Thanksgiving and Covid. Will you require family and guests to be vaccinated if they want to come to your house?

DigitalDrifter

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2013
Oregon
I have a feeling this is going to divide some families.
There will be some family gatherings that it will be just like any other Thanksgivings.
But there will be some families where, this being the first Thanksgiving since we have a vax, that will divide families. There will be some hurt feelings, if you host a gathering and require all those who plan to come be vaxxed.

The Big Question This Thanksgiving: Are You Vaccinated?​

For the first time in two years, Tim Wyatt is hosting a Thanksgiving feast at his home in Birmingham, Alabama. Along with the traditional turkey, Wyatt will spend days preparing his slow-roasted pork shoulder with Alabama white sauce. His wife, Nancy Wyatt, will cook all of her enticing side dishes, like sour cream minimuffins and sweet potato casserole with sage butter.

Everyone from their extended family is invited. But Tim Wyatt has made a request: If you want to come by and eat his signature fall-off-the-bone pork, you have to be vaccinated against the coronavirus.

“I felt responsible for myself, my wife and anybody else visiting my house that day,” said Wyatt, 72, who expects at least 15 guests.

Yep. However my family have all been vaccinated and are healthy; however our grandsons (3 & 5) haven't yet been vaccinated, though the five year old will be getting his vaccination at Kaiser next week. My wife and I have taken Pfizer's first two shots in Feb & March, and we both got booster shots for both Covid and the Flu two weeks ago.

Think about this for a moment.
You're the host, you are the one who is inviting people to come together, you are the one who risks causing a spread amongst family and friends.
How will you feel if one of your family members or guest spread it to someone in your group that is elderly, or immune compromised and their life is now in danger?

Yep. However my family have all been vaccinated and are healthy; however our grandsons (3 & 5) haven't yet been vaccinated, though the five year old will be getting his vaccination at Kaiser next week. My wife and I have taken Pfizer's first two shots in Feb & March, and we both got booster shots for both Covid and the Flu two weeks ago.

I'm glad I'm not hosting, I would hate to be put in that position. I know for sure I have family members and friends who are unvaccinated. I would hate to be the one who brought them together with someone who is a carrier.

I have a feeling this is going to divide some families.
There will be some family gatherings that it will be just like any other Thanksgivings.
But there will be some families where, this being the first Thanksgiving since we have a vax, that will divide families. There will be some hurt feelings, if you host a gathering and require all those who plan to come be vaxxed.

The Big Question This Thanksgiving: Are You Vaccinated?​

No problem: if anyone requires me to answer a personal question, explicitly or implicitly, I just wouldn't go, or reply.

Certainly I wouldn't ask people their vaccination status!! That would be so rude.

Think about this for a moment.
You're the host, you are the one who is inviting people to come together, you are the one who risks causing a spread amongst family and friends.
How will you feel if one of your family members or guest spread it to someone in your group that is elderly, or immune compromised and their life is now in danger?
In truth, this is not a good year to be doing holiday get-togethers. I think I'm going to have to at Christmas, but I wish I weren't faced with it.

It won't do any good, besides being incredibly intrusive and rude, to pry into people's vaccination status, because the virus is spreading despite vaccinations, TO vaccinated people and FROM vaccinated people. These people saying they are going to grill everyone along with their BBQ, given that it plainly doesn't matter at all in terms of spread, you know, why be so obnoxious? The way to cope is not to invite people over or go to parties in general. It's just not the time to pretend things are normal.

American attitudes are changing as they begin to understand that to support Trump's politics is to be hoodwinked into taking more chances with Covid.

Instead of then being rational by submitting to the obvious need to be responsible, Trump's devotees will stay home and turn to pulling the wings off of their housefly collections.

This madness must eventually come to an end!

Gonna be with the whole family. NOT ONE VAXXED and we plan to keep it that way. Last year friends came in and the vaccine was not even a topic of conversation. We had a great time and we WILL> HAVE A GREAT TIME THIS YEAR TOO....travelling.

American attitudes are changing as they begin to understand that to support Trump's politics is to be hoodwinked into taking more chances with Covid.

Instead of then being rational by submitting to the obvious need to be responsible, Trump's devotees will stay home and turn to pulling the wings off of their housefly collections.

Eliminating leftists is a good step toward that! Thanks.

I could care less if anybody is vaccinated.

However, we will ridicule anybody that shows up wearing one of these stupid face diapers.

No it isn't. They are slowly being worn down by the Architects of Fear.

I'm having a hard time figuring out the argument. If you are vaccinated are you still afraid you might be infected by unvaccinated family members or on the other hand are you afraid vaccinated people might infect unvaccinated family members?
Both.

All of the above.

If people are that scared, better just avoid the holidays.

Forum List

Back