Successful email spoofing is getting real

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
This is akin to the email spoofing Ringle mentioned before...

You get an email from a company you autopay. Utilities, bank loans - you name it.
It comes from the correct email address. It has your correct payment amounts/correct account numbers - everything is correct.
The email tells you they have changed banks, and you need to route your payment to the new accounts. Includes a link that actually does that. Only the account belongs to the hacker.

it is sweeping the nation. And it is working.
BEWARE OF ANY EMAILS TELLING YOU TO CHANGE BANK INFO.

This is akin to the email spoofing Ringle mentioned before...

You get an email from a company you autopay. Utilities, bank loans - you name it.
It comes from the correct email address. It has your correct payment amounts/correct account numbers - everything is correct.
The email tells you they have changed banks, and you need to route your payment to the new accounts. Includes a link that actually does that. Only the account belongs to the hacker.

it is sweeping the nation. And it is working.
BEWARE OF ANY EMAILS TELLING YOU TO CHANGE BANK INFO.

My Lord never do anything unless you call your bank etc. So sad so many still fall for this email scam bs

I'm still waiting on the 14 million I inherited from a Nigerian princess. Any day now she tells me

My Lord never do anything unless you call your bank etc. So sad so many still fall for this email scam bs

I'm still waiting on the 14 million I inherited from a Nigerian princess. Any day now she tells me
This one is different.
It comes from the correct email account from whoever you pay money to.
It has all your info correct in the email, name, address, account numbers, payment amounts, your correct balance.
It isn't one of those OBVIOUS scam emails written in weird, broken English promising you money.

In most email programs, you can expand the address to see the actual email address and not the spoofed alias.

It only takes a click to check it.

Also, so many of these come from foreign language versions of OS and even if the font is English, it will be noticeably foreign.

There are many telltale signs in these spoofed emails.

But, if you're still not sure, Sloopy is right, call your bank.

This one is different.
It comes from the correct email account from whoever you pay money to.
It has all your info correct in the email, name, address, account numbers, payment amounts, your correct balance.
It isn't one of those OBVIOUS scam emails written in weird, broken English promising you money.
That was a joke

I always advise people not to send funds through a computer if they can help it period. Everything debited of mine goes through my checking or a credit card. Anyone I do business with just has my ghost email address. It has no purpose

In most email programs, you can expand the address to see the actual email address and not the spoofed alias.

Also, so many of these come from foreign language versions of OS and even if the font is English, it will be noticeably foreign.

No.
It comes from the real address.
that is the deal. The hackers are successfully hacking the institution, including their real email servers.
You get the email from the right email address
In fact, in many cases it will contain the body of a past real email.

True, but the spoofers are getting better and better. It is also easy for a person who is in the middle of some multitasking to simply click on a link before thinking about it with a phishing email.

A clue will probably be some sense of urgency about whatever it is they are trying to get you to do--either you need to do it right away or you get a change of instruction at the very last minute. That is a big thing about wirefraud--they try to get you to fall victim before you have time to think about it or verify anything.

Phone spoofing too it would seem, rendering Caller ID useless.

Forum List

Back