Teacher Shortage? Self-Imposed?

Teachers just cannot be expected to work to 66 and beyond because the work is just too demanding, emotionally.

Wouldn't you have to care, at least a little, about the little snot-noses to be emotionally invested in them?

ScarceAgedBedbug-small.gif

Wouldn't you have to care, at least a little, about the little snot-noses to be emotionally invested in them?

View attachment 743195

I have sadly seen some teachers who do not even seem to like children. Not many, but some.

My first thought is usually along the lines of, just get out. Get out.

And my second is, wow. This must be torturous for you. You don't even like these humans' company. Ouch.

This must be torturous for you. You don't even like these humans' company.

I can see it ... lots of people do dirty, menial, useless jobs, and deal with it by knowing that this pays for their swimming pool.

Being a teacher is a lot like being a zookeeper. None of the little animals want to be there. A very few of them will be clever enough to do a few tricks, but they won't last very long ... a few years and they're on to other things, college or jail.

Zookeepers can't get emotionally in the animals for which they care. They just feed them, make sure they breed responsibly, and note down on a clipboard when they throw feces at each other.

All you can do is hope there's a dart gun handy if they turn on you.

601px-JP1SPAS12-1.jpg

I can see it ... lots of people do dirty, menial, useless jobs, and deal with it by knowing that this pays for their swimming pool.

Being a teacher is a lot like being a zookeeper. None of the little animals want to be there. A very few of them will be clever enough to do a few tricks, but they won't last very long ... a few years and they're on to other things, college or jail.

Zookeepers can't get emotionally in the animals for which they care. They just feed them, make sure they breed responsibly, and note down on a clipboard when they throw feces at each other.

All you can do is hope there's a dart gun handy if they turn on you.

View attachment 743197

Some kids hate school. But a lot of kids love school, and need it. Look how poorly kids did without school for weeks and months.

Generally, the younger ones really need school. High school is when some do better with virtual school, etc.

In a district where I used to teach they followed the very foolish policy of turning over the entire staff every few years so they could keep paying kids right out of college the lowest rate possible. This was a very tough district, and I saw more than a few first year teachers literally run out of the building in the middle of the day, crying, never to be seen again.

I fear that there is more than one elephant in the room when discussing the critical national shortage of teachers (the mythical shortage of teachers?), but here is a big one:

Teachers typically RETIRE in their early 50's. Most Americans retire in their late 60's. There would be a shortage of EVERYTHING if everyone retired at such a young age. Teachers decline to participate in the last 25% of their working lives. Or rather, they are paid and incentivized to not-work for the last 25% of what would be a normal career.

The reason, we are told, is "burnout." Teachers just cannot be expected to work to 66 and beyond because the work is just too demanding, emotionally. OK. It would certainly be so for me.

But how about this? What if teachers were given a sabbatical year after every six years of employment, when they would get, say, 70% of their full pay to work on some project of their own devising, related to either teaching or to their area(s) of expertise? Then they could be expected to work until the "normal"retirement age, per SS guidelines (full retirement).

If workable, this makes more sense than retirement at 52.

But is it workable?

Let's see...a Sabbatical year at age 29, 36, 43, 50, 57, and 63...retire at 66. Works for me!
School districts simply cannot afford that idea.

Join the military. Not only do you get food, clothing and a place to live, but all national holidays off, 30 days paid vacation per year (and you can sell up to 60 days of that leave you earned per career), as well as the fact that you can retire after only 20 years with a pension and health care for the rest of your life.

Joining the military and serving a full career (over 20 years) is much better than any job out there.
Yes, especially if you choose a job where you really face no pressure, no heavy workload , and endless opportunities to explore your homosexuality, like YOU did!

Is it fair to say that there are (at least) two different paradigms for teachers - the unionized teachers and everybody else?

Where I live, teachers DO NOT leave teaching for another job. It's the best gig going. Half the teachers in my school district are making six figures; the average is $95k. Where else are they going to go?

Non union places are different. That's why I think Dept of Education should be publishing recommended payscales and benefit packages. Optional, of course, but strongly recommended.

Is it fair to say that there are (at least) two different paradigms for teachers - the unionized teachers and everybody else?

Where I live, teachers DO NOT leave teaching for another job. It's the best gig going. Half the teachers in my school district are making six figures; the average is $95k. Where else are they going to go?

Non union places are different. That's why I think Dept of Education should be publishing recommended payscales and benefit packages. Optional, of course, but strongly recommended.
It is none of their business as to pay. The reason your teachers make so much is a much higher cost of living. I also doubt your numbers. The average is not likely to be that high. Do you have a good link?

Yes, especially if you choose a job where you really face no pressure, no heavy workload , and endless opportunities to explore your homosexuality, like YOU did!

Wow....................shows how much you know about what I did. But, ,what else can I expect from someone like yourself who claims he knows everything about everyone, when in reality they know nothing.

Yeah, Personnelman (titless Wave as we are called) was my primary job. But, if you really were in the Navy, you know what collateral duties are. PN was my primary, but I was also inport and at sea fire party, PRP team member, Security Force member, PRT Coordinator, and did my last tour as the LPO of a MEPS for 2 1/2 years. Wanna talk pressure? Try Mission Day in recruiting sometime.

Wow....................shows how much you know about what I did. But, ,what else can I expect from someone like yourself who claims he knows everything about everyone, when in reality they know nothing.

Yeah, Personnelman (titless Wave as we are called) was my primary job. But, if you really were in the Navy, you know what collateral duties are. PN was my primary, but I was also inport and at sea fire party, PRP team member, Security Force member, PRT Coordinator, and did my last tour as the LPO of a MEPS for 2 1/2 years. Wanna talk pressure? Try Mission Day in recruiting sometime.
I had 30 of them. as I was the district EPO and I made goal for 30 months straight, something no district could ever do. My Chief Recruiter went 10 years missing goal. He was sidelined by a medical problem right before I went back to sea. The district missed goal 2 months after I left, the first time in over 10 years.

I had 30 of them. as I was the district EPO and I made goal for 30 months straight, something no district could ever do. My Chief Recruiter went 10 years missing goal. He was sidelined by a medical problem right before I went back to sea. The district missed goal 2 months after I left, the first time in over 10 years.

I myself never missed goal when I was in charge of MEPS Amarillo, from the time I took over as LPO/Head Classifier, all the way up until I retired (around 30 months myself). Matter of fact, San Antonio kept wondering why after I'd been there for around 6 months, we were able to finish processing all the enlistees by anywhere from 1700 to 2000, whereas they were still finishing off the last enlistees at 2400, and didn't leave until around 0100 the next morning. Even had MCPO Garza come up after I'd been there a year to find out how I'd been able to streamline the process, so he could take back some of what we did in Amarillo back. After I'd retired? They ended up missing goal 10 months in a row, and had to send someone up from San Antonio (A GS8 no less) to come and straighten things out. Seems that the person who took over after me didn't have a spine and allowed the recruiters to run all over them.

Well you seem to distrust and even hate everyone except animals, so there's that.

She's your basic five and dime nut.

I have sadly seen some teachers who do not even seem to like children. Not many, but some.

My first thought is usually along the lines of, just get out. Get out.

And my second is, wow. This must be torturous for you. You don't even like these humans' company. Ouch.

They generally are counting the days to summer vacation and/or a fat pension.

What are you, twelve?

Forum List

Back