Texans To Become Lab Rats for "Good Guy with a Gun" Theory

"But private businesses and other establishments have the right to ban open carry under the law, and many have been wrestling with how to proceed."

And this could be problematic, to say the least.

If a biz bans open carry just conceal it. It's hilarious people are next to people carrying all the time and have no clue
OK, Wayne (Lapierre), here's your big chance to prove your theory about good guys with guns in a state more heavily and densely populated than NoDak or Wyoming.

I truly hope the restaurants and establishments serving liquor take it upon themselves to ban open carry guns from their respective establishments.

Texas Gears Up for New Open-Carry Handgun Law
Measure makes the state the most populous to allow the practice

Updated Dec. 26, 2015 11:56 a.m. ET
155 COMMENTS
DALLAS—The owners of Gringo’s Mexican Kitchen are old hands at confronting the typical challenges of a burgeoning restaurant business—hiring, competition, even developing a “gluten guide.” But recently the Tex-Mex chain has been facing an unusual dilemma: whether to allow customers to openly display their guns while munching fajitas.

Come Jan. 1, licensed firearms owners in Texas will be able to openly carry a handgun in most places. A law signed by Republican Gov. Greg Abbott earlier this year will make Texas the most populous state in the U.S. to allow the practice, known as “open carry.”

Existing Texas law requires licensed gun owners to conceal their handguns so they aren’t in plain view. The new law will allow them to carry handguns openly, in belt or shoulder holsters.

But private businesses and other establishments have the right to ban open carry under the law, and many have been wrestling with how to proceed.

“We’re primarily a family environment in terms of our restaurant. And so we decided it’s probably best not to allow open carry,” said Al Flores, counsel for Gringo’s, which has 14 restaurants, mainly in the Houston area and surrounding counties. “We just felt that knowing our customers, allowing someone to walk in openly carrying a weapon, it would make them feel a little uncomfortable.”
This is an open carry state and we have no problems. I don't know of a state where it is a problem. What's with your never ending dire warnings and hysteria?

Read the tag line, and if you are seeing hysteria, then don't even bother to read the rest.
Your posts are filled with shock and awe. But I knew you couldn't answer my challenge.

Since you don't say where you live, you haven't posed one. But I would suggest understanding the exact wording of the law.
It says Washington State under my avatar. That's a clue. You can't back up your idiotic ill informed assertion so I'm the problem?

OK, Wayne (Lapierre), here's your big chance to prove your theory about good guys with guns in a state more heavily and densely populated than NoDak or Wyoming.

I truly hope the restaurants and establishments serving liquor take it upon themselves to ban open carry guns from their respective establishments.

155 COMMENTS
DALLAS—The owners of Gringo’s Mexican Kitchen are old hands at confronting the typical challenges of a burgeoning restaurant business—hiring, competition, even developing a “gluten guide.” But recently the Tex-Mex chain has been facing an unusual dilemma: whether to allow customers to openly display their guns while munching fajitas.

Come Jan. 1, licensed firearms owners in Texas will be able to openly carry a handgun in most places. A law signed by Republican Gov. Greg Abbott earlier this year will make Texas the most populous state in the U.S. to allow the practice, known as “open carry.”

Existing Texas law requires licensed gun owners to conceal their handguns so they aren’t in plain view. The new law will allow them to carry handguns openly, in belt or shoulder holsters.

But private businesses and other establishments have the right to ban open carry under the law, and many have been wrestling with how to proceed.

“We’re primarily a family environment in terms of our restaurant. And so we decided it’s probably best not to allow open carry,” said Al Flores, counsel for Gringo’s, which has 14 restaurants, mainly in the Houston area and surrounding counties. “We just felt that knowing our customers, allowing someone to walk in openly carrying a weapon, it would make them feel a little uncomfortable.”

Good guys with guns have been lowering the crime rate in all of those counties that have shall issue CCW laws. Nevada (the State that I live in) has had open carry laws FOREVER. Guess what the crime rate hasn't skyrocketed.

The stories of a civilian shooting a predator or suspect in the act of committing a crime are few and far between. Very rare. Hen's teeth.

No, they're actually not. You basically have to close your eyes to the reports to believe that particular bit of nonsense.

Why don't you just post a few dozen? My eyes are wide open to all kinds of media: major newspapers, periodicals, radio, television, internet. If these things occurred righties would be posting them on this board every day.

You do realize that most of the time....the gun owner doesn't have to shoot the criminal, they run away or surrender...

Here you go.....these don't make national headlines because no bodies hit the ground...

Burglars call 911 on themselves as homeowner holds them at gunpoint

A pair of men who were breaking into a Woodland, Washington, home Monday night got quite a scare when the owner of the house caught them redhanded.

Bill Lahti was surprised to find his home had been burglarized last week, partly because the home, which belonged to Lahti’s great-grandparents years ago and was handed down to him, isn’t exactly in an easy to get to location. The rural property has been dubbed by the Lahti family as “the hill,” and given the home’s history, Lahti was especially appalled at the break-in.

“I kept coming back periodically to check in,” Lahti told KATU. “So, Monday night, I roll up and there’s their truck backed up to the front door in the yard. (The) door was about – probably – four inches open. I could see the light through there. So, I came out there, jumped out of my truck, kicked the door open and there they were.”

Lahti told the two men to get down on their knees as he held them at gunpoint. He was going to call the police on them, but Lahti couldn’t get his phone to work. With his gun still trained on them, he instructed the crooks to make the call themselves. With few options, the suspects complied.

-----

Concealed Carrier Holds Burglar At Gunpoint With Her FNX .45

CLEVELAND, TENNESSEE — A woman successfully subdued a would-be burglar outside her home using her FNX .45. The suspect, James Jeffrey Dunn, was allegedly trying to break in through her front door late at night. She got her handgun and confronted the burglar, according to WRCB. Once at the doorway, she yelled through the door for him to stay put and not move. Moments later, she confronted him head-on — handgun drawn and ready to go.

via WRCB

“I tried to order him to stay right where he was at and I pointed the gun at him and I came running off the porch and I came within 10 feet of him and he laid the bicycle down and he crumpled on top of the bicycle,” she says.

She held him at gunpoint until Cleveland Police arrived and arrested Dunn, 35, on charges of aggravated burglary, theft, and burglary of a motor vehicle. Police note that Dunn had an arrest sheet tallying over 40 charges — the most recent being only 6 hours prior to his attempted burglary of this concealed carrier.

“We went over this when we got my concealed carry permit, these types of scenarios. But I had already put that gun up and ever taken it out since, you know?” she says. “Maybe to go the range once.”

When we talk about the new generation of concealed carriers, let’s take a good long look at the realities these people are facing: hardened, career criminals unafraid to bust through the door or do damage to private property and persons. It’s a good thing this woman had the proper training she needed and the right equipment.

Lancaster Woman Scares Off Bat-Wielding Attackers By Pulling Gun On Them

LANCASTER, Ohio - It happened along a walking path in Lancaster.

Dinah Burns is licensed to carry a concealed gun, but she'd only recently started taking her weapon while walking her dog.

Based on what happened, it looks like she'll make a point of carrying from now on.

"I think if they'd gotten any closer, I probably would have fired,” said Burns.

It was Monday when Burns was on a footpath near Sanderson Elementary School.

"Two gentlemen came out of the woods, one holding a baseball bat, and said 'You're coming with us'."

The men weren't deterred by Dinah's dog Gracie.

"I said, 'Well, what do you want?,' and as I was saying that I reached in to my pocket and slipped my gun out, slipped the safety off as I pulled it out. As I was doing that the other gentleman came toward me and raised the baseball bat. And, I pointed the gun at them and said, 'I have this and I'm not afraid to use it.'"

The men took off and so far have eluded police. Dinah posted about the incident on Facebook to alert friends and neighbors, to criticism by some.

"Most of the males' opinion was, 'Why didn't you shoot them?'"

Easy to second-guess a decision made under pressure, based on her concealed carry training, and police agree.

"To get out of a situation, back out, get out of it as much as you can without having to discharge your firearm."

"I will say it's a good thing to go from a place of danger to a place of safety, however you get that done,” said Sgt. Matt Chambers, Lancaster Police.

"Very thankful that it turned out the way it did, and hope it doesn't happen again, but I will be prepared."
---------
------------------------

NRA-ILA | Armed homeowner scares off attacker, KTVA, Anchorage, Alaska 11/13/15

A homeowner was in their house in Anchorage, Alaska when they heard a knock at the door. The homeowner retrieved a gun and went to answer the door. Upon opening the door, an intruder pepper-sprayed the homeowner, prompting the homeowner to fire at the criminal. The attacker fled the scene. (KTVA, Anchorage, Alaska 11/13/15)

---------

NRA-ILA | Elderly couple fights off real monsters on Halloween, Helena-Arkansas.com, Helena, Ark. 11/01/15

An elderly couple were at home Halloween night, when the doorbell rang. Prepared to hand out candy to trick-or-treaters, the wife opened the door to find four armed robbers, at least two of whom were armed with guns.

The robbers forced their way inside the home, where the husband was sitting in a recliner. Upon learning of the home invasion, the husband retrieved a gun and fired at the criminals, prompting the home invaders to flee. (Helena-Arkansas.com, Helena, Ark. 11/01/15)

Oh wow....Up to 3 probably real ones and two from the NRA that are probably made up!

Just exercise your 1st amendment rights when some weirdo needs to present a weapon to the public.

"Oh look, its a prepper/dumbass/conservative/weirdo who's dick is the size of a roll of antacids."

And say it loooouuuudddd.

Good guys with guns have been lowering the crime rate in all of those counties that have shall issue CCW laws. Nevada (the State that I live in) has had open carry laws FOREVER. Guess what the crime rate hasn't skyrocketed.

The stories of a civilian shooting a predator or suspect in the act of committing a crime are few and far between. Very rare. Hen's teeth.

No, they're actually not. You basically have to close your eyes to the reports to believe that particular bit of nonsense.

Why don't you just post a few dozen? My eyes are wide open to all kinds of media: major newspapers, periodicals, radio, television, internet. If these things occurred righties would be posting them on this board every day.

You do realize that most of the time....the gun owner doesn't have to shoot the criminal, they run away or surrender...

Here you go.....these don't make national headlines because no bodies hit the ground...

Burglars call 911 on themselves as homeowner holds them at gunpoint

A pair of men who were breaking into a Woodland, Washington, home Monday night got quite a scare when the owner of the house caught them redhanded.

Bill Lahti was surprised to find his home had been burglarized last week, partly because the home, which belonged to Lahti’s great-grandparents years ago and was handed down to him, isn’t exactly in an easy to get to location. The rural property has been dubbed by the Lahti family as “the hill,” and given the home’s history, Lahti was especially appalled at the break-in.

“I kept coming back periodically to check in,” Lahti told KATU. “So, Monday night, I roll up and there’s their truck backed up to the front door in the yard. (The) door was about – probably – four inches open. I could see the light through there. So, I came out there, jumped out of my truck, kicked the door open and there they were.”

Lahti told the two men to get down on their knees as he held them at gunpoint. He was going to call the police on them, but Lahti couldn’t get his phone to work. With his gun still trained on them, he instructed the crooks to make the call themselves. With few options, the suspects complied.

-----

Concealed Carrier Holds Burglar At Gunpoint With Her FNX .45

CLEVELAND, TENNESSEE — A woman successfully subdued a would-be burglar outside her home using her FNX .45. The suspect, James Jeffrey Dunn, was allegedly trying to break in through her front door late at night. She got her handgun and confronted the burglar, according to WRCB. Once at the doorway, she yelled through the door for him to stay put and not move. Moments later, she confronted him head-on — handgun drawn and ready to go.

via WRCB

“I tried to order him to stay right where he was at and I pointed the gun at him and I came running off the porch and I came within 10 feet of him and he laid the bicycle down and he crumpled on top of the bicycle,” she says.

She held him at gunpoint until Cleveland Police arrived and arrested Dunn, 35, on charges of aggravated burglary, theft, and burglary of a motor vehicle. Police note that Dunn had an arrest sheet tallying over 40 charges — the most recent being only 6 hours prior to his attempted burglary of this concealed carrier.

“We went over this when we got my concealed carry permit, these types of scenarios. But I had already put that gun up and ever taken it out since, you know?” she says. “Maybe to go the range once.”

When we talk about the new generation of concealed carriers, let’s take a good long look at the realities these people are facing: hardened, career criminals unafraid to bust through the door or do damage to private property and persons. It’s a good thing this woman had the proper training she needed and the right equipment.

Lancaster Woman Scares Off Bat-Wielding Attackers By Pulling Gun On Them

LANCASTER, Ohio - It happened along a walking path in Lancaster.

Dinah Burns is licensed to carry a concealed gun, but she'd only recently started taking her weapon while walking her dog.

Based on what happened, it looks like she'll make a point of carrying from now on.

"I think if they'd gotten any closer, I probably would have fired,” said Burns.

It was Monday when Burns was on a footpath near Sanderson Elementary School.

"Two gentlemen came out of the woods, one holding a baseball bat, and said 'You're coming with us'."

The men weren't deterred by Dinah's dog Gracie.

"I said, 'Well, what do you want?,' and as I was saying that I reached in to my pocket and slipped my gun out, slipped the safety off as I pulled it out. As I was doing that the other gentleman came toward me and raised the baseball bat. And, I pointed the gun at them and said, 'I have this and I'm not afraid to use it.'"

The men took off and so far have eluded police. Dinah posted about the incident on Facebook to alert friends and neighbors, to criticism by some.

"Most of the males' opinion was, 'Why didn't you shoot them?'"

Easy to second-guess a decision made under pressure, based on her concealed carry training, and police agree.

"To get out of a situation, back out, get out of it as much as you can without having to discharge your firearm."

"I will say it's a good thing to go from a place of danger to a place of safety, however you get that done,” said Sgt. Matt Chambers, Lancaster Police.

"Very thankful that it turned out the way it did, and hope it doesn't happen again, but I will be prepared."
---------
------------------------

NRA-ILA | Armed homeowner scares off attacker, KTVA, Anchorage, Alaska 11/13/15

A homeowner was in their house in Anchorage, Alaska when they heard a knock at the door. The homeowner retrieved a gun and went to answer the door. Upon opening the door, an intruder pepper-sprayed the homeowner, prompting the homeowner to fire at the criminal. The attacker fled the scene. (KTVA, Anchorage, Alaska 11/13/15)

---------

NRA-ILA | Elderly couple fights off real monsters on Halloween, Helena-Arkansas.com, Helena, Ark. 11/01/15

An elderly couple were at home Halloween night, when the doorbell rang. Prepared to hand out candy to trick-or-treaters, the wife opened the door to find four armed robbers, at least two of whom were armed with guns.

The robbers forced their way inside the home, where the husband was sitting in a recliner. Upon learning of the home invasion, the husband retrieved a gun and fired at the criminals, prompting the home invaders to flee. (Helena-Arkansas.com, Helena, Ark. 11/01/15)

Oh wow....Up to 3 probably real ones and two from the NRA that are probably made up!

No, they are all real. Like I said you have to intentionally ignore the video's, the news reports etc. to hold the opinion you have. In other words you have to INTENTIONALLY lie. No biggie, we all know you are a dishonest POS. Here, have some more....

!!WATCH SECURITY GUARD CALMLY SHOOT ARMED INTRUDERS!!

Looks like Virginia is a'changin' its ways. The current laws aren't working out. Sorry, Sparky.
Virginia voted stupidly now must pay the price. It was a political decision, not public safety.
Wah-wah-waaaaaaaaaaah......
Have mom change your dirty diaper. You're getting cranky.

Sorry but you should do a little research before your ass is handed to you. Virginia is just one example of the so-called open carry states. They have severe restrictions and definitions for open carry. But Texas will be different and much more lax, ergo the problem

Just exercise your 1st amendment rights when some weirdo needs to present a weapon to the public.

"Oh look, its a prepper/dumbass/conservative/weirdo who's dick is the size of a roll of antacids."

Yes, please do. It's always nice to know who the bigoted morons are! And that being said, here are more people defending themselves and others...Thanks for the opportunity to present ever more evidence of your profound ignorance and stupidity!

Looks like Virginia is a'changin' its ways. The current laws aren't working out. Sorry, Sparky.
Virginia voted stupidly now must pay the price. It was a political decision, not public safety.

Sorry but you should do a little research before your ass is handed to you. Virginia is just one example of the so-called open carry states. They have severe restrictions and definitions for open carry. But Texas will be different and much more lax, ergo the problem

No, it's you who need to do the research sweetie....

Robbery Goes Wrong Man Gets Shot Close Range After Trying To Rob Corner Store!

Yes, please do. It's always nice to know who the bigoted morons are! And that being said, here are more people defending themselves and others...Thanks for the opportunity to present ever more evidence of your profound ignorance and stupidity!

Hey dopey mcscaredoflife. I don't have a problem with CC and the use of guns to stop bad guys, its the double-chin crowd who feel powerless and carrying a gun in public to faux intimidate people that is sad. These are people that want so bad to be a 'hero' but never will be.

It is no different than a child carrying around a blanket for comfort.

Hey dopey mcscaredoflife. I don't have a problem with CC and the use of guns to stop bad guys, its the double-chin crowd who feel powerless and carrying a gun in public to faux intimidate people that is sad. These are people that want so bad to be a 'hero' but never will be.

It is no different than a child carrying around a blanket for comfort.

No, it's not. It is the same as a responsible person carrying car insurance on the car they drive.

I'm sure a month from now when Texas doesn't erupt into a state-wide OK Corral shoot out, the OP will return to this dopey thread and apologize since it hasn't happened in any other "lab rat" state.

Why is it that the other "lab rat" states that legalized open carry long before Texas haven't seen the Wild West scenario played out? There are more "lab rat" states than non "lab rat" states. Is the OP a "lab rat" for not taking her meds or for taking bad ones?

NA-CF480_TXGUNS_16U_20150417184510.jpg

Texas Set to Approve Open Carry of Handguns

In reality, the OP hopes the streets run red with blood, so h and his ilk have the chance to pass more gun control
The bold of innocents is a small price to pay for their mindless agenda.

How do I research problems that haven't happened yet? Does your crystal ball have a link?

155 COMMENTS

You know...you guys always predicted more violence if you let normal, law abiding gun owners carry their guns....the people who do not commit crimes or use their guns to shoot people....

And every, single, time....you are wrong.....

Texas isn't the first place to do this genius.....they Did it in Virginia...in bars, that serve alcohol...and you nutters said the same freaking things....

And what happened.......violence in bars in Virginia dropped......

Allowing guns into bars has ‘surprising’ result

When Virginia passed a law allowing concealed carry in bars and alcohol-serving restaurants beginning July 1 of last year, opponents of the change decried the dangers of mixing guns and alcohol, for fear violent crimes would escalate.

But one year later, the Richmond Times-Dispatch did a study to see if the gloomy prognostications came true.

According to state police records, not only did gun violence in bars and restaurants not increase under the new law, it decreased by 5.2 percent.

In fact, of the 145 reported crimes with guns that occurred in Virginia bars and restaurants in fiscal 2010-11 (compared to 153 incidents in the year before the new law took effect), only two of the aggravated assault cases were related to concealed-carry permit holders. In one incident, the crime took place at a restaurant that didn’t serve alcohol – thus unrelated to the new law – and in the other, the weapon was neither discharged nor withdrawn from its holster.

“The numbers basically just confirm what we’ve said would happen if the General Assembly changed the law,” Philip Van Cleave, president of the pro-gun Virginia Citizens Defense League, told the Times-Dispatch. “Keep in mind what the other side was saying – that this was going to be a blood bath, that restaurants will be dangerous and people will stop going. But there was nothing to base the fear-mongering on.”

Read more at Allowing guns into bars has ‘surprising’ result

Virginia to void CCW reciprocity agreements with 25 states
Virginia to void CCW reciprocity agreements with 25 states

Effective Feb. 1, 2016, the Commonwealth of Virginia will no longer recognize concealed carry permits from half the states in the country.
The state currently has either agreements or defacto recognition with 30 other states to honor permits issued to individuals. After review by Virginia Attorney General Mark Herring and with agreement with the state police, this number will shrink to just five states as originally reported by the Washington Post.

wrong...they aren't doing this based on a problem...they are doing this based on the fact they elected a clinton minion for Governor and they passed this law because they hate guns...........current laws are actually working, they just don't care.

155 COMMENTS

Do you have a point?
One small restaurant chain has decided to not allow open carry. So fucking what?
What are you going to claim when the Texas open carry law passes and the gun murder rate committed by legal gun owners goes down or doesn't change?
Open Carry doesn't affect normal sane legal gun owners.

Just takes one abnormal, insane legal gun owner in a public place to ruin many, many lives.

I think it's a bad idea, and I know many gun-owning Houstonians who think it's a bad idea, too.

And that insane person would not shoot people if there was no open carry law?

155 COMMENTS

God you're a moron!
Every post to put up affirms that ordinary people in possession of a legal handgun in fact lowers the crime rate!
You are right civilians shooting a predator ARE rare. Why because 99.999% of the time the 'predator' runs away when they have a fucking gun point in their face. The "civilian" didn't need to shoot asshole! Bill Clinton and Bonobo's own stats show that millions of crimes have been prevented by people with a legal gun.
Fucking grow up!

155 COMMENTS

Do you have a point?
One small restaurant chain has decided to not allow open carry. So fucking what?
What are you going to claim when the Texas open carry law passes and the gun murder rate committed by legal gun owners goes down or doesn't change?
Open Carry doesn't affect normal sane legal gun owners.

Just takes one abnormal, insane legal gun owner in a public place to ruin many, many lives.

I think it's a bad idea, and I know many gun-owning Houstonians who think it's a bad idea, too.

Do you understand how dumb your this post is.......the abnormal, insane killer.....is already shooting up places despite the gun free zone laws....the only people who can't carry guns in many public places are the ones not shooting people.........

An abnormal, insane person is going to ruin lives no matter what law you make.......especially if you make a place a gun free zone.....

My post is from the front page of the Wall Street Journal, a very conservative, right wing rag.

Houston is going to be the third largest city in the U.S. within another couple of years, and I am going to be living there myself by the middle of next year. My sig other carries three guns in his vehicle: glove, console and hidden area inside the dash that is accessed by pushing a button over his visor. And he's against open carry after living in Houston all his life. Ergo the WSJ's interest in this topic: Houston already has a high crime rate and everybody there has at least one gun on them.
The ONLY "high crime rate areas are in the inner city shitholes controlled by fuckung gang bangers you stupid bitch.
Take away every illegal gun in those high crime areas and Houston becomes like every other city with no gang bangers. Quite and peaceful.

I agree that law-abiding citizens should be able to carry openly if they so choose, but I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone one would want to.

If a perp walks into a business looking to commit a crime, he'll likely shoot you even before he makes the announcement.
And then the "perp" is shot by the woman in the next isle.
Not much point for a perp to walk into a business with a gun knowing the possibility that a dozen people are carrying unless the perp has decided to commit suicide.

Forum List

Back