Tech trade groups file lawsuit against Florida's new social media law

Like I said, this new Florida media law is going nowhere. It follows a long seemingly endless line of conservative nothing burgers cooked up in the twisted minds of desperate conservatives who are so lazy and too ill-prepared regarding real issues to find a legitimate controversy that they feel like they have to make one up instead.

Let's see, there was Joseph McCarthy's claim that communists had infiltrated the State Department. Hell, that communist canard is still being used on this board today. There was the supposed murder of Vince Fosters by the Clintons. Then there was the one that claimed that Obama was a Muslim and not even a real citizen of the U.S. Oh, and let's not forget BENGHAZI. And last, but certainly not least, there's the "claim," sans evidence, that the 2020 election was stolen from Trump through a massive fraud perpetrated by a massive conspiracy. I have to admit that's my favorite one since it's so preposterous and not supported by any evidence ever presented in any court in any state.

Got big tech doing your political dirty work. Gutless bozos.
I didn't file the lawsuit. We'll just have to see if the law is held up in court or if it's thrown out. Constitutional scholars are saying that it's on very shaky legal ground. But DeSantis got to momentarily look like a conservative hero for a while, and that's what it was really all about. Hell, even the public signing on air was phony because he'd already signed the bill earlier. But conservatives clapped like a bunch of trained seals. It was a nice show, but that's all it was.

This is Florida. The state that has courts packed with far right judges, including their Supreme Court, ruled that lying is free speech.

A fox so called news journalist refused to lie on the air. He was fired. He filed a lawsuit and lost with the courts saying lying is free speech.

So I'm going to hope the courts in Florida rule against this stupid law but I'm not going to expect them to do so.

RussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiavRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiavvvRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiavRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiavRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiavvvRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiavRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiavRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiavvvRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiavRussiaRussiaRussia

‘"No one, not even someone who has paid a filing fee to run for office, has a First Amendment right to compel a private actor to carry speech on their private property," reads the complaint, which was filed in the US District Court for the Northern District of Florida.’ ibid

Exactly.

But it's Florida.

A state packed with far right judges who in the past twisted themselves and their state constitution into pretzels to rule that lying is free speech.

While I'm going to hope the courts in Florida throw this law out, I'm not going to expect that they would.

Silly Law, don’t break the social media platforms TOS and you won’t get kicked, that applies to everyone. The platform belongs to the company not the public, thus there’s no right to unregulated speech on them.

Don’t like it, don’t use their services.
I don't use them at all, I quit years ago, but I do think they should be made public utilities and not be allowed to control speech AT ALL.

If there is incitement to violence or harassment and bullying and videoing crime, take that up with the police. Free speech, all the way.
IMHO not using them is the best policy, given that they’re essentially giant surveillance and manipulation machines that we’re only now coming to understand all the negative impacts on society of.

However it seems to me that making them “public utilities” and dispensing with their terms of service will just turn them into even more egregious cesspools (think 4Chan on steroids) than they already are while at the same time violating the property rights of their shareholders.

The other consideration is that by essentially crushing Facebook, et al. As competitive businesses will just leave their markets open to foreign companies that we cannot regulate in any meaningful way, I.e. Chinese Facebook, Chinese Twitter, etc.., etc.. Unless of course we setup a walled garden Internet scheme in the U.S. similar to what the Chinese (and others countries) have done (which I am completely AGAINST).

Silly Law, don’t break the social media platforms TOS and you won’t get kicked, that applies to everyone. The platform belongs to the company not the public, thus there’s no right to unregulated speech on them.

Their TOS are vague and aren't enforced equally, so that's obvious horseshit.
Vague? Perhaps you would care to point out the parts that are vague.
here's on example.

New Facebook Terms of Service (TOS) threaten to BAN users who disagree with official government statistics about covid or influenza

It isn't just vague, it's downright Stalinist.

‘"No one, not even someone who has paid a filing fee to run for office, has a First Amendment right to compel a private actor to carry speech on their private property," reads the complaint, which was filed in the US District Court for the Northern District of Florida.’ ibid

Exactly.

But it's Florida.

A state packed with far right judges who in the past twisted themselves and their state constitution into pretzels to rule that lying is free speech.

While I'm going to hope the courts in Florida throw this law out, I'm not going to expect that they would.
Lying is free speech, you fucking moron. Do you really want the government to decide what the truth is?

DeSantis knew better than this & also knew it was destined for the circular file.
Just a desperate attempt to keep his Orange Overlord happy and rile up the MAGA crowd for a likely run in 2024.

Exactly.

But it's Florida.

Won’t matter a whit what Florida does with it. It’s going down probably within next few months.

IMHO not using them is the best policy, given that they’re essentially giant surveillance and manipulation machines that we’re only now coming to understand all the negative impacts on society of.
We started learning the negative impacts of this incredible development when rebellions and wars one after the other were started with the "Arab Spring," all Facebook and Twitter-driven!

That these media outlets were perfect for rebellion became immediately obvious and that's why the CEOs and the government are so worried now and constantly trying to shut everyone up. They ARE perfect for organizing rebellions.

Every single improvement in human communication starts wars. Remember the 200 years of religious wars as a direct consequence of the invention of the printing press. The Gutenbergs and Zuckerbergs never mean for this to happen ---- the first book printed by Gutenberg was a Bible! But presses quickly started turning out a literature of armed rebellion.

The problem with improved human communication is that what most people REALLY want to say is "We hate you and want to kill you!" Look at Internet forums, after all.

RussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiavRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiavvvRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiavRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiavRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiavvvRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiavRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiavRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiavvvRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiaRussiavRussiaRussiaRussia
Yeah, it is a problem. Other countries propagandizing.

This is Florida. The state that has courts packed with far right judges, including their Supreme Court, ruled that lying is free speech.

A fox so called news journalist refused to lie on the air. He was fired. He filed a lawsuit and lost with the courts saying lying is free speech.

So I'm going to hope the courts in Florida rule against this stupid law but I'm not going to expect them to do so.
None of this sounds true or sensible. Of course lying is free speech --- but you are saying a Fox journalist refused to lie on air but was compelled to by the courts? I don't believe that --- Being compelled to say ANYTHING is not free speech!

Like I said, this new Florida media law is going nowhere. It follows a long seemingly endless line of conservative nothing burgers cooked up in the twisted minds of desperate conservatives who are so lazy and too ill-prepared regarding real issues to find a legitimate controversy that they feel like they have to make one up instead.

Let's see, there was Joseph McCarthy's claim that communists had infiltrated the State Department. Hell, that communist canard is still being used on this board today. There was the supposed murder of Vince Fosters by the Clintons. Then there was the one that claimed that Obama was a Muslim and not even a real citizen of the U.S. Oh, and let's not forget BENGHAZI. And last, but certainly not least, there's the "claim," sans evidence, that the 2020 election was stolen from Trump through a massive fraud perpetrated by a massive conspiracy. I have to admit that's my favorite one since it's so preposterous and not supported by any evidence ever presented in any court in any state.

The law is unconstitutional. It won't stand.

It is their property irregardless of whether that is true or not.
So if I own property, that means I can rob whoever comes on it? You idiots are trying to say that having TOS means they can do whatever they want.

Sorry, turd, but that isn't true.

Got big tech doing your political dirty work. Gutless bozos.
So we don't have to follow the TOS here....if we are in Florida, right?
What if the moderator is in FL? Does that mean he or she can't enforce rules at all?

So if I own property, that means I can rob whoever comes on it? You idiots are trying to say that having TOS means they can do whatever they want.

How is that even remotely related to the topic?

It is true that the platform belongs to the company only and as the law is now, they can say no one can say anything on it except what they want them to say.

However, the whole point of the concept of "public utilities" is that things like water and electricity distribution or phone service can quickly get so huge and important to the public welfare that they need to be taken out of private industry and run for the benefit of the public. I believe this is a clear case of that, and that in this country, that means Free Speech.

How is that even remotely related to the topic?
I summarized what you morons are saying.

Would anyone care to chime in as to what you all think will happen with this law? Will it stand up to a court challenge, or will it be ruled unconstitutional?

If you're right, you can use this thread as bragging rights. Of course, the opposite is true, as well.
I’m no lawyer but I suspect it will get tossed out in either the State or Federal courts, it seems a clear violation of property rights.
How so? You could make the same argument about any government regulation. Is being forced to allow homosexuals couples into your hotel a violation of property rights?

Forum List

Back