Teens More 'Materialistic' Than Younger

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Wow. I wonder how much $$$ was spent on this? Interestingly enough, the teen numbers are really quite good, though not reported as such:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070116/us_nm/life_materialism_dc

eenagers do grow more materialistic: study

Tue Jan 16, 3:46 PM ET

Parents' fears that children become increasingly materialistic and less generous as they hit teenage years appear to be well-founded, according to U.S. research.

A survey by market researcher Harris Interactive found the majority of U.S children were materialistic with 71 percent of people aged between eight and 18 saying they would be happier if they had more money to spend on themselves.

Looking closer at the results, researchers and marketing professors found that teens (13-18 years) consistently scored higher than preteens (8-12) when queried on materialistic attitudes, and that older kids were also less generous.

When broken down by age, more teens (74 percent) than preteens (66 percent) agreed with the statement: "I would be happier if I had more money to buy more things for myself."

sad, but why is this news? It has been like this since the invention of money...adults are the same way.

Again, I don't think it is sad, they are really not all that more materialistic, which is saying alot since so much advertising is aimed at them, not too meniton you know, the world does revolve around them, it's the nature of the age.

New Topics

Forum List

Back