Tennessee allows Government Officials to refuse to approve marriages they don’t agree with

No, you don't have to. If that were the case you could force a Catholic Priest to officiate a Hindu wedding or a Same Sex one.

I am not talking about Priests or ministers

I am talking about Government Officials who swear to uphold the Constitution

That is the key why Government officials can not discriminate.

If a same sex couple goes to a Minister and he turns them down because his religion doesn’t allow it, what options do the couple have?

Go to the Mayor who says he can’t marry same sex couples because it will hurt him at election time.

Go to a Judge who also must face election

Go to a Notary who will lose business if it is found he is marrying Same Sex Couples

Go to a friend and have them pay $10 online to become an officiant?

I am not talking about Priests or ministers

I am talking about Government Officials who swear to uphold the Constitution

They are not required to be wedding officiants, they are authorized to be via their office or position.

The biggest joke around is calling Republicans the party of freedom. If there is an anti-freedom party it is the Repubs.

Says the person that wants to force people to officiate and bless a wedding they don't believe in out of pure spite.

If your religious beliefs get in the way of your official government duties, you do

So a person can't be a mayor, governor or any other elected office at all if they don't bend the knee and agree to officiate same sex weddings?

Sounds like a 1st amendment violation to me.

An obvious attempt to deny gays the right to marriage

But it does not limit itself to same sex marriage.

If a couple is interracial, can they be denied marriage?
If the couple has engaged in adultery, can you deny marriage for religious reasons.
If you think the bride is too ugly or too fat, can you deny the marriage because you find it repulsive?

This is why the government shouldn't be involved in marriage AT ALL, but you government cultists keep pushing for it.

That is the key why Government officials can not discriminate.

If a same sex couple goes to a Minister and he turns them down because his religion doesn’t allow it, what options do the couple have?

Go to the Mayor who says he can’t marry same sex couples because it will hurt him at election time.

Go to a Judge who also must face election

Go to a Notary who will lose business if it is found he is marrying Same Sex Couples
They can in my state now, until it is litigated in court. I doubt it would fly in TN Supreme Court.

Your friend can discriminate
A Government official can’t

In their duties as a government officer they can't. They aren't acting under their actual duties in officiating a wedding, it's just an allowable task for some positions.

Says the person that wants to force people to officiate and bless a wedding they don't believe in out of pure spite.
Freedom to Not Bake a Cake or take Wedding photographs or to fly a Confederate or Israeli or don’t tread on me Flag or to put a 2 Cycle outboard on Tahoe or watch “ Song of the South “

So if you oppose same sex marriage you can't run for any government office. got it.

If you oppose interracial marriage the same applies
It is not up to you to decide who can marry

The 14th Amendment is quite clear

Equal protection doesn't mean you get the exact officiant you want if they don't want to do it, same as you don't get the exact cake you want if the baker doesn't want to do it.

The clerk is required to issue the paperwork, that is clear. Being an officiant is an optional role for many government offices.

If you oppose interracial marriage the same applies
It is not up to you to decide who can marry

That's viewpoint discrimination, plain and simple.

That person refusing isn't deciding anything, the license is being issued, they would just have to find an officiant.

Equal protection doesn't mean you get the exact officiant you want if they don't want to do it, same as you don't get the exact cake you want if the baker doesn't want to do it.

The clerk is required to issue the paperwork, that is clear. Being an officiant is an optional role for many government offices.

Yes it does
Equal protection under the law

If you officiate a wedding, you are representing the state

Forum List

Back