Ted Cruz secures vote on Russian pipeline sanctions in deal with Schumer as Cruz agrees to lift his holds on 32 nominees

We are to sanction two countries for willingly work together? If a country did that to us it would be seen as a call for war. Russian and Germany working together is none of our business.

We are to sanction two countries for willingly work together?

Yes.

If a country did that to us it would be seen as a call for war.

Would we even notice?

We are to sanction two countries for willingly work together?

Yes.

If a country did that to us it would be seen as a call for war.

Would we even notice?

Absolutely. What if other countries got a sanction against selling us computer parts?

Right, we would take it as war.
Naaaaaaaah. Not selling computer parts is not a casus belli. Shooooooo, so far, even big and constant cyberattacks are not considered as a cause for war, but I think sooner or later, they will be. And they are openly malicious.

Naaaaaaaah. Not selling computer parts is not a casus belli. Shooooooo, so far, even big and constant cyberattacks are not considered as a cause for war, but I think sooner or later, they will be. And they are openly malicious.

As is interfering in two countries doing business.

Depends on how the US can make money?
Wanting to make money selling Iraqi oil was enough cause for war last time.

But economic sanctions are not just cause for war, but are illegal according to US law and the Geneva conventions.

Prove it.

The 1906 Hague conventions, now known as the Geneva conventions, made it a war crime to do any economic sanctions on civilian commerce.
The original goal was to prevent starvation siege of walled cities.
But the principle is universal and still applies.
Hindering civilian commerce is and always has been illegal.
The fact we starved out the Germans and the Japanese, does not make it any more legal.
It is still a war crime and immoral.
I could search the Geneva conventions again and find the quotes, but I should not have to.
It should be obvious that blocking civilian commerce always inherently has to be a war crime.

The 1906 Hague conventions, now known as the Geneva conventions, made it a war crime to do any economic sanctions on civilian commerce.
The original goal was to prevent starvation siege of walled cities.
But the principle is universal and still applies.
Hindering civilian commerce is and always has been illegal.
The fact we starved out the Germans and the Japanese, does not make it any more legal.
It is still a war crime and immoral.
I could search the Geneva conventions again and find the quotes, but I should not have to.
It should be obvious that blocking civilian commerce always inherently has to be a war crime.

You just can't quote the section that actually says that.

we'll finally find out who is Putin's friend, and who is his foe

OMG.. 32 morons? How embarrassing.

But economic sanctions are not just cause for war, but are illegal according to US law and the Geneva conventions.

We didn't sell any Iraqi oil. Their production was zilch for decade.

Well -------- not exactly Iraqi oil if you are speaking of the first Iraqi war --- Kuwaiti oil.

I'm okay with that; oil is one of the good reasons to go to war, IMO.

As for what's illegal!! Who cares? Nobody at all. All that matters is whether there is likely to be blowback (poison gas or biowarfare, notably, and until recently, atom bombs. I think we're getting over worrying about fallout, though.). There can't be blowback with economic sanctions, directly, since we have economic power but Russia has none.

I am wondering how Germany will feel about getting its heating oil cut off --- I haven't been following all this closely. I assume there will be invasion of Ukraine, or at least part of it.

Forum List

Back