Supreme Court rules that voucher-like program cannot discriminate against religious schools

Seymour Flops

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2021
Texas
Held: Maine’s “nonsectarian” requirement for otherwise generally available tuition assistance payments violates the Free Exercise Clause

The court's reasoning:

The principles applied in Trinity Lutheran and Espinoza suffice to resolve this case. Maine offers its citizens a benefit: tuition assistance payments for any family whose school district does not provide a public secondary school. Just like the wide range of nonprofit organizations eligible to receive playground resurfacing grants in Trinity Lutheran, a wide range of private schools are eligible to receive Maine tuition assistance payments here. And like the daycare center in Trinity Lutheran, the religious schools in this case are disqualified from this generally available benefit “solely because of their religious character.” 582 U. S., at ___.

Likewise, in Espinoza, as here, the Court considered a state benefit program that provided public funds to support tuition payments at private schools and specifically carved out private religious schools from those eligible to receive such funds. Both that program and this one disqualify certain private schools from public funding “solely because they are religious.” 591 U. S., at ___. A law that operates in that manner must be subjected to “the strictest scrutiny.” Id., at ___–___. Maine’s program cannot survive strict scrutiny. A neutral benefit program in which public funds flow to religious organizations through the independent choices of private benefit recipients does not offend the Establishment Clause.

I disagree with the idea of taxing "everyone" so that "everyone's" kids can be educated. It's a wrongheaded idea in the first place, and it never works out in practice that everyone pays and that everyone gets the education. But, if we are going to use tax dollars for public education, some kind of vouchers are the best way to go among the many bad options. Obviously, Maine feels that they best way to provide under-served secondary students is to offer them vouchers, but for whatever reason, it decided to disallow religious school students this benefit.

That has been corrected, now.

One more little chip struck from the establishment clause. It's going to be interesting to see Christian types still try to keep money away from schools ran by other faiths.

I agree with the decision since the voucher program only exists because there is no public school option in the area. I will be fine with school vouchers generally as soon as the government makes college free. Until then, screw vouchers when there is a public option.

One more little chip struck from the establishment clause. It's going to be interesting to see Christian types still try to keep money away from schools ran by other faiths.
If they do that, they will be wrong.

Do you have some examples, so I can express my disapproval?

If they do that, they will be wrong.

Do you have some examples, so I can express my disapproval?
Were dealing with people who have an agenda that has nothing to do with fairness or freedom for any religion other than evangelical Christianity.

Tax money going to religious institutions obviously means their existence is to some degree maintained and might even enlarge. How does that escape establishment?

So, no examples, thanks!
How can I give you examples of how the Christian nationalists will be hypocrites in a future that has not happened yet? With this court they are far from done and they will eventually come after something you like. Zealots never stop once they get a little power.

Tax money going to religious institutions obviously means their existence is to some degree maintained and might even enlarge. How does that escape establishment?
The money is going for education, to an institution that provides secondary education in an area in which the government has failed to do so. The money is not meant for a specific religion.

Barring all religion-based schools from receiving the money would be in effect establishing atheism as the official religion of the state of Maine.

Public schools were established because there were people in charge who understood the necessity for a democracy to have educated citizens. It was and is an investment in the government of the Republic, not well fare or "free stuff". As with the common effort made for defense, a common effort is made for the education of citizens, which is at least as important.
Assuring that such a school system maintain proper standards relies upon valid oversight.

How can I give you examples of how the Christian nationalists will be hypocrites in a future that has not happened yet? With this court they are far from done and they will eventually come after something you like. Zealots never stop once they get a little power.
Ah.

I misunderstood this line:

"It's going to be interesting to see Christian types still try to keep money away from schools ran by other faiths."

To mean that they are already doing it, and they will still try to do it. I guess you mean that they will still (in spite of the ruling) try to keep the money away from other faiths?

Maybe they will. Let me know, and I'll be outraged. I'll let you enjoy being outraged about something that hasn't happened yet.

The money is going for education, to an institution that provides secondary education in an area in which the government has failed to do so. The money is not meant for a specific religion.

Barring all religion-based schools from receiving the money would be in effect establishing atheism as the official religion of the state of Maine.
Establishing one or all religions equally violates the Constitution. Establishing atheism as a religion would only be establishing an oxymoron.

Establishing one or all religions equally violates the Constitution. Establishing atheism as a religion would only be establishing an oxymoron.
The ruling makes religious private schools equal to non-religious private schools, as far as eligibility for public funding.

Held: Maine’s “nonsectarian” requirement for otherwise generally available tuition assistance payments violates the Free Exercise Clause

The court's reasoning:

The principles applied in Trinity Lutheran and Espinoza suffice to resolve this case. Maine offers its citizens a benefit: tuition assistance payments for any family whose school district does not provide a public secondary school. Just like the wide range of nonprofit organizations eligible to receive playground resurfacing grants in Trinity Lutheran, a wide range of private schools are eligible to receive Maine tuition assistance payments here. And like the daycare center in Trinity Lutheran, the religious schools in this case are disqualified from this generally available benefit “solely because of their religious character.” 582 U. S., at ___.

Likewise, in Espinoza, as here, the Court considered a state benefit program that provided public funds to support tuition payments at private schools and specifically carved out private religious schools from those eligible to receive such funds. Both that program and this one disqualify certain private schools from public funding “solely because they are religious.” 591 U. S., at ___. A law that operates in that manner must be subjected to “the strictest scrutiny.” Id., at ___–___. Maine’s program cannot survive strict scrutiny. A neutral benefit program in which public funds flow to religious organizations through the independent choices of private benefit recipients does not offend the Establishment Clause.

I disagree with the idea of taxing "everyone" so that "everyone's" kids can be educated. It's a wrongheaded idea in the first place, and it never works out in practice that everyone pays and that everyone gets the education. But, if we are going to use tax dollars for public education, some kind of vouchers are the best way to go among the many bad options. Obviously, Maine feels that they best way to provide under-served secondary students is to offer them vouchers, but for whatever reason, it decided to disallow religious school students this benefit.

That has been corrected, now.

My wife was a Lutheran School teacher.

We sent our sons to a private Lutheran school.

Our grandchildren all go to a Lutheran school.

Good ruling!!!!!

Public schools were established because there were people in charge who understood the necessity for a democracy to have educated citizens. It was and is an investment in the government of the Republic, not well fare or "free stuff". As with the common effort made for defense, a common effort is made for the education of citizens, which is at least as important.
Assuring that such a school system maintain proper standards relies upon valid oversight.

I suspect that Lutheran school had much higher academic standards than the public schools in the state.

The Lutheran school system is high quality just like the Catholic system.

Isn't it worth noting that the six Conservatives on the Court voted to not allow discrimination based upon religion and the three Liberals wanted to discriminate? That just shows you what assholes the Liberals are.

Ah.

I misunderstood this line:

"It's going to be interesting to see Christian types still try to keep money away from schools ran by other faiths."

To mean that they are already doing it, and they will still try to do it. I guess you mean that they will still (in spite of the ruling) try to keep the money away from other faiths?

Maybe they will. Let me know, and I'll be outraged. I'll let you enjoy being outraged about something that hasn't happened yet.
We are entering new territory with this court. Speculation is all we have, that and the lessons of history. One of the things that have kept us free is that we have a defense against the church ladies down at the first baptist church deciding what we can do for fun and copulation.

I will be fine with school vouchers generally as soon as the government makes college free.
The government can't make college free.
It can only redistribute wealth, from those with means to those with needs, to pay for it.

Forum List

Back