Suppresion of the truth

Working Man

Aug 22, 2004
No matter what your political bent is, or your favorite theme for posting on this board, I guess you have the right to be heard. For the most part I find this board pretty open for just about anything. That is good. However, I have seen several instances when people are attacked, sort of on a personal level for expressing their points of view.

That is not cool. Also, what would happen if their was no "points and rep"???
I understand that the system is part of this board. Fine. But,, just for argument sake, does anyone else believe that the tone, or content would change if no points would be added, or subtracted for what one posts? Would no points to gain or lose allow people to post more freely without fear of losing a favorable "peer" response???

I accept this board for what it is, and as it is. But I am currious if anyone has had this question answered, or asked before.

Does anyone here actually edit themselves based on a fear of getting bad rep. points or a desire to get good rep. points?!?! I really feel that for the most part, people just say what they want here...for good or for bad...and allow people to react as they may. I know that is what I do...I have gotten many positive comments, obviously...and I'm happy that people here have agreed or enjoyed my points. But I have received my share of negative rep...and while some of it has really frosted my ass...I like people being able to respond to me in a quick, to-the-point way.

Having frequented other message boards...I can tell you that I LOVE the rep system, because it stops people from responding with pointless little "YEA! I agree!" or "Boo! You suck!" posts, filling up a thread with uselessness rather than conversation. Under the system on this board, I can simply let the person know privately that I agree or disagree...and get on with the dialogue.

Changing the rep system would not change the tone of the board. The assholes would continue to be assholes...the reasonable people would continue to be reasonable. The only thing the rep adds is a way for you to gauge whether your opinion has been well-received by the people on the board. This can be a good thing or a bad thing depending upon your opinion.

For example - someone who is quite calm, rational and reasonable - but who has viewpoints that drastically differ from many of the people on the board might end up with a lot of negative rep. Is that fair? Maybe, maybe not. In a different example, someone with a lot of positive rep. might find it hard to be taken seriously at first by a newcomer on the board with a different political slant - the newbie might feel that someone who is that well-received on the board couldn't possibly be open-minded enough to listen to their opinions.

Every board has its issues - but I think that the rep system helps more than it hurts by keeping the quick little comments private and by allowing people to quickly and privately respond to people without crowding the thread. I think that some people misuse it by giving negative rep simply because people don't have the same opinions - but I think that for the most part it is used appropriately for people to express agreement and/or thanks for making a good point or expressing themselves in an interesting, poignant, or new way...or to express disapproval, disappointment, or disgust in the way the author chose to make his point.

I dont think the rep system does much at all. But i do like it because I can learn what I have said that people like or dont like. Its rather interesting because sometimes I will post something that I feel is pretty good and it wont get repped, but then ill post something almost casually and it will and i have to look back and see what it is I said. Its more of an added bonus than anything else. I would continue to post here without the rep system as i would on other boards and i dont think people negatively repping me would keep me from posting what I thought is correct.

So i really do find it irrelevant.

Forum List

Back