Tara, The Christmas Dog

EvilCat Breath

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2016
It was my first Christmas with the law office closed and the pet grooming salon open. I was alone, 9pm, Christmas Eve cleaning up the last of the fur, putting the last wet towels into the laundry. The door was locked. There was a banging on the door. "Please open. Please. You're my last chance." It was a young man carrying a limp black Labrador retriever. He was almost crying. "Please. My dog is dying."
"You need a veterinarian. I can't help you." I did not want to open the door," even if I did not believe that this young man carrying a dying dog meant me harm.
"My dog is dying, I want to give her one last joy. Please help us." The man spoke with a thick Irish brogue. I would help the dog who looked like every breath could be her last. I opened the door, against my better judgment. It was Christmas Eve, after all.
"This is Tara. I've had her since she was a puppy. She has always liked to water and loved to swim. If she could just be in the water one last time. I believe she would die happy. One last time."
I shook my head sadly. All I have is the bathtub."
"It will do." He carried Tara into the back and laid her gently into the big bathtub. I could not fill the tub, but I could run the warm water over her. I turned on the gentle stream and allowed it to run over Tara's weak body. Her eyes closed.
The man told me about Tara as a young dog. She loved to swim and the two went swimming and fishing in lakes all over Ireland. Tara could even fish. She would dive down and come up with a fat wiggling fish in her mouth. She loved the water.
As I played the spray over her, Tara began weakly moving her paws. As if she was swimming. In her dying mind, she was back in Ireland swimming and fishing in the lakes and running in the hills. She was a puppy again secure in the love of her person. Tara came to the United States with her companion. The two of them fished and swam in the ocean and in the lakes. Then Tara started showing some age. She no longer went into deep water but stayed close to shore and closer to the boat. She wore a life vest. She still enjoyed her outings and still enjoyed her swims.
I began drying her off, rubbing her down with dry towels. Getting her a dry as possible. I did not want to put her under a drying. She could not move her head, but she ran her tongue out, looking for something to kiss. I bent to kiss her nose and got a slurp on my own. Tara is a good girl.
The young man picked her up and carried her to the front counter. He laid her carefully on the floor and turned. "How much do I owe you.?"
I could not accept any payment. "It is Christmas Eve, I have done a small service for a dying dog. I cannot accept payment. I just can't. God would never forgive me. Think of it as my present to Tara."
"No. I must pay. No one else would open for us." He put $50.00 on the counter and turned to pick Tara up. She was gone. Her head lay to the side pink tongue lolling from her mouth. The man burst into heart breaking sobs. "My girl. My everything."
I opened the door for him to carry Tara to the car and put the money in his pocket. I could not, would not take money for caring for the dog.
After Christmas when I opened the salon I found an envelope with $50.00 in it. I took it envelope an all and donated it to Four Paws Rescue in the name of Tara.
Another year and another Christmas Eve. It was busy as all holidays are. I heard a familiar voice with a thick Irish brogue. "This is Riley. He's learning how to surf." I was the same man with a big pit bull. Riley did like his bath. He liked scrubbing the salt out of his short fur. He was quite generoous with his kisses too. I took him back to his owner who gave me a $50.00 bill. "I got him at Four Paws Rescue. I'm lucky he's such a surfer."

Last edited:
It was my first Christmas with the law office closed and the pet grooming salon open. I was alone, 9pm, Christmas Eve cleaning up the last of the fur, putting the last wet towels into the laundry. The door was locked. There was a banging on the door. "Please open. Please. You're my last chance." It was a young man carrying a limp black Labrador retriever. He was almost crying. "Please. My dog is dying."
"You need a veterinarian. I can't help you." I did not want to open the door," even if I did not believe that this young man carrying a dying dog meant me harm.
"My dog is dying, I want to give her one last joy. Please help us." The man spoke with a thick Irish brogue. I would help the dog who looked like every breath could be her last. I opened the door, against my better judgment. It was Christmas Eve, after all.
"This is Tara. I've had her since she was a puppy. She has always liked to water and loved to swim. If she could just be in the water one last time. I believe she would die happy. One last time."
I shook my head sadly. All I have is the bathtub."
"It will do." He carried Tara into the back and laid her gently into the big bathtub. I could not fill the tub, but I could run the warm water over her. I turned on the gentle stream and allowed it to run over Tara's weak body. Her eyes closed.
The man told me about Tara as a young dog. She loved to swim and the two went swimming and fishing in lakes all over Ireland. Tara could even fish. She would dive down and come up with a fat wiggling fish in her mouth. She loved the water.
As I played the spray over her, Tara began weakly moving her paws. As if she was swimming. In her dying mind, she was back in Ireland swimming and fishing in the lakes and running in the hills. She was a puppy again secure in the love of her person. Tara came to the United States with her companion. The two of them fished and swam in the ocean and in the lakes. Then Tara started showing some age. She no longer went into deep water but stayed close to shore and closer to the boat. She wore a life vest. She still enjoyed her outings and still enjoyed her swims.
I began drying her off, rubbing her down with dry towels. Getting her a dry as possible. I did not want to put her under a drying. She could not move her head, but she ran her tongue out, looking for something to kiss. I bent to kiss her nose and got a slurp on my own. Tara is a good girl.
The young man picked her up and carried her to the front counter. He laid her carefully on the floor and turned. "How much do I owe you.?"
I could not accept any payment. "It is Christmas Eve, I have done a small service for a dying dog. I cannot accept payment. I just can't. God would never forgive me. Think of it as my present to Tara."
"No. I must pay. No one else would open for us." He put $50.00 on the counter and turned to pick Tara up. She was gone. Her headlay to the side pink tongue lolling from her mouth. The man burst into heart breaking sobs. "My girl. J

That almost made me cry.

Not everyone is a Hemingway or Hawthorne. What matters most is if the story creates a picture show in the mind- if it evokes emotion.

There's really no need to be ugly about anyone's writing.

Last edited:
Not everyone is a Hemingway or Hawthorne. What matters most is if the story creates a pcture show in the mind and if it evokes emotion.

I think there is , but that's another topic and here it is concerned about painting a real picture of a culture and not some sentimental , virtue signalled piece of sentimental nonsense .
But imho

Not everyone is a Hemingway or Hawthorne. What matters most is if the story creates a pcture show in the mind and if it evokes emotion.

I have had many of my stories published. I can tell if someone is expressing an opinion or just wants to be smarmy/

I think there is , but that's another topic and here it is concerned about painting a real picture of a culture and not some sentimental , virtue signalled piece of sentimental nonsense .
But imho
Ohhhh CULTURE. I don't care about culture. Actually, I really don't care about anyone's culture.

Ohhhh CULTURE. I don't care about culture. Actually, I really don't care about anyone's culture.

Me either. Congrats on being published. Some have been after me to try and get some of my short stories published, but I never have.

Me either. Congrats on being published. Some have been after me to try and get some of my short stories published, but I never have.
it was awhile ago. I quit writing when I went to law school and figured that was enough fiction for anyone. It isn't as easy to get short fiction published now as it was when there were lots of magazines. I used a book called Writers Market for possible sales. I think it' still around. Maybe even on line.

I had a number of stories that came out of that Pet Grooming Salon. Tara always comes to mind at Christmas. But there were many others.

it was awhile ago. I quit writing when I went to law school and figured that was enough fiction for anyone. It isn't as easy to get short fiction published now as it was when there were lots of magazines. I used a book called Writers Market for possible sales. I think it' still around. Maybe even on line.

LOL! I do believe I have that!

Our little bitty newspaper will publish some of my stuff about stuff and nonsense. Humorous mostly about living here. I always chicken out.

Yeah- I love short story collections, but they were never as popular as full length novels. Too bad.

Forum List

Back