Suicide bombing in Russia

Successive suicide bombings in Russia kill over 30

MOSCOW (AP) — A suicide bomber killed 14 people aboard an electric bus in the southern Russian city of Volgograd during the Monday morning rush hour, and authorities believe it was the work of the same group that set off a bomb at the railway station a day earlier. Together more than 30 people were killed in the explosions, putting the city of one million on edge and highlighting the terrorist threat Russia is facing as it prepares to host February's Winter Games in Sochi, President Vladimir Putin's pet project. While terrorists may find it hard to get to the tightly guarded Olympic facilities, the bombings have shown they can hit civilian targets elsewhere in Russia with shocking ease.

Successive suicide bombings in Russia kill over 30 | CNS News

This is not good for anyone planning on traveling to the Olympics....extremists are everywhere.

MOSCOW (AP) — A suicide bomber killed 14 people aboard an electric bus in the southern Russian city of Volgograd during the Monday morning rush hour, and authorities believe it was the work of the same group that set off a bomb at the railway station a day earlier. Together more than 30 people were killed in the explosions, putting the city of one million on edge and highlighting the terrorist threat Russia is facing as it prepares to host February's Winter Games in Sochi, President Vladimir Putin's pet project. While terrorists may find it hard to get to the tightly guarded Olympic facilities, the bombings have shown they can hit civilian targets elsewhere in Russia with shocking ease.

I'm trying to figure out the angle of doing the bombings now, instead of during the olympics.

They wouldnt even have to bomb Sochi, just bombing Voglagrad(Tsaryistn/Stalingrad) at the same time the Olympics were going on would have a huge impact.

Doing it early just puts security on alert, not sure why they are doing this without guessing and one of my guesses puts me in the CT zone.

I'm trying to figure out the angle of doing the bombings now, instead of during the olympics.

They wouldnt even have to bomb Sochi, just bombing Voglagrad(Tsaryistn/Stalingrad) at the same time the Olympics were going on would have a huge impact.

Doing it early just puts security on alert, not sure why they are doing this without guessing and one of my guesses puts me in the CT zone.

Who said suicide bombers had to be smart?:eusa_eh:

Who said suicide bombers had to be smart?:eusa_eh:

They dont have to be, but if they are, I'm wondering what the angle is.

IMO...The bombing s now are a message that they can be done. The security net around the olypic venues is ti extent to 1500 miles,( as reported this am NBC NEws...for what that's worth), and no-one without credentials will be allowed into this zone....Eh right!

Personally, I don't think that the terrorists will be that successful with Russian security, unlike the present Administration in the US...I think Russia will shoot first, and not question at all.....Gary

This is not good for anyone planning on traveling to the Olympics....extremists are everywhere.
True. However, this terrorist act occurred some 700 miles from the area that will host the Olympics. If I know the Russians, I am sure that security around the site of the Olympics will be reinforced.

However if between now and the start of the Olympics, someone does manage to successfully launch an attack on the site itself, then all bets are off (ie the games could very well be cancelled).

Forum List

Back