Tacos and Other Possibly Illegal Food

One of the most astonishing things about Colorado is the inability to understand Fajitas. They don't get it. I've been to places where they just cut a skirt steak into thick slices, I mean 4X THICK 2" slices, and give you a raw sliced onion....Other places, give you a pile of fried green onion and a few hamburger crumbles.

So, I make my own.

However, finding skirt steak isn't easy, and then when I go I gotta ask some bewildered Safeway Meat Counter guy to tenderize it.

Why is it that everytime I hear the world "Albuquerque", I think "I should have made a left there"?

Bugs Bunny always said that when he popped from a hole and was confronted by Elmer Fudd.

I know when I'm in NM when I go through Raton Pass and hit the 60 mile long trailor park beside I 25 South.

wow, that's a big trailer park.

That wasn't a trailer park, it was Bernalillo. And it was really just 7 miles...

Bugs Bunny always said that when he popped from a hole and was confronted by Elmer Fudd.

I know when I'm in NM when I go through Raton Pass and hit the 60 mile long trailor park beside I 25 South.

That wasn't a trailer park, it was Bernalillo. And it was really just 7 miles...

Too bad; you pass the scraggly "Welcome to New Mexico," sign that needs a fresh coat of pait, and is swinging in the wind by one, unbroken hinge, then you drive through miles of circa 1972 mobile homes, each of which seems to house 47 Mexican's under the age of 10.

the best part of the illegal alien invasion after katrina was the taco stands. REAL tacos. also having a girlfriend who grew up in south california and loves cooking mexican helps as well. we are also lucky to have casa garcia's around here, even though its a chain they do everything fresh at each site and its damn good & authentic

Too bad; you pass the scraggly "Welcome to New Mexico," sign that needs a fresh coat of pait, and is swinging in the wind by one, unbroken hinge, then you drive through miles of circa 1972 mobile homes, each of which seems to house 47 Mexican's under the age of 10.

I have yet to see this...

the best part of the illegal alien invasion after katrina was the taco stands. REAL tacos. also having a girlfriend who grew up in south california and loves cooking mexican helps as well. we are also lucky to have casa garcia's around here, even though its a chain they do everything fresh at each site and its damn good & authentic

Four restaurants in three cities is barely a chain. Unless you are referrring to a different Casa Garcia's...

Four restaurants in three cities is barely a chain. Unless you are referrring to a different Casa Garcia's...

anything more than one is a chain around here. very distrustful of places that may think they can get away with using some non-fresh product imported from elsewhere and frozen along the way

I have to say that some of you do seem to have your act together on this. We New Mexicans can sometimes be a bit snobbish when it comes to proper Mexican food, but we probably don't corner the whole market. :)

New Mexico is the only state with an official state question approved by the legislature and signed by the governor though: "Red or Green?"

I though NM was the only state that had a Constitution written in Spanish?

I've vacationed in Albequerque....went up the mountain, bought a sweater....drove through Santa Fe and stopped for lunch....but I gotta tell yas, I don't think you miss much by driving through NM at night and it might increase the opportunity for a UFO to stop and probe you.

The view from the Sandia crest at night is the best...and they have a great restaurant up there too. Did you ride the Tram?

My first time through Albuquerque Was at sunset heading west on I-40, came upon the Sandia crest, east of the city unexpectantly. Land of Enchantment indeed. I was doing a 3 day run from Hicksville, NY to San Diego, Ca., did it in 3 sunsets. Didn't sleep much. The most beautiful part of the trip wasn't San Diego. :):):)

Why not 1/2 & 1/2??? Huh????

Your chilies are not hot enough, your insurance is too high, & your traffic jams don't even make any sense. So there!!! Your chinese food sucks too!!! :eek: ;) :lol:

Oh Boo! You and Samson!

I got some green chili once that was so hot neither Hubby nor I, neither novices to really spicy food, could eat it. So I made burritos out of it and our son, the fire eater, snarfed them right down.

Does your local paper run articles on how to treat chili burns during roasting season every fall? Ours does.

Albuquerque has more Asian restaurants--Japanese, Chinese, Thai, Vietnamese, etc.--than San Francisco, most are run by immigrant Asians, and many of them are superb.

I have driven in San Francisco, LA, Chicago, St. Louis, Dallas, Houston and even during rush hour, Albuquerque traffic is a stroll in the park by comparison.

I'll give you the traffic jams make no sense though. I swear some of our intersections were designed by a drunk leading a blind mule in a snowstorm. But no place is perfect.

What Chinese places do you like, I haven't found a really good one.

Driving in California sucks (can't speak for the other cities/states). At least our roads make sense, and most go straight through to your destination. CA roads just stop and then turn into another street that curves in another direction. Then pick up somewhere across town for no good reason. I spent most of my time lost while there.

Take Out's around here could do allot better too.

What's up Sampson? You got an Ex living there or something? Did you get kicked out of the state for something embarrassing? It's not like you are referring to New Jersey or Louisiana ??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Last edited:

I've vacationed in Albequerque....went up the mountain, bought a sweater....drove through Santa Fe and stopped for lunch....but I gotta tell yas, I don't think you miss much by driving through NM at night and it might increase the opportunity for a UFO to stop and probe you.

The view from the Sandia crest at night is the best...and they have a great restaurant up there too. Did you ride the Tram?

My first time through Albuquerque Was at sunset heading west on I-40, came upon the Sandia crest, east of the city unexpectantly. Land of Enchantment indeed. I was doing a 3 day run from Hicksville, NY to San Diego, Ca., did it in 3 sunsets. Didn't sleep much. The most beautiful part of the trip wasn't San Diego. :):):)

The Sandias get their name from a phenomenon that occurs at sundown when conditions are just right. The rocky face of the Crest begins to release the heat as the day begins to cool, and if the light is just right, there is a magnificent watermelon colored glow until the sun completely sets.

Tondreau_La_Cueva_Sunset.jpg

And Samson is just yanking our chains guys. If he has been in New Mexico he found lots of stuff to appreciate. But there's stuff not to admire too, so. . . . .

By the way Samson, for fajitas I recommend Papa Felipes or El Pinto in Albuquerque, Tomasitas in Santa Fe, or Zebediahs in Angel Fire.

The Sandias get their name from a phenomenon that occurs at sundown when conditions are just right. The rocky face of the Crest begins to release the heat as the day begins to cool, and if the light is just right, there is a magnificent watermelon colored glow until the sun completely sets.

And Samson is just yanking our chains guys. If he has been in New Mexico he found lots of stuff to appreciate. But there's stuff not to admire too, so. . . . .

By the way Samson, for fajitas I recommend Papa Felipes or El Pinto in Albuquerque, Tomasitas in Santa Fe, or Zebediahs in Angel Fire.

I really am yankin' your chain: New Mexico is wonderful except for everything outside Santa Fe and Albuquerque. Never been to Angelfire

Thanks for the tips on Fajitas, but I miss going into a Fiesta Grocery Store in Houston, picking up pre-tenderized packages of FAMILY SIZED Skirt Steak, marinating them in a maragrita, then grilling them up with poblanos and onions out on the deck with the stereo blaring Musica Mexicano whilst I drink Carta Blanca Beer.

I really am yankin' your chain: New Mexico is wonderful except for everything outside Santa Fe and Albuquerque. Never been to Angelfire

Thanks for the tips on Fajitas, but I miss going into a Fiesta Grocery Store in Houston, picking up pre-tenderized packages of FAMILY SIZED Skirt Steak, marinating them in a maragrita, then grilling them up with poblanos and onions out on the deck with the stereo blaring Musica Mexicano whilst I drink Carta Blanca Beer.

There are two real get away states New Mexico and Wyoming, only one that is really accessible year round. Maybe it's just that I'm into photography, but check out some of the Indian Ruin's. There's a place called "The Ancient Way", close to the Zuni mountains. if you like to hike. A Power place. ;)

Angel Fire is a ski resort in the northern Sangre de Cristos - hang a left (east) at Taos and it is about 25 miles through some of New Mexico's most scenic country. Lots of folks live there year round. About 10 miles up the road is Eagle Nest with some of the state's best trout fishing. The lake freezes over every winter and offers great ice fishing. Some of the best fajitas I've ever had were at Zebediah's in Angel Fire, but I like to make my own too.

Lights of Albuquerque...and a sunset too.

albuquerque-night.jpg

Hey Foxfyre...we seem to visit alot of the same places. Bet we have seen each other before. Papa Felipes is a nice place,my mother loves to go there. She's been there so often they know her by name, and when she would take my kids when they were smaller...they would give them Shirley Temples with extra cherries as they sat down (my kids were in heaven). They have great fish tacos there too.

Hey Foxfyre...we seem to visit alot of the same places. Bet we have seen each other before. Papa Felipes is a nice place,my mother loves to go there. She's been there so often they know her by name, and when she would take my kids when they were smaller...they would give them Shirley Temples with extra cherries as they sat down (my kids were in heaven). They have great fish tacos there too.

Haven't tried their tacos--I'm pretty much a fajita and enchilada person, but we do enjoy Papa Felipes. For larger groups though we opt for El Pinto who can usually accommodate any size gathering and their food has been excellent lately.

Tomasitas in Santa Fe is great too. We've taken the train up as the restaurant is right there at the depot, have lunch, and take the train home again. Fun thing to do. Santa Fe also offers freequent free shuttles to and from from the depot to downtown or Canyon Road or the capital complex.

Forum List

Back