Tesla Asked Owners to Limit Charging During Texas "Heat Wave"

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
Texas' power grid doesn't exactly have the best of reputations, especially during inclement weather. Whether it's a snowstorm or an extreme heatwave, the Lone Star State's isolated power infrastructure seems to have a bit of an issue staying afloat when demand for power increases. And now, charging electric cars certainly isn't helping.

The Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) announced last week that six of its power generation facilities went offline following a high demand for power amid a "heat wave". During the outage, the six stations would have produced enough electricity to power more than half a million homes.

Electric automaker Tesla, which is now headquartered in the state, followed up by asking owners of its vehicles to avoid charging their cars during peak hours in order to help prevent a further increase in demand for electricity.

Tesla Asking Owners to Limit Charging During Texas Heatwave Isn’t a Good Sign

tl;dr: Don’t charge your car between 3:00-8:00 PM. Don’t take frequent short trips. But I thought that was sort of the whole point of EVs.

Maybe Tesla should ask for ERCOT to get it's shit together and quit being nothing but a graft machine for Wheel's administration.

Of course that would require the TX wind & solar barons to be put in their place....I don't see that happening.

Hilarious! The leftist shit stains attacking only Musk! No mention of all the other electric vehicles! I wonder why that is? not! Texas hasn't had any blackouts for a while now, more lies.

Kinda funny.......windmills usually don't spin during peak heat season.

Would 'I can't come to work today because I can't charge my car' be an acceptable report off from work?
It will be a good reason to work from home for those that can do that. Zoom stock may go up again.

Wow, this sounds bad. Good thing it rarely gets hot in Texas or this might be a problem.
Welcome to cleaner, greener energy reset coming soon to all locations

Texas' power grid doesn't exactly have the best of reputations, especially during inclement weather. Whether it's a snowstorm or an extreme heatwave, the Lone Star State's isolated power infrastructure seems to have a bit of an issue staying afloat when demand for power increases. And now, charging electric cars certainly isn't helping.

The Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) announced last week that six of its power generation facilities went offline following a high demand for power amid a "heat wave". During the outage, the six stations would have produced enough electricity to power more than half a million homes.

Electric automaker Tesla, which is now headquartered in the state, followed up by asking owners of its vehicles to avoid charging their cars during peak hours in order to help prevent a further increase in demand for electricity.

Tesla Asking Owners to Limit Charging During Texas Heatwave Isn’t a Good Sign

tl;dr: Don’t charge your car between 3:00-8:00 PM. Don’t take frequent short trips. But I thought that was sort of the whole point of EVs.

Maybe Tesla should ask for ERCOT to get it's shit together and quit being nothing but a graft machine for Wheel's administration.

Of course that would require the TX wind & solar barons to be put in their place....I don't see that happening.
We had one blackout two years ago, the only one I ever recall except for a rare storm problem or a blown transformer. How does that give us such a bad rep?

We had one blackout two years ago, the only one I ever recall except for a rare storm problem or a blown transformer. How does that give us such a bad rep?
When your whole state goes black after a 1/2" of ice, you might get a bad rep. Oh wait, the entire state didn't go black, part of south Texas is on the national grid. Just 90% of the state.

I wonder why we haven't seen any of these "concerns" yet?
Saw it several times, recently, on national news. Then there was that pesky little ice storm.
Tesla telling owners to not charge during high heat says worlds about your energy grid capability.

Saw it several times, recently, on national news. Then there was that pesky little ice storm.
Tesla telling owners to not charge during high heat says worlds about your energy grid capability.
So you swallow the national news?

So you swallow the national news?
If your green grid is so fragile that people are being asked not to charge is telling.
Tesla following recommendations from an ERCOT advisory.
If these are current concerns, it is a reflection of the US grid, which probably isn't much better, and it's capacity for EV's in the near term.

New Topics

Forum List

Back