Teacher Shortage? Self-Imposed?

Dude...pour out the booze. Sleep it off. Then get some professional help.
You know what teachers generally think and what their retirement plans are because you went to school for a while?

Take your own advice.

What's that? You're talking out your ass? Thought so.
Look, I get that you are an apologist for your fellow teachers. I expect there is very little a teacher can do that you will not fall over yourself defending. I also understand that your entire life is trolling this site.

I have sadly seen some teachers who do not even seem to like children. Not many, but some.

My first thought is usually along the lines of, just get out. Get out.

And my second is, wow. This must be torturous for you. You don't even like these humans' company. Ouch.
I don't recall ever feeling that my teachers 'liked' me. They did have their favorite students however...the smarter ones. Even our gym teachers favored the kids who were the better athletes. The rest of us were largely ignored. They also assumed that everyone knew the rule of the games. Most of us didn't.

Look, I get that you are an apologist for your fellow teachers. I expect there is very little a teacher can do that you will not fall over yourself defending. I also understand that your entire life is trolling this site.
There is no end of this ^^^ kind of trolling, but try to actually discuss education and.........

Many teachers cited disruptive classroom behavior as a reason for quitting.

That one broad who posts here all the time is constantly bitching about wanting to quit.

When I was a very young, excited teacher (I loved teaching then and still do), the summers off didn't feel as necessary as they do now. As it is, we get 10 weeks. My husband gets almost this now in the corporate world.

At any rate, teaching is demanding and if you eliminated the time off no one would do it for long.
I mean, lots of jobs are demanding. And none of them get sabbaticals or several months off in the summer, plus spring break, plus every bankers holiday on the calendar.

I don’t begrudge teachers their time off, but the time off is for the students, not the teachers.

I mean, lots of jobs are demanding. And none of them get sabbaticals or several months off in the summer, plus spring break, plus every bankers holiday on the calendar.

I don’t begrudge teachers their time off, but the time off is for the students, not the teachers.

I dated and was friends with a teacher in Amarillo for several years. And yes, while a lot of people think that teachers get the same amount of time off that students do, that isn't exactly true. Teachers show up a week or so prior to the school year to make sure things are lined up for the students, and are there a week after school ends to tie up loose ends. Additionally, many of those holidays that the students get off, the teachers show up to school for taking care of things that can't be done while students are there.

I used to think that teachers had an easy job up until I dated one and saw all the extra stuff she did behind the scenes.

Ya wanna know where the REAL racket is? Military. Yes, the hours can suck, yes deployments can be tedious, but you DO get off all major holidays, some that only bankers and government workers get, as well as get 30 days paid vacation every year with unlimited sick leave.

I'm a free market type. If the job is so easy with such great perks, people will flock to it and fight tooth and nail to keep it.

And yet, the 10 weeks "off" in the summer is no longer worth it.

And yet, we can't fill the positions we have open.

And yet, teachers are quitting mid-year.

Maybe for this reason, as just one example: I am taking Monday off and will put in about two hours of work writing sub plans for it. Unpaid time, of course.

I'm a free market type. If the job is so easy with such great perks, people will flock to it and fight tooth and nail to keep it.

And yet, the 10 weeks "off" in the summer is no longer worth it.

And yet, we can't fill the positions we have open.

And yet, teachers are quitting mid-year.

Maybe for this reason, as just one example: I am taking Monday off and will put in about two hours of work writing sub plans for it. Unpaid time, of course.
Classic case of being the victims of their own success. :omg:

I fear that there is more than one elephant in the room when discussing the critical national shortage of teachers (the mythical shortage of teachers?), but here is a big one:

Teachers typically RETIRE in their early 50's. Most Americans retire in their late 60's. There would be a shortage of EVERYTHING if everyone retired at such a young age. Teachers decline to participate in the last 25% of their working lives. Or rather, they are paid and incentivized to not-work for the last 25% of what would be a normal career.

The reason, we are told, is "burnout." Teachers just cannot be expected to work to 66 and beyond because the work is just too demanding, emotionally. OK. It would certainly be so for me.

But how about this? What if teachers were given a sabbatical year after every six years of employment, when they would get, say, 70% of their full pay to work on some project of their own devising, related to either teaching or to their area(s) of expertise? Then they could be expected to work until the "normal"retirement age, per SS guidelines (full retirement).

If workable, this makes more sense than retirement at 52.

But is it workable?

Let's see...a Sabbatical year at age 29, 36, 43, 50, 57, and 63...retire at 66. Works for me!
There is no teacher shortage. I have my masters in education and could not get hired anywhere as a teacher, neither could many of my classmates. You would go to interviews and there would be like 20+ other candidates they were interviewing for the job opening. After 4 years of searching for that teaching job that never came I just gave up and let my license expire. I learned the hard way they just weren't interested in hiring a half Cherokee American Indian who was short stature.

So instead I turned to low wage jobs, truck driving, and healthcare.

There is no teacher shortage. I have my masters in education and could not get hired anywhere as a teacher, neither could many of my classmates. You would go to interviews and there would be like 20+ other candidates they were interviewing for the job opening. After 4 years of searching for that teaching job that never came I just gave up and let my license expire. I learned the hard way they just weren't interested in hiring a half Cherokee American Indian who was short stature.

So instead I turned to low wage jobs, truck driving, and healthcare.

Don't know how long ago this was--but it has changed now. Rather than your heritage, the mistake you made was going in with a Master's. They don't want to pay people Master's salary with no experience. That's why the advice is to get your job first, with just the Bachelor's, THEN get your Master's degree.

Forum List

Back