Tennessee governor taunts California after 2 more companies move corporate offices to TN

Glad to see Franklin getting some new industry. Fella there bought the 170A in which I had several hundred hours. He didn't just rebuild it - he restored it! Now I'm tempted to accept his standing offer of a visit and "memor" flight!!

If only we could get more drivers to leave California. Alas...they keep coming.
Illegals....enjoy the crime and poverty!
The downside, of course, is that they have to live in Tennessee.
What's wrong with Tn? Eastern Tn is BEAUTIFUL! Wife and I are gonna go to Nashville for our anniversary MAYBE next year...we have lived there as well...wish we had stayed
Nope...not illegals...unless they are driving BMWs and SUVs.

If the real reason for moving is taxes, why didn't Mitsubishi move to Nevada? Zero is much less than 8% or 6%.

If you had spent 4 minutes thinking about it -- you could have answered that yourself.. First of all, state income tax in Tenn IS ZERO... There is a "Hall tax" that taxes non-retirement investment income that's not tax deferred, but it's effect is minimal for most..

The reason why not Nevada is that I don't think Mitsubishi sees the synergy of having a North America HQs in Las Vegas or Reno... Doesn't LOOK good on the letterhead.

And Pahrumph has too whore houses to be savory.. You're correct that there is SYNERGY since TN has stolen so much auto manufacturing from other states. And the bulk of it is in Middle TN or Chattanooga.. That DOES play a part here because the skill sets for auto Hqs operations is readily available.

There are two reasons:

1) Dirt cheap labor.

2) The proximity of Renault–Nissan–Mitsubishi Alliance.

These are executive, accounting, engineering, sales jobs for an HQ.. NOT manufacturing or semi-skilled.. And they are NOT "dirt cheap" salaries.. Like I said, in the areas where the big companies have located the average community income is around $130K.. But it's STILL cheaper than Cali by far for the same quality of labor (maybe better) and their employees can afford 3 times the home at half or less of the price as in Cali...

Indeed their employees CANNOT FIND communities and home situations like these ANYWHERE in Cali that they could afford EVEN with the Cali salaries... Once they SEE the schools and the communities, there's no problem with maybe a SLIGHTLY lower salary...

And the good thing is -- with all the new Japanese/Korea execs moving in -- we can get QUALITY shushi, sashimi, korean BBQ like nowhere else in the USA... :113:

Not to many people know this but dolly parton invites everyone over to her place once a month for dinner ........ Jesus or big foot is usually the guest of honor to

Dolly's "nashville" hoime is just down the road here.. Rumor is the flag goes up when she's there. But I don't think she's there much.. Family members live in about 5 modest buildings on a beautiful chunk of land..

And I've never gotten the invite... :badgrin: But maybe it's because I drive all my visitors by her place real slowly for pictures... LOL....
Really stop talking it up before my beautiful peaceful heaven on earth is overrun like VA and NC

Really NO one come theyre closed
ITs horrible its all trailer parks and toothless fat people stay where where you are

Please don't turn me in.. I just can't help trying to educate the minions of morons who think I have a still up in the woods (I might !! but it's only for the Fed ethanol subsidy)) or that my Christmas lights stay up all year on the front porch... :beer:

If Dolly doesn't come thru with an invite -- I will...

Last edited:

Tennessee is also 34th in per capita income. They are offering cheap wages in which the workers get very little and the companies make out like bandits.

Look at the job boards manufacturing they make $4~$8 bucks an hour to start over the states minimum wage...more buying power then states with a high minimum wage and more people getting started at the blue states and cities minimum wage.

An exodus in Ca.

As middle-class Californians look for more affordable places to move to, other Western states such as Arizona, Nevada, and Idaho are often their destination. An October 23 report from Bloombergnoted that California’s “punishing housing costs, high taxes, and constant threat of natural disaster have all become too much. [Californians are] making their escape to areas such as Boise, Phoenix, and Reno, Nev.”
n an article last April, we observed that high taxes and regulations also have prompted businesses to leave states such as California, taking thousands of middle-class jobs with them, a trend that we reported on back in 2012. That report quoted economist Mark Perry, who wrote: “The American people and businesses are voting with their feet and their one-way truck rentals to escape California and its forced unionism, high taxes, and high unemployment rate for a better life in low-tax, business-friendly, right-to-work states like Texas.
California Middle Class Disappearing

Tennessee is also 34th in per capita income. They are offering cheap wages in which the workers get very little and the companies make out like bandits.

And once again what's the difference in Tennessee burger basket plate @ $8 bucks (with a minimum wage of $7.25 an hour)

images (15).jpeg

Then Colorado's $12 dollar burger plate (with a minimum wage of $11.10 an hour)

images (15).jpeg

????????

An exodus in Ca.

As middle-class Californians look for more affordable places to move to, other Western states such as Arizona, Nevada, and Idaho are often their destination. An October 23 report from Bloombergnoted that California’s “punishing housing costs, high taxes, and constant threat of natural disaster have all become too much. [Californians are] making their escape to areas such as Boise, Phoenix, and Reno, Nev.”
n an article last April, we observed that high taxes and regulations also have prompted businesses to leave states such as California, taking thousands of middle-class jobs with them, a trend that we reported on back in 2012. That report quoted economist Mark Perry, who wrote: “The American people and businesses are voting with their feet and their one-way truck rentals to escape California and its forced unionism, high taxes, and high unemployment rate for a better life in low-tax, business-friendly, right-to-work states like Texas.

I was just reading today states like Florida are on a big marketing campaign to residents in blue states after Trump capped their deductibles and making them pay their fair share to the feds instead of local governments so city clerks can drive around in BMWs.

I just read the link, can't these liberal politicians figure it out? They are mad they can't hold companies hostage and force them to pay what ever taxes they like.

California Gov. Gavin Newsom told business leaders in San Francisco on Friday that he was tired of executives complaining about other states being cheaper destinations to operate, specifically Tennessee

Yeah, just wait until they try to get the goobers to produce anything.

What a doofus.. Statement from start-up Pilot PR person..,..

San Francisco tech startup Pilot.com is expanding to Nashville
Since 2014, at least eight San Francisco companies have opened Nashville offices: Eventbrite, Google, Lyft, Postmates, Houzz, Wonolo, KeepTruckin and NomNomNow.

Another California-based company, Mitsubishi North America, announced Tuesday that it will move its U.S. administrative headquarters to Franklin.

Jessica McKellar, founder of Pilot.com, said the city's schools and workforce attracted the company.

"The city has great schools, attracts incredible, diverse talent, and is making smart investments to support its burgeoning startup scene," McKellar said. "I also know first-hand that it's a great place to live and raise a family."

Yep.. that's why I checked out of Cali. Could have moved anywhere, but saw the beauty and cost of living differences and nationally ranked public schools and stopped looking.. I've also been active in the Nashville Technology incubation projects in conjunction with Vanderbilt..

I just hope we don't get over-run by the stampede... It was a great secret when I discovered it...

Big mistake.

What's a big mistake? Having 3 times the house for 1/2 the price of your 65 yr old $mill shack in Cali? The nationally ranked schools and well governed cities? Having great entertainment and colleges and outdoor opportunities? And neighbors who care about you and the neighborhood?

:biggrin:

Was just in Tennessee last year, that place is exploding manufacturing wise.

If one can clear 60 grand and no debt one might be able to make a go of it in TN.

The issue is Nashville. Making 60 grand per year you'll be renting or maybe a townhouse.

A house in a good area you'll need a minimum of 75K with gold plated credit.

A house in a great area you'll need a minimum of 120K with gold plated credit.

You can move to Memphis, Knoxville, or Chattanooga, but you'll need Kevlar wall paper.

Tri-cities is good but you'll be hard-pressed to find anyone that knows the definition of IT.

An exodus in Ca.

California is addressing some of that with a raise in the minimum wage.

And once again what's the difference in Tennessee burger basket plate @ $8 bucks (with a minimum wage of $7.25 an hour)

View attachment 266591

View attachment 266591

????????

still about an hour's worth of labor.

View attachment 266591

View attachment 266591

????????

still about an hour's worth of labor.

A person over the border can walk across to Wyoming from Colorado and save $4 bucks (Wyoming minimum wage is $7.25)

Forum List

Back