Tech trade groups file lawsuit against Florida's new social media law

‘"No one, not even someone who has paid a filing fee to run for office, has a First Amendment right to compel a private actor to carry speech on their private property," reads the complaint, which was filed in the US District Court for the Northern District of Florida.’ ibid

Exactly.

But it's Florida.

A state packed with far right judges who in the past twisted themselves and their state constitution into pretzels to rule that lying is free speech.

While I'm going to hope the courts in Florida throw this law out, I'm not going to expect that they would.
Lying is free speech, you fucking moron. Do you really want the government to decide what the truth is?
LOL! You really are a piece of work.

You may believe that lying is free speech, but if that's the way you conduct yourself in life, be prepared to face the consequences.

So, go ahead and lie to your boss at work. Don't be surprised when you're fired. What are you going to do then? Are you going to try to sue your employer on the grounds that your constitutional right to lie was violated. You'd be laughed out of court.

You can lie all you want, but you don't have a right to use the forum of Facebook to spread your lies.

If you think you do, then in your own words, you're a fucking moron!

‘"No one, not even someone who has paid a filing fee to run for office, has a First Amendment right to compel a private actor to carry speech on their private property," reads the complaint, which was filed in the US District Court for the Northern District of Florida.’ ibid

Exactly.

But it's Florida.

A state packed with far right judges who in the past twisted themselves and their state constitution into pretzels to rule that lying is free speech.

While I'm going to hope the courts in Florida throw this law out, I'm not going to expect that they would.
Lying is free speech, you fucking moron. Do you really want the government to decide what the truth is?

You may believe that lying is free speech, but if that's the way you conduct yourself in life, be prepared to face the consequences.

So, go ahead and lie to your boss at work. Don't be surprised when you're fired. What are you going to do then? Are you going to try to sue your employer on the grounds that your constitutional right to lie was violated. You'd be laughed out of court.

You can lie all you want, but you don't have a right to use the forum of Facebook to spread your lies.

Lying is free speech, moron. The Supreme Court has said so a number of time. How I conduct myself is irrelevant.

Lying to your boss is not a free speech issue. You don't have free speech at the office. Furthermore, people lie to their bosses all the time.

Facebook is a government protected monopoly. Certain responsibilitiess come with that privelige, like taking an unbiased approach with moderation.

Would anyone care to chime in as to what you all think will happen with this law? Will it stand up to a court challenge, or will it be ruled unconstitutional?

If you're right, you can use this thread as bragging rights. Of course, the opposite is true, as well.
I’m no lawyer but I suspect it will get tossed out in either the State or Federal courts, it seems a clear violation of property rights.
How so? You could make the same argument about any government regulation. Is being forced to allow homosexuals couples into your hotel a violation of property rights?
Yep. And this law is just as bad.

Exactly.

But it's Florida.

Lying is free speech you fuck

Would anyone care to chime in as to what you all think will happen with this law? Will it stand up to a court challenge, or will it be ruled unconstitutional?

If you're right, you can use this thread as bragging rights. Of course, the opposite is true, as well.
I’m no lawyer but I suspect it will get tossed out in either the State or Federal courts, it seems a clear violation of property rights.
How so? You could make the same argument about any government regulation. Is being forced to allow homosexuals couples into your hotel a violation of property rights?
Yep. And this law is just as bad.
NOT.

Exactly.

But it's Florida.

Lying is free speech, moron. The Supreme Court has said so a number of time. How I conduct myself is irrelevant.

Lying to your boss is not a free speech issue. You don't have free speech at the office. Furthermore, people lie to their bosses all the time.

Facebook is a government protected monopoly. Certain responsibilitiess come with that privelige, like taking an unbiased approach with moderation.
Just because there is no law against lying per se, does not make lying a a protected form of speech, especially when it's clear that the purpose of the lie is to defraud people from having accurate information from which they can make good decisions, some of them potentially life-saving or life-threatening depending on what they're led to believe. The misleading or provably false Covid-19 lies come to mind. If you have a website which has terms and conditions which you don't enforce, you would have to be concerned about not sanctioning (or banning) members who lie and give out false information because you could risk a lawsuit if it looks like you're actually endorsing false information.

As far as bias is concerned, conservatives always claim bias when they're held to account because they want special treatment to do anything they want.

Exactly.

But it's Florida.

Just because there is no law against lying per se, does not make lying a a protected form of speech, especially when it's clear that the purpose of the lie is to defraud people from having accurate information from which they can make good decisions, some of them potentially life-saving or life-threatening depending on what they're led to believe. The misleading or provably false Covid-19 lies come to mind. If you have a website which has terms and conditions which you don't enforce, you would have to be concerned about not sanctioning (or banning) members who lie and give out false information because you could risk a lawsuit if it looks like you're actually endorsing false information.

As far as bias is concerned, conservatives always claim bias when they're held to account because they want special treatment to do anything they want.
The First Amendment makes it protected, you fucking moron.

Haha...Listen to all you shameless fascists champion the suppression of speech.
Look, ALL legit, real, core Americans EXPECT to be able to exercise their freedom to say whatever they want anytime and anywhere they want.
Only you disturbed America hating commies would support bias speech suppression of any kind.
Yes, most conservatives are truly this ignorant and stupid.

Free speech is not being ‘suppressed’; those who oppose this un-Constitutional law are correct to do so.

The doctrine of free speech doesn’t apply to private social media, who are at liberty to edit their content as they see fit.

The First Amendment does protect social media from government excess and overreach, the Florida measure enacted by the authoritarian right being an example; the right to freedom of association allows private social media to exclude from participating whomever they wish, including elected officials.

And one cannot at the same time be a ‘commie’ and a ‘fascist’ – that’s particularly ignorant and idiotic.

Exactly.

But it's Florida.

The First Amendment makes it protected, you fucking moron.
Cite the supreme court cases that you claim have affirmed that lying is protected free speech.

Like I said, this new Florida media law is going nowhere. It follows a long seemingly endless line of conservative nothing burgers cooked up in the twisted minds of desperate conservatives who are so lazy and too ill-prepared regarding real issues to find a legitimate controversy that they feel like they have to make one up instead.

Let's see, there was Joseph McCarthy's claim that communists had infiltrated the State Department. Hell, that communist canard is still being used on this board today. There was the supposed murder of Vince Fosters by the Clintons. Then there was the one that claimed that Obama was a Muslim and not even a real citizen of the U.S. Oh, and let's not forget BENGHAZI. And last, but certainly not least, there's the "claim," sans evidence, that the 2020 election was stolen from Trump through a massive fraud perpetrated by a massive conspiracy. I have to admit that's my favorite one since it's so preposterous and not supported by any evidence ever presented in any court in any state.

Silly Law, don’t break the social media platforms TOS and you won’t get kicked, that applies to everyone. The platform belongs to the company not the public, thus there’s no right to unregulated speech on them.

Don’t like it, don’t use their services.

Like I said, this new Florida media law is going nowhere. It follows a long seemingly endless line of conservative nothing burgers cooked up in the twisted minds of desperate conservatives who are so lazy and too ill-prepared regarding real issues to find a legitimate controversy that they feel like they have to make one up instead.

Let's see, there was Joseph McCarthy's claim that communists had infiltrated the State Department. Hell, that communist canard is still being used on this board today. There was the supposed murder of Vince Fosters by the Clintons. Then there was the one that claimed that Obama was a Muslim and not even a real citizen of the U.S. Oh, and let's not forget BENGHAZI. And last, but certainly not least, there's the "claim," sans evidence, that the 2020 election was stolen from Trump through a massive fraud perpetrated by a massive conspiracy. I have to admit that's my favorite one since it's so preposterous and not supported by any evidence ever presented in any court in any state.

Got big tech doing your political dirty work. Gutless bozos.
So we don't have to follow the TOS here....if we are in Florida, right?

desperate conservatives who are so lazy and too ill-prepared regarding real issues to find a legitimate controversy that they feel like they have to make one up instead.
True.

Or…

Conservatives know the law is un-Constitutional, unenforceable, predicated on a lie, and likely to be invalidated by the courts but it will serve the purpose of pandering to the base, keep the base angry, engaged, focused, and headed to the polls next year.

Silly Law, don’t break the social media platforms TOS and you won’t get kicked, that applies to everyone. The platform belongs to the company not the public, thus there’s no right to unregulated speech on them.

Their TOS are vague and aren't enforced equally, so that's obvious horseshit.

It is their property irregardless of whether that is true or not.

Look at me! I'm going to make big tech do what I want them to do from my little throne in Florida!

Got big tech doing your political dirty work. Gutless bozos.
I didn't file the lawsuit. We'll just have to see if the law is held up in court or if it's thrown out. Constitutional scholars are saying that it's on very shaky legal ground. But DeSantis got to momentarily look like a conservative hero for a while, and that's what it was really all about. Hell, even the public signing on air was phony because he'd already signed the bill earlier. But conservatives clapped like a bunch of trained seals. It was a nice show, but that's all it was.

This is Florida. The state that has courts packed with far right judges, including their Supreme Court, ruled that lying is free speech.

A fox so called news journalist refused to lie on the air. He was fired. He filed a lawsuit and lost with the courts saying lying is free speech.

So I'm going to hope the courts in Florida rule against this stupid law but I'm not going to expect them to do so.

Exactly.

But it's Florida.

Exactly.

But it's Florida.

Won’t matter a whit what Florida does with it. It’s going down probably within next few months.

The law is unconstitutional. It won't stand.
Haha...Listen to all you shameless fascists champion the suppression of speech.
Look, ALL legit, real, core Americans EXPECT to be able to exercise their freedom to say whatever they want anytime and anywhere they want.
Only you disturbed America hating commies would support bias speech suppression of any kind.
If you'd baked that damn cake you'd have a leg.to stand on. A slim, kinda wobbly one but still a leg.

You didn't.

You've got nothing.

Great point...if one completely disregards the legal and financial benefits Big Tech monopolies enjoy
despite the fact they have never really lived up to their end of a bargain with Congress.
Publisher or platform? Which will it be Zuckerberg, Dorsey, etc?

You must chose one and then live up to your choice.

It will be settled by a Supreme Court.
Not necessarily.

First Amendment freedom of association jurisprudence is longstanding, settled, and recently addressed by the Supreme Court – see, BSA v. Dale (2000).

Although conservative judges might be sympathetic to the political right’s unwarranted hostility toward social media, they not going to rule contrary to freedom of association case law because they see it as fundamental to private property rights – an issue near and dear to conservatives.

Such is the irony of the right’s hypocrisy.

This is good and what I hoped for
Let them try and make a public case of why they conduct themselves with undisclosed, one way street censorship.

It will be good to expose this vampire to the light of day and let the public fully witness
Unlike libbies, we fear not the truth
Your contempt for the rule of law, the First Amendment, and the Constitution is noted – as is your typical rightwing hypocrisy.

Social media are private companies, they can run those companies as they see fit, where how they edit content is in no manner ‘censorship.’

Don’t like how a given social medium conducts business – then don’t open an account and don’t participate.

Poor little stupid commie, none of the examples you cited have anything to do with a State law. Also trade groups have no standing to challenge the law, they can't demonstrate current or future harm and a defendant would have to challenge it . It's kind of like challenging a tax, you can't do it until you have actually paid it. To my knowledge not one suit has been filed under the law.

Trade Groups have no standing? For crying out loud, they represent the very companies the FL law targets.

It's difficult for me to understand how people can be this stupid.

It is true that the platform belongs to the company only and as the law is now, they can say no one can say anything on it except what they want them to say.

However, the whole point of the concept of "public utilities" is that things like water and electricity distribution or phone service can quickly get so huge and important to the public welfare that they need to be taken out of private industry and run for the benefit of the public. I believe this is a clear case of that, and that in this country, that means Free Speech.
Wrong.

This fails as a false comparison fallacy.

Social media are not ‘utilities,’ they are nothing like entities such as power companies.

The internet is infinite, there are ample avenues of communication for all views and opinions to be expressed.

Indeed, millions of people with internet access have no FB or Twitter account and are perfectly capable of accessing all manner of news and entertainment and participating in discussion and debate online.

In fact, those with neither a FB nor Twitter account are still able to access that content when posted on other social media or news websites – further proof that social media are not ‘utilities.’

Correct.

There is no ‘right’ to access private social media.

That conservatives are angry at social media because they won’t accommodate rightwing hate speech or because Twitter closed Trump’s account because of Trump’s reckless, irresponsible, and incendiary lies and conspiracy theories is not ‘justification’ to subject social media to government prior restraint and regulation in violation of the First Amendment.

The fact is that Twitter closed Trump’s account consistent with the First Amendment right to freedom of association, an organization’s right to exclude whomever it wishes to not participate for whatever reason.

Just because there is no law against lying per se, does not make lying a a protected form of speech
There is no law against lying because such a law would be un-Constitutional; lying is protected speech in that the First Amendment prohibits government from engaging in that sort of excess and overreach.

But that has nothing to do with social media.

In the context of private social media, lying is in no manner ‘protected.’

If you'd baked that damn cake
And this illustrates the right’s hypocrisy on the subject.

Conservatives are enthusiastic advocates of freedom of association when it comes to private entities excluding gays, blacks, and Muslims – but when private social media exclude those who engage in rightwing hate speech, freedom of association goes out the window.

[As an aside and in anticipation of such a response from some, the Supreme Court in 1964 held that public accommodations laws which prohibit private brick and mortar businesses open to the general public from discriminating based on religion, race, or ethnicity do not violate the right to freedom of association (see, US v. Heart of Atlanta Motel).]

Poor little stupid commie, none of the examples you cited have anything to do with a State law. Also trade groups have no standing to challenge the law, they can't demonstrate current or future harm and a defendant would have to challenge it . It's kind of like challenging a tax, you can't do it until you have actually paid it. To my knowledge not one suit has been filed under the law.

Trade Groups have no standing? For crying out loud, they represent the very companies the FL law targets.

It's difficult for me to understand how people can be this stupid.

ROFLMAO, a trade group is nothing but a lobbyist, they are not the company. That makes a big difference in a legal case. Even the stupid commie that's cheering you on know that.

Forum List

Back