Texas Dominates The Best Cities For Good Jobs

funny. Stats from Dan Fisher, a conservative writer who left Houston to live in Connecticut.

Yep. Good old texas. The libertarian ideal, or so the cons believe. Lets see:

• In Fiscal Year 2010, there were 78,718 confirmed cases of child abuse and neglect.
• Over 280 children died due to abuse or neglect in 2009.
• 49 percent of children in Texas live in low-income families – families whose household income is twice the federal poverty level – as opposed to 42 percent nationwide.
• 87 percent of children whose parents do not have a high school degree live in low-income families, compared to 30 percent of children whose parents have some college education.
• In Texas, 66 percent of Latino children and 59 percent of black children live in low-income families, compared to 25 percent of white children.
• 48 percent of children in urban areas and 55 percent of children in rural areas live in low-income families.
• The maximum Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) grant for a family of three with no income is $250 per month in Texas, ranking 45th amongst the states.
• In FY 2010, the average monthly benefit for Women, Infant, and Children (WIC) recipients in Texas was $26.86, the lowest in the nation. The national average was $41.52.
• 24 percent of poor children in Texas are uninsured as compared to 17 percent nationwide.

Education

State & Local Expenditures per Pupil in Public Schools – 44th[viii]
State Aid Per Pupil in Average Daily Attendance - 47th [ix]
Scholastic Assessment Test (SAT) Scores - 45th [x]
Percent of Population 25 and Older with a High School Diploma - 50th [xi]
High School Graduation Rate - 43rd [xii]
Percent of Adults with at Least a Bachelor’s Degree - 31st [xiii]
Percentage of Higher Education Enrollment - 9th [xiv]

State of the Child

Birth Rate – 2nd
Percent of Population Under 18 - 2nd [ii]
Percent of Uninsured Children - 1st [iii]
Percent of Children Living in Poverty – 4th [iv]

Health Care

• Percent of Population Uninsured 1st
• Percent of Non-Elderly Uninsured 1st
• Percent of Low Income Population Covered
by Medicaid 49th
• Percent of Population with
Employer-Based Health Insurance 48th
• Total State Government Health Expenditures
as Percent of the Gross State Product 43rd
• Per Capita State Spending on Mental Health 50th
• Per Capita State Spending on Medicaid 49th
• Percent of Population Physically Active 36th
• Health Care Expenditures per Capita 44th

Women’s Issues

• Overall Birth Rate 2nd
• Teenage Birth Rate 7th
• Births to Unmarried Mothers 17th
• Percent of Women with Pre-Term Birth 9th
• Percent of Non-Elderly Women with
Health Insurance 50th
• Percent of Women Who have had a
Dental Visit within the Past Year 45th
• Rate of Women Aged 40+ Who Receive
Mammograms 40th
• Rate of Women Aged 18+ Who Receive
Pap Smears 37th
• Breast Cancer Rate 42nd
• Cervical Cancer Rate 11th
• Percent of Women with High Blood
Pressure 16th
• Family Planning 37th
• Percent of Pregnant Women Receiving
Prenatal Care in First Trimester 50th
• Women’s Voter Registration 45th
• Women’s Voter Turnout 49th
• Percent of Women Living in Poverty 6th

Quality of Life

• Income Inequality Between the Rich and
the Poor 9th
• Income Inequality Between the Rich and
the Middle Class 5th
• Median Household Income 34th
• Home Ownership Rate 44th
• Homeowner’s Insurance Affordability 46th
• Auto Insurance Affordability 24th
• Personal Bankruptcy Filings Rate, Per Capita 39th
• Percent of Households with Internet Access 42nd

Texas. The conservative heaven. Damn, what a state.

Last edited:
My son is planning a move to Austin. It seems like Austin has sucked the life out of Silicon Valley and that's where all the dot com jobs are. The administrative offices are still in California, but the bulk of operations have already left.

My son is planning a move to Austin. It seems like Austin has sucked the life out of Silicon Valley and that's where all the dot com jobs are. The administrative offices are still in California, but the bulk of operations have already left.

Your son will LOVE it here. This city is Amazing with a ton of stuff to do. I've been here just over a year and have fallen in love with it.

Your son will LOVE it here. This city is Amazing with a ton of stuff to do. I've been here just over a year and have fallen in love with it.

The terrain is beautiful, and I adore the weather.

However... I miss grass, and rain.... and snow. :tongue:

This must be the reason why Texas may be flipping to blue in 2016.

It's beautiful here. My patio overlooks nothing but rolling hills and trees. I see Deer back there all the time.

Hopefully this drought will end soon :(

It's beautiful here. My patio overlooks nothing but rolling hills and trees. I see Deer back there all the time.

The city I live in has enacted a no grass policy. So, we aren't as water strapped as other places, the down side being, you have to drive to see grass :tongue:

Oh, my goodness. We got drenched here for the last couple of weeks. Hopefully the rain will catch up to the west where you are.

Oh, my goodness. We got drenched here for the last couple of weeks. Hopefully the rain will catch up to the west where you are.
It's the weirdest thing. No matter how many storms blow through Texas they ALWAYS go around the Austin area. We get maybe some sprinkles but nothing like you are getting. Dallas gets hit hard too but we get nothing. Very frustrating

Lake Travis looks like a watering hole. It's down 40+ Feet!!

It's the weirdest thing. No matter how many storms blow through Texas they ALWAYS go around the Austin area. We get maybe some sprinkles but nothing like you are getting. Dallas gets hit hard too but we get nothing. Very frustrating

Lake Travis looks like a watering hole. It's down 40+ Feet!!
Well, I'll pray hard for Lake Travis to recover so fish and birds will have respite and people can enjoy the recreational aspects they need, too.

I am hearing scolding out back where the great white egrets are playing. Last year they chased 5 flamingos away, and every year they have territorial discussions with the resident great blue heron, who didn't vacate this winter. lolol They're funny, but this year, came prepared with two scouts instead of one. lol

What makes you think Texas is leaving the union? I've not heard any local chatter about anything that remotely resembles what you folks are proffering. It isn't gonna happen. :rolleyes:

I'm a non Texan based in Texas and I fly for a living. When I'm on the road and it comes up in conversation that I live in Texas, it's quite common for a Lib to feel the need to insult me--a total stranger. Very odd behavior (and rude). This usually happens on the West coast or the Northeast. They crack very condescending remarks about Texas secession and Texans. It usually turns out they've never been to Texas or have any idea what it is like. I've lived here 15 years this time. I lived here twice before; once in the 80's and once in the 90's. Never heard a peep about secession. It's funny the things people pick up and run with.

I had a lady from San Francisco tell me she was scared to death of Texas and would never go there. We were sitting in a Montrose, Colorado hotel bar. I thought she was joking and I laughed. She actually shuddered at the thought. She was dead serious. I asked her what scared her about Texas and she couldn't tell me other than "it scared her". One wonders how some people form opinions. And they vote.

And I agree Austin rocks. "The Little Blue Dot in the Big Red State".

What makes you think Texas is leaving the union? I've not heard any local chatter about anything that remotely resembles what you folks are proffering. It isn't gonna happen. :rolleyes:

I'm a non Texan based in Texas and I fly for a living. When I'm on the road and it comes up in conversation that I live in Texas, it's quite common for a Lib to feel the need to insult me--a total stranger. Very odd behavior (and rude). This usually happens on the West coast or the Northeast. They crack very condescending remarks about Texas secession and Texans. It usually turns out they've never been to Texas or have any idea what it is like. I've lived here 15 years this time. I lived here twice before; once in the 80's and once in the 90's. Never heard a peep about secession. It's funny the things people pick up and run with.

I had a lady from San Francisco tell me she was scared to death of Texas and would never go there. We were sitting in a Montrose, Colorado hotel bar. I thought she was joking and I laughed. She actually shuddered at the thought. She was dead serious. I asked her what scared her about Texas and she couldn't tell me other than "it scared her". One wonders how some people form opinions. And they vote.

And I agree Austin rocks. "The Little Blue Dot in the Big Red State".
thanks for your post. You are correct. Austin is not texas. It is so different from Dallas may as well be another state altogether. And blue, as you say.

#3 Austin
The capital of Texas has been expanding at breakneck speed since the mid-1990s and continues to grow, drawing in high-tech jobs from California and increasing employment in government, education and construction.

5-year expected annual job growth rate: 3.2%
Per capita income: $35,222
Unemployment rate: 5.2%

Poor Californication.

I like it there, and feel sorry for the many hardworking Californians that are losing their jobs because their state is so unfiendly to business growth.

Forum List

Back