoples heads off …. they executed Christians in mass…. basically anything you could think of from a violent video game ISIL did…. ISIL even had their own modified version of the video game “ Grandtheft auto“…which word attempt to recruit young gamers over to the cause of ISIL.

Of course after 2003 and also during the initial invasion you had dead Americans you had dead Iraqis. There was anywhere from 300,000 to 1,000,000 dead Iraqis due to the war in Iraq. Not to mention the tens of thousands of American soldiers who were injured…. some of whom suffered horrific spinal cord injuries , neck injuries they had their legs blown off their arms blown off many of these men these brave American soldiers are in wheelchairs for the rest of their lives. They can’t have sex they can’t even use the bathroom on their own piano that is something that words cannot really describe.

But it’s not just ISIL. Here’s a question we as Americans can ask today. What is the purpose of The state of Iraq …. A country which of the United States poured trillions of dollars into and countless American lives over 3200 American lives and again tens of thousands of injured soldiers. So where does Iraq stand today is it actually an ally of the United States? , or is it more so an ally of the Islamic Republic of Iran? which chants of death to America.

Finally what will the future of Iraq be ? will it actually remain a technical ally of the United States or will it become closer toward Iran? I think this is perhaps the most important question. Iraq has quite a bit of natural resources of course much oil.

Well, the reason for invading Iraq was to try and disrupt OPEC
Literally the US went in to protect its own economic interests. It was totally unjustified.
They had as much legitimacy as Putin does invading the Ukraine, NONE.

Yes, Saddam was a bad guy, but the US didn't care that much about Saddam, just what he was sat on top of.

And with Chavez trying to make OPEC a strong body, the US went after it.

The attempted coup against Chavez in 2002, the invasion of Iraq, the invasion of Afghanistan which was a double purpose, 1) to get ibn Laden, 2) to have Iran covered on both sides when they decided to invaded (they haven't had the guts yet), the bombing of Libya, the sanctions against Iran and Venezuela.
The US wants cheaper oil, and wants OPEC to be weaker for that purpose.

Absolute wrong thing to do.

Well, the reason for invading Iraq was to try and disrupt OPEC
Literally the US went in to protect its own economic interests. It was totally unjustified.
They had as much legitimacy as Putin does invading the Ukraine, NONE.

Yes, Saddam was a bad guy, but the US didn't care that much about Saddam, just what he was sat on top of.

And with Chavez trying to make OPEC a strong body, the US went after it.

The attempted coup against Chavez in 2002, the invasion of Iraq, the invasion of Afghanistan which was a double purpose, 1) to get ibn Laden, 2) to have Iran covered on both sides when they decided to invaded (they haven't had the guts yet), the bombing of Libya, the sanctions against Iran and Venezuela.
The US wants cheaper oil, and wants OPEC to be weaker for that purpose.

Absolute wrong thing to do.
I pretty much agree with what you’re saying. I would only make an addition. You see for all the faults that Saddam Hussein had in the Iraqi government had they had women in the workforce, they had Christians and Muslims being friends with each other marrying each other. And then after 2003 all hell broke loose and people started killing each other because of religious differences. Now we need to learn from that mistake and not apply the same stupid neo conservative mentality to the Russia Ukraine situation.

Right now Joe Biden and his neo conservative friends are applying a very bad logic to the Russia Ukraine situation. We need to learn from history my friend

Saddam had to go.

It APPEARS that Saddam intentionally created and maintained the illusion that he had vast caches of WMD's, in order to frighten Iran so that they wouldn't invade and overwhelm Iraq militarily. It never even occurred to Bush and our crew that he could do something so tremendously stupid, so we believed his deception. And that was the basic reason for the invasion.

"We" failed to recognize that other cultures are not like us. In our minds, we were going in to modernize Iraq and bring it into the 21st century, culturally, technologically, and legally. But they did not share our vision. Hence, the mission was an utter failure. We spent incalculable money trying to save them from themselves. Totally wasted.

This was the Media's first major conspiratorial lie. They told "us" that Bush lied about WMD's. They knew this was false, but it remains the prevailing belief. Now we know that the Media are corrupt, and don't trust them about most major stories.

Seems more like the CIA wanted any old excuse, they knew there weren't WMDs but they convinced Congress it was so.
The US didn't spend any money trying to save them from themselves, they spent the money trying to make oil cheaper.

I pretty much agree with what you’re saying. I would only make an addition. You see for all the faults that Saddam Hussein had in the Iraqi government had they had women in the workforce, they had Christians and Muslims being friends with each other marrying each other. And then after 2003 all hell broke loose and people started killing each other because of religious differences. Now we need to learn from that mistake and not apply the same stupid neo conservative mentality to the Russia Ukraine situation.

Right now Joe Biden and his neo conservative friends are applying a very bad logic to the Russia Ukraine situation. We need to learn from history my friend

Well, the Ukraine/Russia affair is a Slavic/Orthodox religion issue.
The Ukraine has always been a mixed country Russian/Ukrainian parts of the country (by always I mean, since the Soviet Union).
Like Iraq, the "logic" was there, but you had to see it for what it was. It "worked", OPEC was destroyed and still is, oil prices are lower than they would have been.
The Ukraine is simply about stopping Russian progress. Why the US didn't do anything about it in 2014 is beyond me.
Obama bombed the hell out of Libya, didn't care, maybe he was afraid of crazy Putin.

He voted for the 2003 invasion of Iraq you imbecile.

I mean, I know all of us get to be Senators who make decisions about literal war and peace - but that detail should stand out for you at least a little bit.

Now: It may only be Baltic Avenue - but you landed on my spot, and there's a hotel. So pay up.

Then go directly to jail without passing Go.
so he voted for the war in an environment when the Republicans made it a political liability to not be 100% all in on the war.

Were you even alive then?? The republicans pushed that war, you seem to have forgotten that.

Bush and the GOP are 99.9% responsible and Biden gets .1% of the blame
Voting for an invasion is substantially different then:
Pounding the table to go to war and pushing for war in Iraq, then starting war in Iraq, and then totally fucking up the war in Iraq and the entire mid east.

Bush and the GOP did that.
Trump's best buddy Putin started this war.

You seek to have serious issues with responsibility in life.

You stupid uneducated inbred Moon Bat.

Biden was VP when the US bombed Libya that was no security threat to the US.

Biden was VP in an administration that escalated the war in Iraq.

Biden was VP in an administration that allowed our embassy in Benghazi to be overrun and then lied to the American people about it.

Biden voted to fund the invasion of Iraq..

Biden fucked up the withdrawal from Iraq, big time.

You stupid Moon Bats don't know any more about History than you know about Economics, Biology, Climate Science, Ethics or the Constitution.
I repeat
Biden didn't start any wars.

Thanks for playing

Forum List

Back