Tech trade groups file lawsuit against Florida's new social media law

Silly Law, don’t break the social media platforms TOS and you won’t get kicked, that applies to everyone. The platform belongs to the company not the public, thus there’s no right to unregulated speech on them.

Don’t like it, don’t use their services.
It is true that the platform belongs to the company only and as the law is now, they can say no one can say anything on it except what they want them to say.

However, the whole point of the concept of "public utilities" is that things like water and electricity distribution or phone service can quickly get so huge and important to the public welfare that they need to be taken out of private industry and run for the benefit of the public. I believe this is a clear case of that, and that in this country, that means Free Speech.
IMHO social media platforms don’t rise to the level of water and electricity with respect to importance to the “public welfare”, or anywhere near it.

Putting all the issues aside with what essentially would be nationalizing yet more vast swaths of private property, using the line of reasoning that you’re currently pursuing one could make the argument that all the telecommunications companies and broadcast media (Television, Radio, etc..) would need to follow suit.

Personally I don’t like the path where any of that leads since I’m a big proponent of private property rights and completely AGAINST anything that places complete power over it in government hands.

Silly Law, don’t break the social media platforms TOS and you won’t get kicked, that applies to everyone. The platform belongs to the company not the public, thus there’s no right to unregulated speech on them.

Their TOS are vague and aren't enforced equally, so that's obvious horseshit.

It is their property irregardless of whether that is true or not.
So if I own property, that means I can rob whoever comes on it? You idiots are trying to say that having TOS means they can do whatever they want.

Sorry, turd, but that isn't true.
How is that even remotely related to the topic?
I summarized what you morons are saying.
No, you didn't.

Like I said, this new Florida media law is going nowhere. It follows a long seemingly endless line of conservative nothing burgers cooked up in the twisted minds of desperate conservatives who are so lazy and too ill-prepared regarding real issues to find a legitimate controversy that they feel like they have to make one up instead.

Let's see, there was Joseph McCarthy's claim that communists had infiltrated the State Department. Hell, that communist canard is still being used on this board today. There was the supposed murder of Vince Fosters by the Clintons. Then there was the one that claimed that Obama was a Muslim and not even a real citizen of the U.S. Oh, and let's not forget BENGHAZI. And last, but certainly not least, there's the "claim," sans evidence, that the 2020 election was stolen from Trump through a massive fraud perpetrated by a massive conspiracy. I have to admit that's my favorite one since it's so preposterous and not supported by any evidence ever presented in any court in any state.

Like I said, this new Florida media law is going nowhere. It follows a long seemingly endless line of conservative nothing burgers cooked up in the twisted minds of desperate conservatives who are so lazy and too ill-prepared regarding real issues to find a legitimate controversy that they feel like they have to make one up instead.

Let's see, there was Joseph McCarthy's claim that communists had infiltrated the State Department. Hell, that communist canard is still being used on this board today. There was the supposed murder of Vince Fosters by the Clintons. Then there was the one that claimed that Obama was a Muslim and not even a real citizen of the U.S. Oh, and let's not forget BENGHAZI. And last, but certainly not least, there's the "claim," sans evidence, that the 2020 election was stolen from Trump through a massive fraud perpetrated by a massive conspiracy. I have to admit that's my favorite one since it's so preposterous and not supported by any evidence ever presented in any court in any state.

Got big tech doing your political dirty work. Gutless bozos.
So we don't have to follow the TOS here....if we are in Florida, right?

desperate conservatives who are so lazy and too ill-prepared regarding real issues to find a legitimate controversy that they feel like they have to make one up instead.
True.

Or…

Conservatives know the law is un-Constitutional, unenforceable, predicated on a lie, and likely to be invalidated by the courts but it will serve the purpose of pandering to the base, keep the base angry, engaged, focused, and headed to the polls next year.

Look at me! I'm going to make big tech do what I want them to do from my little throne in Florida!

I didn't file the lawsuit. We'll just have to see if the law is held up in court or if it's thrown out. Constitutional scholars are saying that it's on very shaky legal ground. But DeSantis got to momentarily look like a conservative hero for a while, and that's what it was really all about. Hell, even the public signing on air was phony because he'd already signed the bill earlier. But conservatives clapped like a bunch of trained seals. It was a nice show, but that's all it was.

This is Florida. The state that has courts packed with far right judges, including their Supreme Court, ruled that lying is free speech.

A fox so called news journalist refused to lie on the air. He was fired. He filed a lawsuit and lost with the courts saying lying is free speech.

So I'm going to hope the courts in Florida rule against this stupid law but I'm not going to expect them to do so.

‘"No one, not even someone who has paid a filing fee to run for office, has a First Amendment right to compel a private actor to carry speech on their private property," reads the complaint, which was filed in the US District Court for the Northern District of Florida.’ ibid

Exactly.

But it's Florida.

A state packed with far right judges who in the past twisted themselves and their state constitution into pretzels to rule that lying is free speech.

While I'm going to hope the courts in Florida throw this law out, I'm not going to expect that they would.

‘"No one, not even someone who has paid a filing fee to run for office, has a First Amendment right to compel a private actor to carry speech on their private property," reads the complaint, which was filed in the US District Court for the Northern District of Florida.’ ibid

Exactly.

But it's Florida.

A state packed with far right judges who in the past twisted themselves and their state constitution into pretzels to rule that lying is free speech.

While I'm going to hope the courts in Florida throw this law out, I'm not going to expect that they would.

Won’t matter a whit what Florida does with it. It’s going down probably within next few months.

The law is unconstitutional. It won't stand.
Haha...Listen to all you shameless fascists champion the suppression of speech.
Look, ALL legit, real, core Americans EXPECT to be able to exercise their freedom to say whatever they want anytime and anywhere they want.
Only you disturbed America hating commies would support bias speech suppression of any kind.

Big tech. Like democrats hate freedom of speech and will shut it down whenever it fits them.
What else is new.

desperate conservatives who are so lazy and too ill-prepared regarding real issues to find a legitimate controversy that they feel like they have to make one up instead.
True.

Or…

Conservatives know the law is un-Constitutional, unenforceable, predicated on a lie, and likely to be invalidated by the courts but it will serve the purpose of pandering to the base, keep the base angry, engaged, focused, and headed to the polls next year.

Look at me! I'm going to make big tech do what I want them to do from my little throne in Florida!

I didn't file the lawsuit. We'll just have to see if the law is held up in court or if it's thrown out. Constitutional scholars are saying that it's on very shaky legal ground. But DeSantis got to momentarily look like a conservative hero for a while, and that's what it was really all about. Hell, even the public signing on air was phony because he'd already signed the bill earlier. But conservatives clapped like a bunch of trained seals. It was a nice show, but that's all it was.

This is Florida. The state that has courts packed with far right judges, including their Supreme Court, ruled that lying is free speech.

A fox so called news journalist refused to lie on the air. He was fired. He filed a lawsuit and lost with the courts saying lying is free speech.

So I'm going to hope the courts in Florida rule against this stupid law but I'm not going to expect them to do so.

Exactly.

But it's Florida.

Exactly.

But it's Florida.

Won’t matter a whit what Florida does with it. It’s going down probably within next few months.

Look, ALL legit, real, core Americans EXPECT to be able to exercise their freedom to say whatever they want anytime and anywhere they want.
Only you disturbed America hating commies would support bias speech suppression of any kind.
Nobody is suppressing your speech or anyone else's. Unless FL's first amendment violation stands, that is.

Exactly.

But it's Florida.

I don't understand.

This is going through the courts in Florida. So it will be what Florida does with it. Is the case filed in federal court? If so, I still won't hold my breath since it will end up in front of the Supreme Court.

How will it go down in the next few months? Our court system takes a long time to wind a case to completion. Especially when rulings are appealed.

Exactly.

But it's Florida.

I don't understand.

This is going through the courts in Florida. So it will be what Florida does with it. Is the case filed in federal court? If so, I still won't hold my breath since it will end up in front of the Supreme Court.

How will it go down in the next few months? Our court system takes a long time to wind a case to completion. Especially when rulings are appealed.

I’d rank Florida judges kookier than most federal judges and even SCOTUS.
They’ll surrender after about the third or fourth smackdown.
Floridians won’t put up with wasting any more of their tax dollars.

If I was the lawyer in this challenging the law I would frame it in two ways.

Freedom of speech.

Contract law.

People signed a contract with the owners of the website when they clicked the box to agree with the TOS rules. They agreed to follow the rules and that the company can throw them off the site if they violate the rules and that contract.

So to me, it's a simple case of people violating a contract, agreeing to the consequences of violating that contract then coming back to demand that they aren't held to the contract they signed when they violated that contract.

No one is forced to sign up on a website. There was no duress to sign that contract, the person is over 18 and they were of sound mind when they signed it so the contract is valid.

I would not rule in favor of that law.

Exactly.

But it's Florida.

I don't understand.

I’d rank Florida judges kookier than most federal judges and even SCOTUS.
They’ll surrender after about the third or fourth smackdown.
Floridians won’t put up with wasting any more of their tax dollars.

It doesn't matter who wins in court along the way.

It will be settled by a Supreme Court. Whether it's the state Supreme Court or not.

Exactly.

When a company portrays themselves as a common carrier they are bound by public accommodation laws. Plus failing to act as a common carrier they are committing a fraud on the public.

IMHO social media platforms don’t rise to the level of water and electricity with respect to importance to the “public welfare”, or anywhere near it.
Well, you could certainly successfully make that argument, given the wars and rebellions and riots and flash mobs started on these social media.

HOWEVER, whether it is a good thing or not isn't maybe the point: it's that so incredibly many people, nearly everyone all over the world, uses them and so much of society today is organized on the basis of participation in these media communications. I don't say it's good --- I say it's nearly universal and thus needs to be regulated for the public good, and in America, that's SUPPOSED to mean free speech. China quickly realized that and organized it for their national or cultural "good," if their control is good, not my favorite.

Lots of utilities or near-utilities like highways and bridges and telephones and water (with fluoride, maybe?) are not liked by everybody, but once things rise to a considerable or universal importance, they had better be organized by the government, or we'll have these baby Fascists like Zuckerberg doing it by default, and he clearly has no idea at all what he's doing, poor guy.

This is an interesting argument, and the difference in our opinions on this is probably a pretty important thing going on right now.

When a company portrays themselves as a common carrier they are bound by public accommodation laws. Plus failing to act as a common carrier they are committing a fraud on the public.
Interesting. You think Facebook and Twitter are already portraying themselves as common carriers ---- I agree. This is one of the more important issues of our time (because it is THE best way to organize successful rebellion and overthrow the governments, plural) but I don't think a lot of people recognize that. Some of us do.

Exactly.

But it's Florida.

Politicians and you commies prove lying is free speech every day. And you're trying to fault the courts for confirming that? Tell the class what the penalty should be for lying.

If you own the soapbox, hop on up there and spew.

The platforms use arbitrary and capricious rules to silence people they don't like. That's called "Illegal Restraint of Trade"

Don't want legal trouble, apply the rules EQUALLY.

True.

Or…

Exactly.

But it's Florida.

Exactly.

But it's Florida.

Nobody is suppressing your speech or anyone else's. Unless FL's first amendment violation stands, that is.
Facebook, twitter and youTube are suppressing our freedom of speech, moron.

If I was the lawyer in this challenging the law I would frame it in two ways.

Freedom of speech.

Contract law.

People signed a contract with the owners of the website when they clicked the box to agree with the TOS rules. They agreed to follow the rules and that the company can throw them off the site if they violate the rules and that contract.

So to me, it's a simple case of people violating a contract, agreeing to the consequences of violating that contract then coming back to demand that they aren't held to the contract they signed when they violated that contract.

No one is forced to sign up on a website. There was no duress to sign that contract, the person is over 18 and they were of sound mind when they signed it so the contract is valid.

I would not rule in favor of that law.
Facebook is a protected monopoly. If it wants to be a publisher, then it will be subject to lawsuits.

True.

Or…

Exactly.

But it's Florida.

Exactly.

But it's Florida.

Facebook, twitter and youTube are suppressing our freedom of speech, moron.
Ope. You can say whatever you want in your house, just not in theirs.

Interesting. You think Facebook and Twitter are already portraying themselves as common carriers ---- I agree. This is one of the more important issues of our time (because it is THE best way to organize successful rebellion and overthrow the governments, plural) but I don't think a lot of people recognize that. Some of us do.

Have you seen the FB ads that claim they are bringing people together. They don't say it only applies to people that agree with their world view and politics. That's fraud and a basis to sue them under consumer protection laws.

This is good and what I hoped for
Let them try and make a public case of why they conduct themselves with undisclosed, one way street censorship.

It will be good to expose this vampire to the light of day and let the public fully witness
Unlike libbies, we fear not the truth

New Topics

Forum List

Back