The $15 Minimum Wage Is Turning Hard Workers Into Black Market Lawbreakers

McRocket

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2018

I have mixed feelings on $15 minimum wage.

On the one hand, obviously it greatly helps the standard of living for those who get the huge wage increase.

On the other, a 100+% increase in pay with a zero increase in production is not good for business. Plus, the extra costs will be passed on to the customers.
Finally, the non-partisan CBO has stated that a higher minimum wage will cost many 100's of thousands of jobs nationwide. And that was only to $10.10 per hour.

The Effects of a Minimum-Wage Increase on Employment and Family Income | Congressional Budget Office

If the Dems take both houses in November (and especially if they also take the WH in 2020 - which the polls say looks likely right now)...this issue will probably re-surface in force.

Thoughts?

On the one hand, obviously it greatly helps the standard of living for those who get the huge wage increase.

On the other, a 100+% increase in pay with a zero increase in production is not good for business. Plus, the extra costs will be passed on to the customers.
Finally, the non-partisan CBO has stated that a higher minimum wage will cost many 100's of thousands of jobs nationwide. And that was only to $10.10 per hour.

The Effects of a Minimum-Wage Increase on Employment and Family Income | Congressional Budget Office

If the Dems take both houses in November (and especially if they also take the WH in 2020 - which the polls say looks likely right now)...this issue will probably re-surface in force.

Thoughts?

So there is absolutely no concept that perhaps the workers were originally underpaid?

Is $15/hr really that much money to you? That's only $2,400 a month.

Thoughts?

Society is out of kilter. A higher minimum wage means that government will pay less in corporate welfare but the downside i that prices might go up. Of course business will try and mitigate this by charging less and taking a smaller profit.

In the UK we were told that a minimum wage would lead to unemployment. We now have record employment. The extra money paid to employees goes straight back into the economy and that creates jobs. Trickle down is bollocks. A fraud that the rich perpetrate on the poor.

• Banned

Thoughts?

So there is absolutely no concept that perhaps the workers were originally underpaid?

Nope. But a 100+% increase in wages for a zero increase in production is. Plus, the probably 1,000,000+ jobs lost (according to the CBO).

Thoughts?

Nope. But a 100+% increase in wages for a zero increase in production is. Plus, the probably 1,000,000+ jobs lost (according to the CBO).

What happens at Amazon will be informative with their raises.

Thoughts?

15 dollars and hour, if one is working full time (40 hours a week) which is 2080 hours a year, is $31,200 a year.

Thoughts?

Yes thank goodness for the polls in 2016... if it wasn't for the polls we all know that Trump would be president right now instead of Hillary. Can you imagine if the polls were wrong and Trump actually became the president?

The minimum wage subject is a difficult
one especially for anyone who works hourly
For a living.

It's probably impossible to quantify with any measure of accuracy the exact capabilities of the American economy. Suffice it to say that even the American economy has finite limits.

Sometimes the only way to find out is to try something and see how it works on the measure of what is present.

It would seem to make some sense however that if you decrease productivity per dollar you're going to stifle the ability of the employers and producers to create more jobs. Additionally you will create a smaller pool of qualified employees leaving the others to languish on unemployment.

Jo

Last edited:
The U.S. Census Bureau reported in September 2017 that real median household income was $59,039 in 2016, exceeding any previous year.
Household income in the United States - Wikipedia

-----------------------------------------------------

The problem is 1/2 make under that, so we need to subsidize their income.

10 bucks an hour is 20, 800. They will need food stamps and a housing subsidize. I agree with Tommy T, trickle down does not work, never has and never will, Greed at the top makes sure of that.

Thoughts?

Yes thank goodness for the polls in 2016... if it wasn't for the polls we all know that Trump would be president right now instead of Hillary. Can you imagine if the polls were wrong and Trump actually became the president?

The minimum wage subject is a difficult
one especially for anyone who works hourly
For a living.

It's probably impossible to quantify with any measure of accuracy the exact capabilities of the American economy. Suffice it to say that even the American economy has finite limits.

Sometimes the only way to find out is to try something and see how it works on the measure of what is present.

It would seem to make some sense however that if you decrease productivity per dollar you're going to stifle the ability of the employers and producers to create more jobs. Additionally you will create a smaller pool of qualified employees leaving the others to languish on unemployment.

Jo

They just got a huge tax cut, but I know most never paid more than 12% or about that in taxes, now its probably even lower.

Trump and the GOP are trying their best to make this a slave country, and I'm talking a white, black and a hispanic slave country.

`
The company I work for has a part-time temp agency which pays higher wages than most other similar agencies, competing in the semi-skilled market. We've crunched our numbers and found a mandatory $15/hr wage would cut so far into our profit margin that we could no longer afford to keep it going, ergo, we would completely close that operation.

Generally, I oppose a $15/hr wage. Considering what I see at most places which employ people at lower wages, its a joke.
`

`
The company I work for has a part-time temp agency which pays higher wages than most other similar agencies, competing in the semi-skilled market. We've crunched our numbers and found a mandatory $15/hr wage would cut so far into our profit margin that we could no longer afford to keep it going, ergo, we would completely close that operation.

Generally, I oppose a $15/hr wage. Considering what I see at most places which employ people at lower wages, its a joke.
`

Maybe your company is top heavy, maybe you make too much.

The age of entitlement: how wealth breeds narcissism | Anne Manne
A majority of Republicans in a recent poll said they thought the poor in America had it easy. Greater feelings of entitlement might also lead to a tax revolt by the upper classes. It is the logic of "I’ve earned it", "It’s mine", and, "Why should I have to use my hard-earned cash for those inferior scroungers, the poor?"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I could not help but to feel how Kavanaugh felt so entitled and bragged about how great he was, not only was he born into wealth but was an only child.

Just like West at the OO yesterday, rambling on about nothing.

Last edited:
`
The owner doesn't think so. Still, our temp agency is not our main source of revenue. The temps have always been more of an afterthought. All I know is that I occasionally shop at WalMart and some of their staff is less than useless.

`
The owner doesn't think so. Still, our temp agency is not our main source of revenue. The temps have always been more of an afterthought. All I know is that I occasionally shop at WalMart and some of their staff is less than useless.

Walmart is known for mediocre wages and no benefits. Since you are smarter than them, perhaps you should think on your own and read the signs, perhaps you should check yourself out.

Walmart is known for mediocre wages and no benefits. Since you are smarter than them, perhaps you should think on your own and read the signs, perhaps you should check yourself out.
`
Typical walmart - Where are your flashlights? a) I dunno, b) points in a general direction, c) I think it's in isle 24, d) ask someone in hardware (no one there).

Corporatism is the enemy. Not republicans or democrats in Washington...they are all corporatist.
Our government is wholly corrupt by big business interest, the central banks and the investment class. PERIOD.
During the Obama years the nation saw the fastest and largest wealth concentration in our nations history. It was not just good to be rich under Obama, it was fucking fantastic. His administration continues to hand out $70 BILLION - PER MONTH to the wealthiest companies in the world AT A TIME they were making record profits. You should ask yourself. Why did he do that?
Forget the politics. It's not about left vs. right. It is about US and THEM.

divide.jpg

`
Typical walmart - Where are your flashlights? a) I dunno, b) points in a general direction, c) I think it's in isle 24, d) ask someone in hardware (no one there).

Perhaps the first person was new, and the person who worked in hardware was helping someone else or they on break or lunch, or possibly they had didn't have one. I do not mean to be rude, but when and if I could find a person, in Target or Meijers they have always been helpful, if I could find a person. Sams is the same way, very few people and they work so very hard.

Perhaps the first person was new, and the person who worked in hardware was helping someone else or they on break or lunch, or possibly they had didn't have one. I do not mean to be rude, but when and if I could find a person, in Target or Meijers they have always been helpful, if I could find a person. Sams is the same way, very few people and they work so very hard.
`
That's just the tip of the iceberg. I haven't even gotten to fast food workers, but my point is, I'm against a $15 /hr minimum wage.

Thoughts?

Look, Rocket, I realize you're an argumentative sort of bot, but I agree with you in so far as indeed the minimum living wage issue is a difficult social conundrum. However, low wage workers in America, and I mean no low wage worker in America anywhere in the U.S. of A. is or has to be stuck in said low wage job. See, the very concept of class mobility is lost to the ideological ears and minds of the Marxist based postmodernist radical American Left. So here's a little story for you, based on personal experience, so regrettably, you all can't Google it up. Just hear me out before switching your operating modes to cantankerous 2000 annoying, okay?

A female relative of mine born in the early 1960's started working at age fifteen for a local, ma and pa Chinese restaurant for next to nothing wages. She also worked in a ceramic statue shop as a cashier and as a clerk in a book store—all while she was in high school. She graduated high school, enlisted in the US Army and became a Russian Translator for military intelligence, ultimately being stationed on the Berlin Wall nearly forty years ago.

So she did eight years with the Army, got out and went to work as a shift manager for a KFC. Crazy change in professions, am I right? While working fast food she met her future husband on the job. Together, their combined income amounted to jack not much. So did she and her fiancé and then husband shortly after spin their wheels whining about living wage raises and how they were stuck in there dead end jobs for life? NO.

After a couple of years of fast food work, both of them, now husband and wife, got jobs with a major cosmetics manufacturer on the mid-Atlantic seaboard. While working there, he rose up the ranks in the warehouse to end up managing it and learned to write BASIC programs to run the shipping process. She also rose up to become a production lead. After five years of service, the cosmetics company awarded them both huge, nearly six figure profit sharing checks each.

So the mostly happy couple moved on to a warm, sunny subtropical location to the south, purchased their own home and put each other through college. Him for computer programming, her for business management. Oh yeah, somewhere along the way they had a son and later a daughter.

Where did they end up? He is now the head programmer for the entire chain of a nationwide grocery store. She is a district manager for said same grocery store chain. They purchased another house—and one for their daughter—with cash! They put both their kids through college. Their son now works as a programmer for a company in Hong Kong—yes the little guy lives between there, New Zealand and Indonesia. The daughter started of all things a successful pool business. The parents regularly travel to South and Central America and the far west Pacific.

My point is, is that no American from any walk of life is stuck in a low paying job. Upward movement through the classes does and should always depend on the individual American's desire for a financially better life, and their own personal responsibility to make that happen. Any American out there can move up the financial income ladder, pretty much as far as their will and efforts to do so will take them.

For Leftist ideology, class upward mobility is a great threat. See, on the Left, ideological reign depends on a victim class of workers stuck for life in oppressive, low pay work which keeps them in poverty, all so that both the middle class and upper class can be demonized and ultimately attacked and destroyed.

Personal responsibility and effort. Keys to the American social class mobility kingdom. Live it, and love it.

Last edited:
`
That's just the tip of the iceberg. I haven't even gotten to fast food workers, but my point is, I'm against a $15 /hr minimum wage.

Why are you against it?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back