Texas Officials Illuminate Crosses After Atheists’ Call for Removal

Yes, because it's a religion, that's widely practiced in America, just like Christianity.

Which is what this thread is about.

But you're too dumb to understand this.

I have no problemo with the muslims. I recognize they are officially required to hate me, but I don't think its really in their hearts. I've bought incense and final call newspapers from them, and never really got bad vibes from them.

However, America is a Christian country. No doubt about it. Christopher Columbus planted the cross on American soil claiming the continents for Christ. A fresco depicting Christopher Columbus planting the cross in the New World.

But Columbus did not have the right to do squat.

The U.S. is not a "Christian country."

Indeed, but it is overwhelmingly a nation of Christians.

Of those who identify as Christians, there is a very wide variety of beliefs and practices. In 2016, did you choose a non-observant Presbyterian over a fairly active Methodist? You can't just say "Christian" anymore. There are too many variations.

Maybe you can't.

There have been variations throughout the history of Christianity, yet they all call themselves Christian, and are recorded as such.

Frankly, it's not your call to make.

What is wrong with wanting to end the confusion? Why is this so horrible? It's all "Christian this" and "Christian that" nowadays, and you can't tell the players without a scorecard.

We already do. That terrorist in Minnesota wears Muslim garb with the specific intent of reflecting her commitment to Islam while representing the people of her district to the US Congress.
You tell her to remove it while she’s on the clock.

Members of Congress are government buildings, are they? :lol:
Yes. In their official representation.

As representatives they are government buildings. :rofl:

So Mitch McConnell is a government building?

This thread is getting amusing. The right-wingers are arguing both for and against religious expression in government buildings, sometimes in the same paragraph.I take it that the Sargeant at Arms is supposed to collect all religious regalia before allowing a member of Congress to enter, hijabs go in one drawer, yarmulkes in another, the cross necklaces in another, along with the lapel pins. Sheesh.

This thread is about the appropriateness of a permanent installation of a sectarian religious symbol on a government building, not wearing apparel.

It seems that, according to RoshawnMarkwees, McConnell IS a government building. All our representatives are, apparently. :lol:

Actually saying that representatives are government buildings is a new one for me, but I can't get over how funny it is! :D

I hope that they all have restrooms available.:10:

I have no problemo with the muslims. I recognize they are officially required to hate me, but I don't think its really in their hearts. I've bought incense and final call newspapers from them, and never really got bad vibes from them.

However, America is a Christian country. No doubt about it. Christopher Columbus planted the cross on American soil claiming the continents for Christ. A fresco depicting Christopher Columbus planting the cross in the New World.

But Columbus did not have the right to do squat.

The U.S. is not a "Christian country."

Indeed, but it is overwhelmingly a nation of Christians.

Of those who identify as Christians, there is a very wide variety of beliefs and practices. In 2016, did you choose a non-observant Presbyterian over a fairly active Methodist? You can't just say "Christian" anymore. There are too many variations.

Maybe you can't.

There have been variations throughout the history of Christianity, yet they all call themselves Christian, and are recorded as such.

Frankly, it's not your call to make.

What is wrong with wanting to end the confusion? Why is this so horrible? It's all "Christian this" and "Christian that" nowadays, and you can't tell the players without a scorecard.

Are you confused?

Thank you!!

I don't want the radical religious far right Christians, commonly going by the moniker, "the religious right" dictating how I follow Christ and worship God.

At this point these people are Pagans as they worship money at the feet of their Trumpenführer.

I wan't no parts of that Satanic cult.

/—-/ No dumbazz. The Constitution puts limits on government not on citizens. So once again, it demands Gubmint stay out of religion not that religion stay out of Gubmint.
Correct, so it limits what government can push to the society.

Can't endorse a specific religion from the State.

This is not Russia or China or ancient Rome...this is America!!!

65008648.jpg

/—-/ No dumbazz. The Constitution puts limits on government not on citizens. So once again, it demands Gubmint stay out of religion not that religion stay out of Gubmint.
Correct, so it limits what government can push to the society.

Can't endorse a specific religion from the State.

This is not Russia or China or ancient Rome...this is America!!!

65008648.jpg
/----/ "This is not Russia or China or ancient Rome...this is America!!!"
Thank you, Captain.
Captain Obvious.jpg

The Constitution states a SEPARATION of church and state.

Where?

Do you want to see Muslim symbols on government buildings as well dumb dumb?

I could care less. I'm not religious and I actually have a life, so I don't have to fill my time getting faux raged over silly things like a cross or a crescent on government buildings.

One of the most bizarre creations of the Godless left wrong is the idea that the First Amendment allows, and in some cases, even requires the censorship and suppression of religious beliefs and symbols; in direct opposition to what the First Amendment actually says.

Just one more datum to demonstrate that LIbEralism is a mental disease.

We already do. That terrorist in Minnesota wears Muslim garb with the specific intent of reflecting her commitment to Islam while representing the people of her district to the US Congress.

So you are saying that no one can wear religiously-inspired jewelry, lapel pins, or headgear while "on the clock"? What happened to the "religious freedom" thing?
I didn’t say she couldn’t. I pointed out the parallel to those who think that’s ok but a Christian display isn’t. See?

One of the most bizarre creations of the Godless left wrong is the idea that the First Amendment allows, and in some cases, even requires the censorship and suppression of religious beliefs and symbols; in direct opposition to what the First Amendment actually says.

"Do you want to see Muslim symbols on government buildings?" was the question.

Now you look like the retard that you are.
Talk about retarded! You didn’t even understand my post enough to respond accurately.

GOD BLESS TEXAS!!!!! It matters who we elect...Nice job Texas! More people should fight back - take a stand - like that

San-Jacinto-County-Courthouse-with-Cross-Illuminated-640x480.jpg

COLDSPRING, TX – Elected officials in an East Texas community defiantly illuminated the crosses on their courthouse after an atheist organization told them to take them down. The move came after the county judge and commissioners voted unanimously to keep the four crosses on the county building.

Breitbart News reported that the Wisconsin-based Freedom From Religion Foundation (FFRF) complained to San Jacinto County public officials about the prominent display of the “Latin cross[es].” The self-described “state/church watchdog” claims it has over 30,000 members.

The foundation issued an “Action Alert” to its supporters on May 7th saying, “A concerned Coldspring resident reported to FFRF that San Jacinto County has the crosses up all year round and even lights the crosses during the holiday season.” The organization that calls itself a “nonprophet nonprofit” asked members to “Tell San Jacinto commissioners to remove courthouse crosses.”

(Excerpt) Read more at breitbart.com ...
Yeah...at last they're fighting back against oppression and marginalisation of Christians!!!

On a completely unrelated note...I really enjoyed my federal Easter holidays this year
So you liked all those pagan symbols......eggs, bunnies, etc.
BLASPHEMER!!!!
Chocolate, eggs and bunnies are all in The Bible!!!!

This thread is getting amusing. The right-wingers are arguing both for and against religious expression in government buildings, sometimes in the same paragraph.I take it that the Sargeant at Arms is supposed to collect all religious regalia before allowing a member of Congress to enter, hijabs go in one drawer, yarmulkes in another, the cross necklaces in another, along with the lapel pins. Sheesh.

This thread is about the appropriateness of a permanent installation of a sectarian religious symbol on a government building, not wearing apparel.

It seems that, according to RoshawnMarkwees, McConnell IS a government building. All our representatives are, apparently. :lol:

Actually saying that representatives are government buildings is a new one for me, but I can't get over how funny it is! :D
They’re representative of the gov. As I already stated.
Your disparagements lack substance.

I hope that they all have restrooms available.:10:
Muslim women do since they squat in the street.

I asked if members of Congress are government buildings. You responded by saying "Yes. In their official representation." ;)

I asked if members of Congress are government buildings. You responded by saying "Yes. In their official representation." ;)
Yep. Like a US soldier represents the US gov. That’s why the uniform is called GI.

So you are saying that no one can wear religiously-inspired jewelry, lapel pins, or headgear while "on the clock"? What happened to the "religious freedom" thing?
I didn’t say she couldn’t. I pointed out the parallel to those who think that’s ok but a Christian display isn’t. See?

You are totally misrepresenting the point, which is that sectarian religious displays should not be on or in public governmental buildings that are used by all, see? This is a very limited concept. People put up religious displays all over the place. You can't deny that. Moreover, people can wear religious regalia in public buildings as long as it goes with them when they leave.

I do not know the motive behind this display. The people behind it have neither been identified nor spoken. This kind of thing is not required in the Christian faith, and this "decorate the courthouse" fad seems to be just some "king of the hill" game, which actually cheapens faith and makes Christians look like disrespectful, arrogant jerks.

But what do you care about Christians of any sort, anyway, given that your nasty crack in post #95 indicates that you do not have a belief system?

A courthouse is supposed to be neutral territory open to all. This display shows the sick mindset of these people in Texas who call themselves "Christians", but apparently have no loyalty to their country. They are trying to trash both the Christian faith and American values at the same time.

This demonstrates what I have long suspected these dirty cults have been up to.

If tolerance means that Christians have to hide their culture and heritage,

then everything said about "tolerance", "diversity" and "Multiculturalism" has been a lie.

Nobody is asking anyone to "hide their culture and heritage." You are greatly exaggerating. And this situation has absolutely nothing to do with tolerance, diversity, and multiculturalism. Just the opposite.

The people who put up this cross did so to be rude. They know the rules. They are abusing a religious symbol. You can have a service on public property, but you have to take everything with you when you leave. We had Easter sunrise service at the village band shell every year when I was growing up, but we left nothing behind. The same applied to other religions.

What is the purpose of this sudden craze among some Christians of "decorating" courthouses, anyhow? They make Christians look like a bunch of jerks.

When you lefties are offended and push against any display of Christian culture or heritage in the public square, which you do,

then you are indeed asking Christians to hide their culture and heritage.

A courthouse is supposed to be neutral territory open to all. This display shows the sick mindset of these people in Texas who call themselves "Christians", but apparently have no loyalty to their country. They are trying to trash both the Christian faith and American values at the same time.

This demonstrates what I have long suspected these dirty cults have been up to.

If tolerance means that Christians have to hide their culture and heritage,

then everything said about "tolerance", "diversity" and "Multiculturalism" has been a lie.

Nobody is asking anyone to "hide their culture and heritage." You are greatly exaggerating. And this situation has absolutely nothing to do with tolerance, diversity, and multiculturalism. Just the opposite.

The people who put up this cross did so to be rude. They know the rules. They are abusing a religious symbol. You can have a service on public property, but you have to take everything with you when you leave. We had Easter sunrise service at the village band shell every year when I was growing up, but we left nothing behind. The same applied to other religions.

What is the purpose of this sudden craze among some Christians of "decorating" courthouses, anyhow? They make Christians look like a bunch of jerks.

When you lefties are offended and push against any display of Christian culture or heritage in the public square, which you do,

then you are indeed asking Christians to hide their culture and heritage.
/—-/ Exactly

Forum List

Back