Status
Not open for further replies.

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
5bbaabf71f000000022592bf.jpeg

Taylor Swift Dives Into Politics, Backs Tennessee Dem Candidate For Senate

“In the past I’ve been reluctant to publicly voice my political opinions, but due to several events in my life and in the world I feel differently about that now,” Swift wrote.

Singer Taylor Swift got political on Sunday, declaring her support for Tennessee’s Democratic candidate for U.S. Senate, Phil Bredesen.

“In the past, I’ve been reluctant to publicly voice my political opinions, but due to several events in my life and in the world, I feel differently about that now,” Swift, who was criticized by some for remaining relatively silent during the 2016 election, wrote in an Instagram post.

taylorswift I’m writing this post about the upcoming midterm elections on November 6th, in which I’ll be voting in the state of Tennessee. In the past I’ve been reluctant to publicly voice my political opinions, but due to several events in my life and in the world in the past two years, I feel very differently about that now. I always have and always will cast my vote based on which candidate will protect and fight for the human rights I believe we all deserve in this country. I believe in the fight for LGBTQ rights, and that any form of discrimination based on sexual orientation or gender is WRONG. I believe that the systemic racism we still see in this country towards people of color is terrifying, sickening and prevalent.
I cannot vote for someone who will not be willing to fight for dignity for ALL Americans, no matter their skin color, gender or who they love. Running for Senate in the state of Tennessee is a woman named Marsha Blackburn. As much as I have in the past and would like to continue voting for women in office, I cannot support Marsha Blackburn. Her voting record in Congress appalls and terrifies me. She voted against equal pay for women. She voted against the Reauthorization of the Violence Against Women Act, which attempts to protect women from domestic violence, stalking, and date rape. She believes businesses have a right to refuse service to gay couples. She also believes they should not have the right to marry. These are not MY Tennessee values. I will be voting for Phil Bredesen for Senate and Jim Cooper for House of Representatives. Please, please educate yourself on the candidates running in your state and vote based on who most closely represents your values. For a lot of us, we may never find a candidate or party with whom we agree 100% on every issue, but we have to vote anyway.
So many intelligent, thoughtful, self-possessed people have turned 18 in the past two years and now have the right and privilege to make their vote count. But first you need to register, which is quick and easy to do. October 9th is the LAST DAY to register to vote in the state of TN. Go to vote.org and you can find all the info. Happy Voting!​

More: Taylor Swift Dives Into Politics, Backs Tennessee Dem Candidate For Senate

Thank you, Taylor Swift, for publicly voicing your political opinions. Your voice matters. Marsha Blackburn’s voting record also “appalls and terrifies me.” Tennessee residents only have TWO more days to register to vote. October 9th (Tuesday) is the deadline. Register! Vote!

Taylor Alison Swift (born December 13, 1989) is an American singer-songwriter. One of the world's leading contemporary recording artists, she is known for narrative songs about her personal life, which have received widespread media coverage.

Born and raised in Pennsylvania, Swift moved to Nashville, Tennessee at the age of 14 to pursue a career in country music.

During the 2008 presidential campaign, Swift promoted the Every Woman Counts campaign, aimed at engaging women in the political process, and was one of many country stars to record a PSA for the Vote (For Your) Country campaign.[313] She stated: "I don't think it's my job to try and influence people which way they should vote."[12] FollowingBarack Obama's inauguration, she told Rolling Stone that she supported the president: "I've never seen this country so happy about a political decision in my entire time of being alive. I'm so glad this was my first election."[314]

In a 2012 interview, Swift remarked that in spite of keeping herself "as educated and informed as possible", she does not discuss politics, fearing that it might influence other people.[315] Writing about media pressure on Swift to publicly take political stances, Politico called Swift "studiously apolitical".[316] Swift has spent time with the Kennedy family[317]and has spoken of her admiration for Ethel Kennedy.[210] Swift is also a feminist.[318] She has spoken out against LGBT discrimination. Following the 2008 murder of Larry King, she recorded a GLSEN PSA to combat hate crimes.[319] On the first anniversary of King's death, Swift told Seventeen that her parents taught her "never to judge others based on whom they love, what color their skin is, or their religion".[320] The music video for Swift's anti-bullying song "Mean" deals in part with homophobia in high schools; the video was nominated for an MTV VMA social activism award in 2011.[321][322] The New York Times believes she is part of "a new wave of young (and mostly straight) women who are providing the soundtrack for a generation of gay fans coming to terms with their identity in a time of turbulent and confusing cultural messages".[321] Prior to the 2018 midterm elections, Swift endorsed Rep. Jim Cooper for the House of Representatives and former Governor of Tennessee, Phil Bredesen for Senate. She also spoke out against Bredesen's opponent, Marsha Blackburn, stating that her voting record 'appalled' and 'terrified' her. Swift also expressed her desire for LGBTQ+ and human rights, condemning systematic discrimination and racism.[323]

Taylor Swift - Wikipedia

She sounds like a fine young lady. Will country music try to ostracize her like the Dixie Chicks?

Last edited:

“In the past I’ve been reluctant to publicly voice my political opinions, but due to several events in my life and in the world I feel differently about that now,” Swift wrote.

Singer Taylor Swift got political on Sunday, declaring her support for Tennessee’s Democratic candidate for U.S. Senate, Phil Bredesen.

“In the past, I’ve been reluctant to publicly voice my political opinions, but due to several events in my life and in the world, I feel differently about that now,” Swift, who was criticized by some for remaining relatively silent during the 2016 election, wrote in an Instagram post.

taylorswift I’m writing this post about the upcoming midterm elections on November 6th, in which I’ll be voting in the state of Tennessee. In the past I’ve been reluctant to publicly voice my political opinions, but due to several events in my life and in the world in the past two years, I feel very differently about that now. I always have and always will cast my vote based on which candidate will protect and fight for the human rights I believe we all deserve in this country. I believe in the fight for LGBTQ rights, and that any form of discrimination based on sexual orientation or gender is WRONG. I believe that the systemic racism we still see in this country towards people of color is terrifying, sickening and prevalent.
I cannot vote for someone who will not be willing to fight for dignity for ALL Americans, no matter their skin color, gender or who they love. Running for Senate in the state of Tennessee is a woman named Marsha Blackburn. As much as I have in the past and would like to continue voting for women in office, I cannot support Marsha Blackburn. Her voting record in Congress appalls and terrifies me. She voted against equal pay for women. She voted against the Reauthorization of the Violence Against Women Act, which attempts to protect women from domestic violence, stalking, and date rape. She believes businesses have a right to refuse service to gay couples. She also believes they should not have the right to marry. These are not MY Tennessee values. I will be voting for Phil Bredesen for Senate and Jim Cooper for House of Representatives. Please, please educate yourself on the candidates running in your state and vote based on who most closely represents your values. For a lot of us, we may never find a candidate or party with whom we agree 100% on every issue, but we have to vote anyway.
So many intelligent, thoughtful, self-possessed people have turned 18 in the past two years and now have the right and privilege to make their vote count. But first you need to register, which is quick and easy to do. October 9th is the LAST DAY to register to vote in the state of TN. Go to vote.org and you can find all the info. Happy Voting!​

More: Taylor Swift Dives Into Politics, Backs Tennessee Dem Candidate For Senate

Thank you, Taylor Swift, for publicly voicing your political opinions. Your voice matters. Marsha Blackburn’s voting record also “appalls and terrifies me.” Tennessee residents only have TWO more days to register to vote. October 9th (Tuesday) is the deadline. Register! Vote!

Taylor Swift should shut up and sing. Her opinion carries no more weight than any else.

Wow, another liberal trying to make a few extra bucks.

So we should listen to Taylor Swift but not Kanye West? Sounds kind of like hypocrisy to me.

Wow, another vapid, Leftist Celebrity. I'm shocked, shocked!!!

]Do you live in Tennessee?

Irrelevant. The point is that “society” only wants us to listen to LIBERAL or PROGRESSIVE celebrities. Conservative or Republican supporting celebrities need to be silenced and humiliated by any means possible.

No, it's not "irrelevant" - because she carries a lot of weight with millions of young potential voters.

stupid idiotic Swift .....loser!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! L L L Loser!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

another Chinese Hollywood paid moron....and traitor.

spit on her!

Irrelevant. The point is that “society” only wants us to listen to LIBERAL or PROGRESSIVE celebrities. Conservative or Republican supporting celebrities need to be silenced and humiliated by any means possible.

No, it's not "irrelevant" - because she carries a lot of weight with millions of young potential voters.
........Millions of young potential voters..........whose major problem is trying to get rid of their zits.

We should all applaud young people getting involved in politics. Taylor Swift is 28 and has millions of fans.

Her gender is the first disqualification for her comments. Her celevrity ststus is number two. The fact that she’s encouraging another group that shouldn’t be allowed to vote (youth) is the third strike.

........Millions of young potential voters..........whose major problem is trying to get rid of their zits.

she is a loser.....

she should find a job in McDonald's

Shooooo loser woman!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back