Tennessee allows Government Officials to refuse to approve marriages they don’t agree with

Probably yes, but some of those shit hole red states will let a 40 year old marry a 12 year old. And, I am willing to bet that there are son crackers in positions of authoritywho would not object. Those some crackers would have a problem with marrying two consenting adults just because they have the same equipment between their legs
Show us the law of a Red state that allows 12 year olds to marry. How many boys of 12 got married?

Officiating does have to do with approval, thus people shouldn't be forced to do what they don't want to.

So they can turn away an interracial couple if you find them “yucky”?

They always seem to be very selective as to which part of the Bible they choose to enforce.

A couple with a child are allowed to marry
Atheists can marry
Some religions ban interfaith or interracial marriages

Yet it only seems to be same sex marriages that offend their religious sensibilities

Because only same sex marriages are a new creation of the past few decades.

So they can turn away an interracial couple if you find them “yucky”?

Why would you want someone like that officiating your marriage?

As I said, clerks can be forced to issue the license, because all they do is take information and record it for the government.

Being an officiant isn't and obligation.

This isnt really that big of a deal but it is still govt discrimination, so I do not agree with it.
The govt has no RIGHT to discriminate against people.
Spoken like an actual conservative Tennessean, non-knee jerk conservative.

Spoken like an actual conservative Tennessean, non-knee jerk conservative.

Being an officiant isn't the same as being the issuing clerk.

Why would anyone want an officiant to solemnize your wedding if they don't believe in your marriage?

Why would anyone want an officiant to solemnize your wedding if they don't believe in your marriage?

Because it is your job

That is not what the law says

It says any marriage you find objectionable.

which SSM is probably the main one.

Look on the bright side, now Gay officiants don't have to solemnize hetero marriages.

Everyone still gets their licenses though.

They can and do, do both here as part of their duties. If interjecting their religious beliefs is into their intended service in that government position, they should not run for it or they must face the issue in the run-up to election day, from now on. This has gone down in other states, as unconstitutional on equal protections as it should.

it's not your job, it's a requested service. I can't force a Hindu Guru to solemnize my Catholic wedding.

No, it is part of your job
If you perform it for one, you must perform it for all

They can and do, do both here as part of their duties. If interjecting their religious beliefs is into their intended service in that government position, they should not run for it or they must face the issue in the run-up to election day, from now on. This has gone down in other states, as unconstitutional on equal protections as it should.

So for one specific optional item they shouldn't run for office or have a government job?

Officiants can't be forced to officiate. the other issues were usually with clerks not wanting to ISSUE licenses.

And I fully support forcing clerks to Issue the licneses.

So for one specific optional item they shouldn't run for office or have a government job?

Officiants can't be forced to officiate. the other issues were usually with clerks not wanting to ISSUE licenses.

And I fully support forcing clerks to Issue the licneses.
Not if they are not prepared to treat all the citizens equally. Doesn't mean they can't just that they shouldn't, as intending to discriminate, is not in the public interests or supported by state or federal constitution.

that government position, they should not run for it or they must face the issue in the run-up to election day, from now on.

That is the key why Government officials can not discriminate.

If a same sex couple goes to a Minister and he turns them down because his religion doesn’t allow it, what options do the couple have?

Go to the Mayor who says he can’t marry same sex couples because it will hurt him at election time.

Go to a Judge who also must face election

Go to a Notary who will lose business if it is found he is marrying Same Sex Couples

Not if they are not prepared to treat all the citizens equally. Doesn't mean they can't just that they shouldn't, as intending to discriminate, is not in the public interests or supported by state or federal constitution.

So they have to give up their religious beliefs entirely?

Sorry, but that doesn't fly. The line is at the clerk. They are just issuing the document, not formalizing or solemnizing it as the officiant is.

What is with the left's need to force everyone to believe and act like they do OR ELSE?

Forum List

Back