Thanks To Congressional Incompetence, Saturday Mail Delivery Is History

TruthOut10

Dec 3, 2012
The U.S. Postal Service announced on Wednesday that it will discontinue first class Saturday mail delivery, marking another milestone in the decline of the once-ubiquitous government service. But it isn’t a switch to online mail that’s causing the postal demise — it’s Congress.

Under the Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act, Congress has for years forced the USPS to pre-fund 75 years’ worth of pensions for its employees, a requirement not made of any other public or private institution. That means that the Postal Service is footing the bill for employees it hasn’t even hired yet.

The USPS doesn’t actually receive money from the government, but still needs Congressional approval to make any changes to its structure. An analysis in July showed that the USPS, without its pension requirement, would have a $1.5 billion surplus.

Thanks To Congressional Incompetence, Saturday Mail Delivery Is History | ThinkProgress

standard.jpg

Before long, only private institutions will conduct this service. Good riddence, USPS!!

The more private sector, the better. Public works are wasteful and inefficient.

Before long, only private institutions will conduct this service. Good riddence, USPS!!

I guess you don't know the Constitution after all, but be the first to call yourself a fooking patriot. What a joke...

I guess you don't know the Constitution after all, but be the first to call yourself a fooking patriot. What a joke...
The constitution empowers congress to form a post office, it does not mandate it.

I rest my case about the current crop of lefties on the forum. Cut and paste and post a Soros opinion and never mind the truth. The fact that the senate hasn't offered a budget in years and the president is behind on his budgetary responsibilities seems to be ignored by the left wing propaganda source known as "think-progress". The fact of the matter is that congress has been left out of the decision which is typical of the Hussein administration these days. It seems that the courts will have to determine if the USPS has the right to determine it's own work schedule. I would suggest that Postal workers be required to work the same schedule as most Americans and open the freaking offices for work on MLK day and Haloween and Valentines day.

I don't see what the big deal is. Why do you need to get mail on Saturday? All my bills are paid through my bank by computer. My pay is deposited automatically through computer banking. If I need cash, I have a debit card. All my personal 'mail' comes to me through email. The only thing left is packages and junk mail. I can definitely live without the junk mail, and the post office is going to continue to deliver packages on Saturday. Why all the fuss?

Last edited:

Yea, it's funny the right wingers are so up in arms about this. Blaming it on democrats and the president. Shouldn't they be po'd because the government is involved with the post office at all?

I agree that postal service in the US should be handed over to the private sector. Keep government out of our business!! lol

Private companies who need to make a profit will do a better job.

Forum List

Back