Supreme Court strikes down Republican voter suppression in Ohio

Chris

Gold Member
May 30, 2008
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The Supreme Court is backing Ohio elections officials in an ongoing dispute over allegations of voter registration fraud.

Ohio Secretary of State Jennifer Brunner filed the emergency appeal with the U.S. Supreme Court.

The justices in an unsigned opinion Friday blocked a lower court order directing the Ohio Secretary of State -- a Democrat -- to update the state's voter registration database after information provided by some newly registered voters did not match up with Social Security and driver registration numbers.

The state Republican party had asked for enforcement of a temporary restraining order, but the justices ultimately denied that request.

The appeal, from Secretary of State Jennifer Brunner and other elections officials, follows a Tuesday ruling from the 6th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Cincinnati that sided with the state GOP.

It ordered Brunner to create a system by Friday to provide a list of newly registered voters whose Social Security numbers or driver's license numbers do not match their names.

By reversing the lower courts decision, Brunner said in a statement that the Supreme Court's had "protected the voting rights of all Ohioans, allowing our bipartisan elections officials to continue preparing for a successful November election.

"We filed this appeal to protect all Ohio voters from illegal challenges and barriers that unfairly silence the votes of some to the advantage of others," she said.

Supreme Court backs Ohio officials in election dispute - CNN.com

Voter suppression and rigging and fraud are always topical, in my book. Good to see people passionate about it.

On both sides, it is topical, all manner of fraud from double stuffing to electronic.

I know, you know that I meant that, just want to be clear. :)

On both sides, it is topical, all manner of fraud from double stuffing to electronic.

I know, you know that I meant that, just want to be clear. :)
meh, the dems screamed for the machines after 2000, i was against em
i prefer the simple method of voting, paper ballots that can be optically scanned to speed the counting process
but then you still have the ballots for a hand recount if needed
i've used all kinds in my life, never had a problem with any
even the simple punch card butterfly ballot

and some want to go with instant runoff ballots where you "rank" your picks
if people cant use the simple ballots now, how do we make it more difficult
lol
i would like runoffs, but only if on the main ballot the highest vote getter gets less than 50%+1

Forum List

Back