Tech trade groups file lawsuit against Florida's new social media law

Mustang

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2010
39° 44 mins 21 secs N, 104° 59 mins 5 secs W
Like I said, this new Florida media law is going nowhere. It follows a long seemingly endless line of conservative nothing burgers cooked up in the twisted minds of desperate conservatives who are so lazy and too ill-prepared regarding real issues to find a legitimate controversy that they feel like they have to make one up instead.

Let's see, there was Joseph McCarthy's claim that communists had infiltrated the State Department. Hell, that communist canard is still being used on this board today. There was the supposed murder of Vince Fosters by the Clintons. Then there was the one that claimed that Obama was a Muslim and not even a real citizen of the U.S. Oh, and let's not forget BENGHAZI. And last, but certainly not least, there's the "claim," sans evidence, that the 2020 election was stolen from Trump through a massive fraud perpetrated by a massive conspiracy. I have to admit that's my favorite one since it's so preposterous and not supported by any evidence ever presented in any court in any state.

Silly Law, don’t break the social media platforms TOS and you won’t get kicked, that applies to everyone. The platform belongs to the company not the public, thus there’s no right to unregulated speech on them.

Don’t like it, don’t use their services.

Like I said, this new Florida media law is going nowhere. It follows a long seemingly endless line of conservative nothing burgers cooked up in the twisted minds of desperate conservatives who are so lazy and too ill-prepared regarding real issues to find a legitimate controversy that they feel like they have to make one up instead.

Let's see, there was Joseph McCarthy's claim that communists had infiltrated the State Department. Hell, that communist canard is still being used on this board today. There was the supposed murder of Vince Fosters by the Clintons. Then there was the one that claimed that Obama was a Muslim and not even a real citizen of the U.S. Oh, and let's not forget BENGHAZI. And last, but certainly not least, there's the "claim," sans evidence, that the 2020 election was stolen from Trump through a massive fraud perpetrated by a massive conspiracy. I have to admit that's my favorite one since it's so preposterous and not supported by any evidence ever presented in any court in any state.

Got big tech doing your political dirty work. Gutless bozos.

So we don't have to follow the TOS here....if we are in Florida, right?

I didn't file the lawsuit. We'll just have to see if the law is held up in court or if it's thrown out. Constitutional scholars are saying that it's on very shaky legal ground. But DeSantis got to momentarily look like a conservative hero for a while, and that's what it was really all about. Hell, even the public signing on air was phony because he'd already signed the bill earlier. But conservatives clapped like a bunch of trained seals. It was a nice show, but that's all it was.

Last edited:

Apparently not, if you're a politician, they're a protected class in Florida and enjoy special rights that are unavailable to us peasants.

Personally I think the Social Media platforms should just stop accepting Political Ads altogether and be done with it, it would make their content a lot cleaner.

Silly Law, don’t break the social media platforms TOS and you won’t get kicked, that applies to everyone. The platform belongs to the company not the public, thus there’s no right to unregulated speech on them.

When people love tyranny they love tyranny. The crazy thing is that the ones you hate are more productive.

Apparently not, if you're a politician, they're a protected class in Florida and enjoy special rights that are unavailable to us peasants.

Personally I think the Social Media platforms should just stop accepting Political Ads altogether and be done with it, it would make their content a lot cleaner.
Sounds good to me.

When people love tyranny they love tyranny. The crazy thing is that the ones you hate are more productive.
Conservatives think they see tyranny when their favorite ball player on their favorite MLB team is called out on strikes.

Publicize the trade groups names and addresses and put mobs in their yards. Get their phone numbers and family members too. That's what the Democrats do.

Their TOS are vague and aren't enforced equally, so that's obvious horseshit.

desperate conservatives who are so lazy and too ill-prepared regarding real issues to find a legitimate controversy that they feel like they have to make one up instead.
True.

Or…

Conservatives know the law is un-Constitutional, unenforceable, predicated on a lie, and likely to be invalidated by the courts but it will serve the purpose of pandering to the base, keep the base angry, engaged, focused, and headed to the polls next year.

Poor little stupid commie, none of the examples you cited have anything to do with a State law. Also trade groups have no standing to challenge the law, they can't demonstrate current or future harm and a defendant would have to challenge it . It's kind of like challenging a tax, you can't do it until you have actually paid it. To my knowledge not one suit has been filed under the law.

Last edited:

Vague? Perhaps you would care to point out the parts that are vague.

Would anyone care to chime in as to what you all think will happen with this law? Will it stand up to a court challenge, or will it be ruled unconstitutional?

If you're right, you can use this thread as bragging rights. Of course, the opposite is true, as well.
I’m no lawyer but I suspect it will get tossed out in either the State or Federal courts, it seems a clear violation of property rights.

It is their property irregardless of whether that is true or not.

I don't use them at all, I quit years ago, but I do think they should be made public utilities and not be allowed to control speech AT ALL.

If there is incitement to violence or harassment and bullying and videoing crime, take that up with the police. Free speech, all the way.

Forum List

Back